Aftermarket car audio - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
T-MINUS

Aftermarket car audio

Is this industry in serious decline?

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

It's basically a 100% luxury industry so in trying economic times obviously it's going to suffer. That and with can-bus networking, star grounding topography and 300+ volt systems you need an entire staff of electrical engineers and computer progammers to design components now. That and all of the software is proprietary so you can't do anything with it without paying a license fee.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 09:33 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
It's basically a 100% luxury industry so in trying economic times obviously it's going to suffer. That and with can-bus networking, star grounding topography and 300+ volt systems you need an entire staff of electrical engineers and computer progammers to design components now. That and all of the software is proprietary so you can't do anything with it without paying a license fee.
Whoa! I've never heard of any of that stuff. Splain?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
T-MINUS

Blink..blink...blink....

I'm talking about even basic shit like Best Buy.

Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Blink..blink...blink....

I'm talking about even basic shit like Best Buy.
Best Buy has always sucked for car audio. Go see Eric!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 06:16 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

There has been a rumor for a few years that Best Buy was going to get out of car audio (and I would be happy if they did). However, I have not seen any proof of that.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Lost in suburbia HELLLLLL

It has been in decline since car audio has gone up highly in factory cars, plus with the new designs of the dash boards, where you have to keep your factory radio and your aftermarket. My 05 accord, I would have to put my cd player by the shifter, and still keep my factory radio there because of the a/c controls and such. It sucks, hell alpine doesn't even have a motorized face in a single din anymore. Everything has gone to navigation.....

93gt boss block, 185 cnc trick flow heads, undisclosed cam specs, YS trim, saleen intake nice and shiny. car is spotted primer currently

05 honda accord coupe daily driver
00z28 new catfish moser 9in, pat g custom cam, ls6 intake, long tubes, built 6spd and much more.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
Best Buy has always sucked for car audio. Go see Eric!
No shit. I've already been talking to Eric. Wouldn't buy from Best Buy on car audio, just an observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW View Post
There has been a rumor for a few years that Best Buy was going to get out of car audio (and I would be happy if they did). However, I have not seen any proof of that.
Head to a best buy, they are whacking out inventory and reducing size.

We need to talk about speakers too, the infinity system sucks dick like an indian pulling on a clogged peace pipe.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:31 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv View Post
Whoa! I've never heard of any of that stuff. Splain?
can-bus = controller area network. Most people think of a car as having a single ECM that does everything and that used to be the case. Now though there can be 70+ different modules on a car and they all have to communicate. It makes life a lot easier for the designers and properly trained and equipped technicians but it makes it virtually impossible for a shadetree mechanic to do anything beyond routine maintenance. Hypothetically the radio and amplifiers need to be able to communicate with the window motors and speed sensors or none of them will operate.

Star grounding topography is a wiring philosophy that engineers have developed to virtually eliminate electro magnetic interference, something that will drive a mechanic nuts trying to diagnose and eliminate. Disconnect the wrong ground cable and you'll mess up many different systems on the car. Add something to the current grounding system and you also might mess up everything.

I remember when the Titans first came out you could't find a stereo shop that'd so much as install an alarm on one. I'm sure things have changed since then but I'd still cringe thinking of having to diagnose a no start condition on one with an aftermarket alarm and stereo.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:45 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
can-bus = controller area network. Most people think of a car as having a single ECM that does everything and that used to be the case. Now though there can be 70+ different modules on a car and they all have to communicate. It makes life a lot easier for the designers and properly trained and equipped technicians but it makes it virtually impossible for a shadetree mechanic to do anything beyond routine maintenance. Hypothetically the radio and amplifiers need to be able to communicate with the window motors and speed sensors or none of them will operate.

Star grounding topography is a wiring philosophy that engineers have developed to virtually eliminate electro magnetic interference, something that will drive a mechanic nuts trying to diagnose and eliminate. Disconnect the wrong ground cable and you'll mess up many different systems on the car. Add something to the current grounding system and you also might mess up everything.

I remember when the Titans first came out you could't find a stereo shop that'd so much as install an alarm on one. I'm sure things have changed since then but I'd still cringe thinking of having to diagnose a no start condition on one with an aftermarket alarm and stereo.
Very interesting!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
T-MINUS

Quote:

And Forrest used to bitch about 'electric windows being one more thing to go wrong'

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 05:12 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
And Forrest used to bitch about 'electric windows being one more thing to go wrong'
You haven't seen anything yet. Screw the Jetsons, we'll have cars that drive themselves on the roads very soon. It's not a matter of technology, that's been around for 10+ years. Just need to convince people that computers and their programmers can control cars more safely and efficiently than they can. Either that or mandate it by the government.

You can already get cars that'll park themselves, have adaptive cruise control and that will bring the car to a complete stop in order to avoid collisions. In lots of the cars out there today the driver doesn't control anything other than the brake pedal anyways. You turn the steering wheel and it sends a signal to a servo telling it to turn the wheels. Hit the gas pedal and it sends a signal through the ECM to the throttle servo. The computer is controlling the car, you are just making suggestions to it.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
T-MINUS

Well...that sounds fun

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 08:20 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

36mpg average by 2016 is the new federal law. You aren't going to get there with a carbureted Windsor!

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Arbeit Macht Frei

Quote:

Yep, try swapping a high speed can bus radio into a car with a low speed unit, damn car wont start. Doesnt damage anything, but if you dont unplug the stereo harness it wont start, ive tried it first hand.(Chrysler vehicles)
Crazy shit.

"Wealth Dies, Kinsman Die, A man himself must likewise die; But word-fame, Never dies, For him who achieves it well"
-Hávamál-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement