DIY'ers: who has made their own projector screen? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

DIY'ers: who has made their own projector screen?

I am about to pickup a 1080p Mitsubishi projector in a week or two, and have been looking at the cost of projector screens from a supplier vs building one. Who all has made their own and how did it turn out? Any links to plans, how to's, pics etc would be appreciated. I think I can build one for less than $150 and have it turn out pretty nice, and be far less than the $499 and up supplier bought ones. FYI I am looking at the screen being 86"-92"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Ted
Opulance. I has it.

You could get the wall paint and do it that way
Posted via Mobile Device
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
You could get the wall paint and do it that way
Posted via Mobile Device
What product and where is it sold?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Ted
Opulance. I has it.

Can't post links, but just google it. Projector paint or projection paint
Posted via Mobile Device
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Doing things the lazy way

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/pr...screen-1.shtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR
You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Lifer

I made my own from Wilson Art Designer White Laminate. I really like it for several reasons. It was cheap, it is easy to clean (kids fingers do horrible things to most screens), It works great and It is huge (over 11 feet across). I have less than $150 in it. Several builds over at AVS forums. http://72.9.159.100/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1250379

generic signature
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Old school 4-eye'd

I made mine. I made a frame, used some screen paper stuff my mom had left over from their build; wrapped around and stapled it along the outside. Works great.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Lifer

My cousin took some pvc pipe, and a sail boat sail and went to town. It works pretty well. It is HUGE though. You can only watch it in his backyard.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 05:01 PM
We lost one.....

I made mine for around $45. Made a frame, picked up some blackout cloth, pulled it as tight as I could and stapled it. Then hit it with Kilz and 2 coats of Behr Silverscreen.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Lifer

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 07:36 AM
Lifer

I made mine and it was such a PITA only because I was trying to get fancy. I decided I wanted to do a mirror type screen. I forget the name but basically its a mirror that is painted with a home made screen paint and the mirror bounces the light back at the backside of the screen paint increasing the brightness. Problem is I decided to go too big so finding a acrylic mirror that was 5'x9' (122in diag) was hell. I ended up getting a sheet of clear plexi and tried applying that mirror like home window tint to the backside to act like mylar. I screwed it up and ended up painting the backside white then coated the front with a paint I mixed using directions on the AVS forums.

If I had to do it all over again I would have just made a wooden frame, stretched blackout cloth over it and painted the cloth with the same paint I mixed. So much easier and you can get some big sized screens that way. I think we are about to build one for a buddy that is getting his first house.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 08:12 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

check out the avsforum under diy screen i did mine but its ever chaning so i keep trying new things.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 08:30 AM
lol, this place sucks now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark04 View Post
I made my own from Wilson Art Designer White Laminate. I really like it for several reasons. It was cheap, it is easy to clean....
/thread
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Lifer

Only problem with bare laminate is you would have a major bright spot. I cant think of the proper term (hotspot?). On the cheap, I have heard foam boards from home depot work good and you can get them in 4x8 and cut them down. Then just paint with screen paint.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I thought about cutting down a 4*8 sheet of mdf, and painting it with the paint mixture and adding a felt edged frame. It would be smooth and extremely flat.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
I thought about cutting down a 4*8 sheet of mdf, and painting it with the paint mixture and adding a felt edged frame. It would be smooth and extremely flat.
Use that same tile board that I had mine made out of it worked perfectly. Just look it up on AVS and get off this po' dunk site :P

I'm defending my home with a martial art: Klik-Pau

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
Only problem with bare laminate is you would have a major bright spot. I cant think of the proper term (hotspot?). On the cheap, I have heard foam boards from home depot work good and you can get them in 4x8 and cut them down. Then just paint with screen paint.

did you do some research on this or assuming?
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 07:43 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
And HEAVY. MDF will work real nice but like I mentioned earlier. Home Depot sells a foam board with a smooth surface on it in the construction materials section that works just like MDF but is feather light. Most people glue it to the wall. MDF would probably work better if you wanted to hang it on a french cleat so you can remove it later though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4 View Post
did you do some research on this or assuming?
If your reffering to bare laminate then its just common sense. Laminate has a shiney surface and would produce a hot spot from hell. If your talking about painted laminate then I could see it working.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 08:35 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
And HEAVY. MDF will work real nice but like I mentioned earlier. Home Depot sells a foam board with a smooth surface on it in the construction materials section that works just like MDF but is feather light. Most people glue it to the wall. MDF would probably work better if you wanted to hang it on a french cleat so you can remove it later though.

If your reffering to bare laminate then its just common sense. Laminate has a shiney surface and would produce a hot spot from hell. If your talking about painted laminate then I could see it working.
So you're just assuming. Got it.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 08:56 AM

allow me

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-laminate.html

You simply can't beat the Wilson Art 'Designer White' laminate for the price/performance/usability/ease of use. There are some who have mentioned slight hotspotting, but bear in mind that even slight hotspotting can occur on much more expensive store bought screens. So with all things considered, laminate will be the way I go (again) when I do another one.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 09:26 AM

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

You are the man. Will look into it this weekend
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Lifer

Thats great info. Slight hotspots is fine but when I think laminate I picture bad hotspotting due to the finish. This may be the way to go for ease and I like the fact that it can go to a 124" picture. I am going to be building a buddy of mine a screen for his new house but after helping build my 122" light fusion screen he decided on a easier foam board setup but is limited to a 4x8 sheets. This may be a good solution to a slightly bigger screen without the headache.

BTW silver fire is the paint I used to paint my screen and if you can do a laminate without painting then that will be the way to go. I spent about $75 on paints to mix the SF and it was a total pain in the ass to get the mix right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement