car audio help - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
you stinky bitch

car audio help

I want to add a sub and change out a set of components to my stock stereo without changing the head unit. I know that this would normally sound like poo but I was wondering if a product like this....

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?prod_id=369

.....would help with the sound quality? I want to run separate amps for both the sub and the components if that matters... Will this give me better audio quality than the stock head unit will and will it be even close to something that an aftermarket head unit will give?

Best something in Texas.... just don't know what it is yet....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 08:04 PM
Lifer

I have never used one but yes that should make it sound great. The only issue I have with them is usually they require the head unit's volume to stay in one place and you use a volume knob wired to the processor. Kind of a pain.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 03:21 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Depends upon the model of car/radio. For some cars you will need a summing device in front of the cleansweep. Some processors have summing built in. Some brands tell you that you can use the car's volume control BUT if the output is not the same over the full volume range, the stereo will sound different at low volume than high (usually less bass at high volume). So, JL is trying to give you a flat signal at X volume on your deck and then when you use the JL knob, the volume can increase/decrease and the EQ curve is the same. However, the clean sweep does not have summing built in, 500 bands of automatic EQ adjustment, time correction, and crossover setting as well as user controls and presets like the Alpine PXE-H660. I have used both. Both work.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

just do not try to use it with a bose system will not work well at all cannot adjust itself or any amplyfied system for that matter
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
you stinky bitch

I am trying to add this to my 08' jeep wrangler along with a JL 8w7 and a set of focal components that I got a great deal on. So you are saying that the alpine unit does all that stuff that you mentioned? I want to get it right the first time and the JL unit is just the first one I looked at. I am not biased to any brand.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 12:56 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline 6 View Post
I am trying to add this to my 08' jeep wrangler along with a JL 8w7 and a set of focal components that I got a great deal on. So you are saying that the alpine unit does all that stuff that you mentioned? I want to get it right the first time and the JL unit is just the first one I looked at. I am not biased to any brand.
Sounds like the beginnings of a nice, small system. Good luck keeping it in a Wrangler, though. Got a hard top?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
you stinky bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv View Post
Sounds like the beginnings of a nice, small system. Good luck keeping it in a Wrangler, though. Got a hard top?
lol, yeah its got a hard top. I also keep it in the garage at home and I park in a secured area with regular patrol here at work.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 02:33 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline 6 View Post
lol, yeah its got a hard top. I also keep it in the garage at home and I park in a secured area with regular patrol here at work.
Right on, then. I bet it will sound good, but I can imagine that the craving for more bass would become overwhelming.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 04:17 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by want1 View Post
just do not try to use it with a bose system will not work well at all cannot adjust itself or any amplyfied system for that matter
what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement