Harmony remote help/advice - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Harmony remote help/advice

Every time I walk into my media room, it looks like a damn remote control salesman lives here. I'm tired of chasing down the remotes to TV, DVD, audio, Sat., etc. I fear the programming ritual of the Harmony devices. Is it tough to do? I like the Harmony One, but am hesitant. It's not the money at all, but whether or not I can program it to best use it's feature's. TIA!

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 09:17 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
Every time I walk into my media room, it looks like a damn remote control salesman lives here. I'm tired of chasing down the remotes to TV, DVD, audio, Sat., etc. I fear the programming ritual of the Harmony devices. Is it tough to do? I like the Harmony One, but am hesitant. It's not the money at all, but whether or not I can program it to best use it's feature's. TIA!
You do everything on your computer using the supplied software, and it walks you through step by step. Then you just plug in the remote using the USB cable. It's really very simple. If anything you have is Bluetooth, like a PS3, you'll need an additional adapter to be able to control it with a Harmony remote.

I have the 880, and it's pretty handy. I wish it were more ergonomic instead of the small, flat buttons that are so close together. I fat-finger it often.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv View Post
You do everything on your computer using the supplied software, and it walks you through step by step. Then you just plug in the remote using the USB cable. It's really very simple. If anything you have is Bluetooth, like a PS3, you'll need an additional adapter to be able to control it with a Harmony remote.

I have the 880, and it's pretty handy. I wish it were more ergonomic instead of the small, flat buttons that are so close together. I fat-finger it often.
No Blue-tooth stuff (yet). We have the typical DVD/Blu-Ray, Sat receiver, Wii, etc. all running through a big Yamaha A/V receiver. Does the 880 have the rechargeable battery, or do you have to replace them?

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 09:35 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
No Blue-tooth stuff (yet). We have the typical DVD/Blu-Ray, Sat receiver, Wii, etc. all running through a big Yamaha A/V receiver. Does the 880 have the rechargeable battery, or do you have to replace them?
Rechargeable. It has a little dock that I set it in.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 10:07 AM
duh...duh....duh

I have an 890 and it is the best remote I've had yet. I think I've had it 3-4 years now with no problems with it. Once you get it going, you're done.

My '03 Sold.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Resident Epicurean

Why can't you program the yamaha remote to control everything?

The factory remote for my onkyo 606 covers everything I need it to do, with the exception of the ps3.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 11:20 AM
duh...duh....duh

The Harmony series does macros. Which is nice.

My '03 Sold.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
Why can't you program the yamaha remote to control everything?

The factory remote for my onkyo 606 covers everything I need it to do, with the exception of the ps3.
Brent, I probably can. It's a new unit, so I'm sure it's capable of handling it. I sort of like the automation of the Harmony and how you preset everything. I'll look a little further into the Yamaha remotes' capabilities this afternoon.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Gunga galunga

Thumbs up

I have the harmony one and it's the greatest thing... Anyone that comes over is able to use it with little to no help, and if something gets screwed up during power on and off sequences for example, you just hit help and it fixes it.

My system: tv, receiver, ps3 (uses harmony adapter), directv dvr, cd player, a computer, and some lighting controls.

For the mainstream components it's really easy to setup and will just take some minor tweaking to get it exactly right. For the less common components like the lighting control you use the learn function to learn the commands from that component's remote. Also if you want to make some more complex macros you will have to play with it. Btw the software is web based and it can be a little frustrating at times so set some time aside to fine tune the settings outside of the basic auto setup feature when you add a device or activity.

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Lifer

Another vote for the Harmony!

While most universal remotes can be programmed to control just about anything, the ability to run simple macros and the degree to which you can customize the Harmony makes it AWESOME!

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Time Served

I've got a pretty standard home TV setup: Samsung LCD TV, Philips sound bar, Dish DVR, DVD, Blu-Ray, Wii, etc. I picked up a Harmony 670 last year on sale for $49.99 and I love it. One-touch to switch between activities and cycle all the necessary inputs. Programming was a little bit of a challenge, but not too bad.

Watch slickdeals.net or Amazon for good deals on the Harmony remotes.

-Darrell

93 Cobra #199

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 07:56 AM
duh...duh....duh

newegg has a shell shocker for the Harmony 510 now..

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellS...0-_-80-111-031

My '03 Sold.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 12:30 PM
dead

i'm a fan of harmony. i got one as a refurb for like $50. it replaced all my remotes and i even have the little ps3 adapter. it does everything except turning it on.

macros (activities) are really the reason to get one. i have 6.

EX of 1 of my activities: "Watch TV"
#1. turn on projector.
#2. turn on av receiver.
#3. turn on directv.
#4. change input on projector to HDMI1
#5. change input on av receiver to HDMI1

all that by pressing 1 button, i approve.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
newegg has a shell shocker for the Harmony 510 now..

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellS...0-_-80-111-031
They sold out with a quickness! I'm looking around as we speak. I need a $300 remote like I need a wart on my johnson, but I do like that Harmony One!

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 04:25 PM
Lifer

I've got an 1100 in our media room and have programmed 3 other 1100's. The programming is easy to pick up and figure out after an hour or so of playing with it. Go pick one up and never turn back.

I have never taken out my Denon AVR remotes our of the box.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 02:06 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

I have 2 harmony 880's and I fucking hate them.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I picked up a Harmony One today. I need to "fine tune" a few things, but so far, it's pretty cool.

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 09:15 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
I have 2 harmony 880's and I fucking hate them.
I'm disappointed in you. Not going to follow up with why?

My '03 Sold.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 01:48 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
I'm disappointed in you. Not going to follow up with why?
They just always give me hell. So often they get out of sequence if you dont have it pointed directly at every single device. Then you have to pound the help button and follow the stupid ass process to get them back in sync. For some stupid ass reason they made the power button the only button that's raised right on top of the remote. If so much as a light breeze goes over the remote the turns everything off in the room. As great as the software is, it still has many problems some some TV sets. I use to have an old Westy LCD and it couldn't change video inputs at all, because the westy had an input menu system that the software just couldn't work, no matter what you did. And one of the most aggravating things is you would think for over $200 bucks (original cost of these remotes) you could have a damn paging feature to find the remote... but no. One thing I really wish the remote could do is program devices without being hooked up to your PC. Everytime something doesn't go completely as planned you have to walk back to your computer, plug it in, adjust crap, then download the data to the remote, then disconnect it, restart the remote, and then you can try it. I don't see why they didn't just add an SD card to the remote with all of the device data available and allow you to edit and update your configuration while you're sitting in front of your devices.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 10:12 PM
duh...duh....duh

I sort of disagree with your first points but STRONGLY agree with your last 3 or 4 sentences.

I had thought at one point you could just update the remote too and not the IR repeater. Yeah...not so much.

So I have not looked but it is still the SAME USB concept?

I've never had any problems until TODAY actually. Samsung Blu-Ray player is kicking my ass, but I'm trying to do a mix of IR and RF. However, none of my problems are related to that portion.

I think the software is OKAY actually. I think it would rock if you could look at the raw scripts or whatever it is they use.

My '03 Sold.
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Lifer

Not to hijack but does anyone else with harmony remotes have issues with lag? I have set all the delays on my harmony 1100 to 0 and it still takes about .5-1 second to send the command. That sucks when trying to fast foward through commercials!!

Let us know how you like the One vertnut. Im thinking about selling the 1100 and getting one of those. Im really tired of the 1100's design and prefer the traditional style remote. Ive heard nothing but good things about the Harmony One but the only reason I didnt get it was it didnt have RF.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
Not to hijack but does anyone else with harmony remotes have issues with lag? I have set all the delays on my harmony 1100 to 0 and it still takes about .5-1 second to send the command. That sucks when trying to fast foward through commercials!!

Let us know how you like the One vertnut. Im thinking about selling the 1100 and getting one of those. Im really tired of the 1100's design and prefer the traditional style remote. Ive heard nothing but good things about the Harmony One but the only reason I didnt get it was it didnt have RF.
Honestly, this is the only one I have any experience with. I do notice a slight "lag", but mainly when powering up/down the system. I'm still playing with it and dialing in some detailed commands. I'm impressed with how "smart" the thing is, but I'm a pretty "low-tech" guy. On a note: can you get the RF "option" for it?

post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 12:01 AM
CJ

Quote:

yep, that's another thing I can't stand about them. The factory remote is lightning quick, the harmony is slow as hell.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 12:10 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Honestly, this is the only one I have any experience with. I do notice a slight "lag", but mainly when powering up/down the system. I'm still playing with it and dialing in some detailed commands. I'm impressed with how "smart" the thing is, but I'm a pretty "low-tech" guy. On a note: can you get the RF "option" for it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
yep, that's another thing I can't stand about them. The factory remote is lightning quick, the harmony is slow as hell.
Well that sucks. I may try programming the Onkyo remote tomorrow and trying it out. It can control eveything I got minus the PS3 I guess.

As far as the RF option, no you cant get RF with the One. I had to order a seperate RF reciever for my 1100 that sits nexts to the equipment and sends the signal to each piece of equipment via a IR blaster. But the remote has to be able to transmit the IR signal to begin with. The 1100 and the 900 are the only ones I know of that are able to. I could be wrong though.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 12:12 AM
CJ

Quote:
Well that sucks. I may try programming the Onkyo remote tomorrow and trying it out. It can control eveything I got minus the PS3 I guess.

As far as the RF option, no you cant get RF with the One. I had to order a seperate RF reciever for my 1100 that sits nexts to the equipment and sends the signal to each piece of equipment via a IR blaster. But the remote has to be able to transmit the IR signal to begin with. The 1100 and the 900 are the only ones I know of that are able to. I could be wrong though.
you can get a bluetooth/rf/ir repeater for your ps3. It allows you to control any device using any signal. All it does is convert a signal to another signal. Works great.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 03:39 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

I have the Harmony 1100 and it hardly ever gets used. It is cool, and the macros are great, but it is quirky. It locks up quite a bit, and when in the dock has an annoying humming sound for about 5 mins when charging. Because of this we use the DirectTv remote and the harmony looks cool on the dock....
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
I have the Harmony 1100 and it hardly ever gets used. It is cool, and the macros are great, but it is quirky. It locks up quite a bit, and when in the dock has an annoying humming sound for about 5 mins when charging. Because of this we use the DirectTv remote and the harmony looks cool on the dock....
I would deffinetly call Logitech on that one. My 1100 is quirky but it doesnt hum or lock up on me ever.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 02:41 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 342 H.O. View Post
I have the 890 and even though it is a pain in the ass to program, test, tweak, program, test, tweak........once you get it like you want it it is nice. Greatest thing is my wife doesn't call me when I'm not home asking me how to watch a Blu-Ray or DVD......she hits one button.

I am in the market for some lighting switches that will work with it......I think Lutron, or z-wave or something like that will talk with my remote........if anyone has this feature on their remote setup please advise me as to what and where to buy.....

Thanks!
I have a few Lutron IR dimmers in my house that all work from my 880 and the Harmony One I just bought. I got them at Home Depot.

Recently, I discovered www.smarthome.com, and just ordered a bunch of X10 stuff from them. I believe it converts your IR signal from the Harmony into RF, so you can control more lights without pointing the remote in different directions. I can let you know how everything works once I get them and install them. They should be here any day now. The stuff was much cheaper on that website than what I bought at Home Depot. That website is badass, by the way. You can buy all sorts of home automation shit there. You can literally open and close doors, feed your pets, flush your toilet, turn on your oven, start your dishwasher, and change a diaper, all from your remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement