remote lighting for home theater? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
CJ
User may be editing post.

remote lighting for home theater?

Anyone in here use an IR operated lighting system? I'm looking to install one in my projector room, looking for something real simple that will allow me to dim a set of incandescent lights with one signal, and then return to original brightness, something real simple and cheap. The only caveat as I need to have the IR receiver remote from the actual wall mounted boxes, so I can send the signal through my main remote and entertainment center to trigger the lights without having to aim it all over the damn place in a different macro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
Anyone in here use an IR operated lighting system? I'm looking to install one in my projector room, looking for something real simple that will allow me to dim a set of incandescent lights with one signal, and then return to original brightness, something real simple and cheap. The only caveat as I need to have the IR receiver remote from the actual wall mounted boxes, so I can send the signal through my main remote and entertainment center to trigger the lights without having to aim it all over the damn place in a different macro.
You would either have to do it through an ir repeater mounted near your equipment you currently point your remote at and run it through the attic over to where the switch is and down the wall to that switch. or look into rf instead of ir I would assume
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
You would either have to do it through an ir repeater mounted near your equipment you currently point your remote at and run it through the attic over to where the switch is and down the wall to that switch. or look into rf instead of ir I would assume
I was thinking about having to RF as well, but my harmony is IR only, so I'd have to have a IR-RF repeater. Is there no better solutions?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 12:39 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
I was thinking about having to RF as well, but my harmony is IR only, so I'd have to have a IR-RF repeater. Is there no better solutions?
With your setup and not upgrading remotes; I would do the ir repeater route!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Gunga galunga

I use insteon products, they have an ir controller that you can use and program your harmony to work with.

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford View Post
I use insteon products, they have an ir controller that you can use and program your harmony to work with.
lutron has the same. however his issue is that the switch is likely in the back of the room and he doesn't want to have to point the remote behind him at the light switch location
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
lutron has the same. however his issue is that the switch is likely in the back of the room and he doesn't want to have to point the remote behind him at the light switch location
Yeah, you replace that wall switch with an insteon dimmer switch and then the ir module is a seperate componet that just plugs into any wall outlet. That module only sends the signals to receivers of the components you want to control, and the actual "ir eye" is on a cable that can be extended so that can even be mounted away from ir module. All the insteon controls use rf and your homes wiring to relay signals to eachother.

In my room I have two tall lights on each side on the screen that is controlled this way.

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford View Post
Yeah, you replace that wall switch with an insteon dimmer switch and then the ir module is a seperate componet that just plugs into any wall outlet. That module only sends the signals to receivers of the components you want to control, and the actual "ir eye" is on a cable that can be extended so that can even be mounted away from ir module. All the insteon controls use rf and your homes wiring to relay signals to eachother.

In my room I have two tall lights on each side on the screen that is controlled this way.
Sounds like that's exactly what I need. I've heard about their products. What would a simple 2 socket setup with the remote ir receiver run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement