Buying a receiver that does not have HDMI in (only optical). Please help! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Buying a receiver that does not have HDMI in (only optical). Please help!

Okay, so I am getting a steal on a 7.1 setup, only drawback is the receiver does not have HDMI in/out.

I have a 60" LG 1080p plasma that has 4 HDMI inputs and has optical audio output. I only have two devices (HD cable box/ps3).

My plan is to run two HDMI cables to the plasma, then run one optical out of the TV into the receiver. I know that this won’t be true 7.1 since optical can only support 5.1, but from my reading there is very little media out there that supports 7.1 anyways.

Is there any drawback to running it this way?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Lifer

Does it have a dvi port?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Dyno Racing King!!!

2 thoughts.

1) When I tried pass through like that with my TV, it only sent a pro logic signal through and not the Dolby Digital.

2) My receiver doesn't have HDMI (older Harman Kardon) and it supports 7.1 -- at least it shows it on the front when I have the speakers enabled and hooked up. I'd hook up several HDMI cables and several optical cables.

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Freethinker

sounds like you need to run everything through your tv first and just have your receiver monitoring sound from the TV via fiber. Otherwise you need a diff. Receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
....LMAO @.... trying to figure out how to make a Utopian society!
In a perfect world the police would get paid to do nothing. So next time you see a cop eatin a donut, Yell.. Hey! Good Job!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Variable-speed-Limits
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Ya, that was my question, if I could use the the receiver to monitor whatever the TV is outputting since the TV has HDMI in and optical out and the receiver has optical in, and I could just run 2 or 3 HDMI cables to the TV and then whatever source I am using on the TV would come out of the receiver.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 01:42 PM
is chilaxing

How many optical inputs does this receiver have? Ps3 now is able to output sound simultaneously from HDMI & Optical(have to go to settings on ps3). I would HDMI to TV and optical to receiver. You should be able to do same from HD cable box. Not sure if box is able to output both at same time. I know DTV is able to.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 01:57 PM
dead

exactly what juiceweezl said. chances are the TV will not output DD/DTS out of the fiber.

it's pretty simple. for the best sound you should hook up:
HDMI from cable box to TV
HDMI from PS3 to tv.

Fiber or Dig Coax. from cable box to receiver
Fiber from PS3 to receiver.

DONE.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Time Served

You WILL NOT get the HD audio for your Blu-Ray if you are using optical. Optical can only carry 2 channels of HD audio (IIRC). You should be able to get your 5.1 Dolby Digital depending on the TV but you won't have bandwidth to pass the HD audio. If I'm buying a 7 channel reciever, I'm sure going to be putting in HD if possible.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dville_gt View Post

My plan is to run two HDMI cables to the plasma, then run one optical out of the TV into the receiver. I know that this won’t be true 7.1 since optical can only support 5.1, but from my reading there is very little media out there that supports 7.1 anyways.

Is there any drawback to running it this way?

Thanks!
The only drawback is you won't be able to pass through HD audio, such as Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio. And there are quite a few Blu-ray titles with 7.1 available. http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/St...itle&Audio=7.1 However, most are 5.1 format.

Optical and Digital Coax will pass the core DTS or Dolby Digital soundtracks when you are playing a Blu-ray title. And it will still sound better than standard DVD. Because I believe the Blu-ray core DTS soundtrack is 1.5 mbps compared to 754 kbps on standard DVD. And I think the Blu-ray core Dolby Digital soundtrack is 640 kbps compared to 448 kbps on standard DVD. The Blu-ray cores are hotter than standard DVD.

Unfortunately, unless you have a HDMI switching receiver you're not going able to ever hear HD audio. However, there is one work around for certain legacy receivers. If your Blu-ray player (with on board HD audio decoding) has multi-channel analog out and your receiver has multi-channel analog in. You can pass HD audio through that medium. The receiver will be just simply amplifying the already decoded multichannel signal.

HDMI switching receivers with on board decoding are becoming very affordable. As it's becoming the norm, so you may just want to do some price shopping. NewEgg and Crutchfield are always running pretty good deals.

On my set up, both my Onkyo HDMI receiver and Samsung Blu-ray player have on board HD audio decoding. Therefore, I just select HDMI Bitstream Audiophile out in the Blu-ray player audio settings. That is because I want my Onkyo to perform the HD audio decoding. The reverse procedure would be to select HDMI PCM out and then the Samsung Blu-ray player will perform the HD audio decoding and pass the signal along to the receiver strictly for amplification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Based on these specs what do you think?

Comparison Specifications
•110W per channel
•WRAT ( Wide Range Amplifier Technology)
•Speakers: 2 Way, Bass Reflex (Front/Center/Surround/Surround Back)
•Subwoofer: Bass Reflex Powered
•110 watts per channel minimum into 8 ohms, 1 kHz, FTC
•DTS, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1/Matrix 6.1, DTS Neo:6, DTS 96/24, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx decoding
•192 kHz/24-bit DACs for all channels
•H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply) massive isolated transformer
•Extended frequency response (10 Hz-100 kHz)
•Optimum Gain Volume Control Circuitry; A-form listening mode memory
Additional Specifications
•Non-scaling configuration; OptiResponse equalizer (OR-EQ) function
•CinemaFILTER; Advanced 32-bit DSP chip
•4 digital inputs (3 optical/1 coaxial); 3 component inputs and 1 output; 3 S-Video inputs and 2 outputs
•4 composite video inputs and 2 outputs; 2 audio and 4 A/V inputs
•Color-coded 5.1-multichannel inputs for DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD; Color-coded speaker posts
•30 FM/AM presets
•Crossover adjustment (60/80/100/120/150 Hz); A/B speaker drive
•Subwoofer pre out
•RI (Remote Interactive) remote control
•Front Speakers: 5" OMF diaphragm woofer x 2, 1" balanced-dome tweeter, Magnetically shielded
Manufacturer Specifications
•Center: 5" OMF diaphragm woofer x 2, 1" balanced-dome tweeter, Magnetically shielded
•Surround Back: 3 1/8" cone woofer, 3/4" ceramic tweeter 110 watts max. input
•Subwoofer: Built-in 230 watts power amplifier, 10" cone woofer, Auto standby/on, Output level control
•Connectivity Options for Superior Multichannel Audio and HDTV-Quality Video

The Cream of DTS and Dolby Digital Processing Technologies
Incorporating some powerful DTS and Dolby Digital decoders into the HT-S780 gives some powerful playback platforms. Dolby Digital EX takes a 5.1 video source and use matrix decoding to derive a center surround channel from the left and right surrounds. DTS-ES Matrix works in the same way except it uses DTS's own matrix echnology, while DTS-ES Discrete plays back discrete, 6.1 channel content from DVDs and CDs. With DTS Neo:6, a matrix system derives six channels from two-channel source material. Dolby Pro Logic IIx transforms any native stereo or 5.1 signal into a 6.1- or 7.1-channel output with Movie, Music and Game modes that effectively tailor your sound to the source material. Consider yourself well and truly covered for the latest home theater surround sound media.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:35 AM
dead

what are you paying for this?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

250, full onkyo 7.1 htib
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgans View Post
You WILL NOT get the HD audio for your Blu-Ray if you are using optical. Optical can only carry 2 channels of HD audio (IIRC). You should be able to get your 5.1 Dolby Digital depending on the TV but you won't have bandwidth to pass the HD audio. If I'm buying a 7 channel reciever, I'm sure going to be putting in HD if possible.
This is not correct. The limitation is not hardware but in the stupid "security" placed on the formats. Optical or SPDIF has more than enough bandwidth to handle 8+ channels of digital audio.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Lifer

Might be too late but I'd pass on this. You'll outgrow this receiver pretty quick.

There is already talk about Set-top boxes doing away with analog outputs (component) and being HDMI only to get tighter control of HDCP.

7.1 is a waste, there are a few movies that actually use it. (I have it and wish I would have just done a better 5.1 setup).

Missing DTS and DD HD formats is a deal killer for me. In my setup it is night and day and I wouldn't do with out it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement