I pod docks - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

I pod docks

So yeah, i like the Bose Sounddock. But I'm buying 3 docks and $1200 just isn't in the budget.

Who else makes a good dock? I need one for the office, one with alarm clock capabilities (I'd think most do this), and one for my garage. I'd like at least the one in the garage to be clear at louder levels. Again, keep in mind, I'm buying three. I don't mind spending a little more for the one in the garage.

Toss me some ideas on midrange quality as well as some bang for the buck models. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

I also need to add I'd like it to work with my iPhone and my 60 gig vid iPod. Is that even possible?

I don't necessarily need to take calls while it's on the dock, but would like to be able to interchange as I have different music on each.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Founding Member

Alarm with BED Shaker!
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...ID=2-0-default

93 Teal/Gray Cobra

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing19 View Post
I would go for that if it worked with my 3gs. I've actually wanted an alarm clock with a bed shaker. I'm difficult to get out of bed.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Founding Member

I had never heard of a bed shaker. My sister gave me a Gigaware dock for Christmas that I use at work. Sounds ok. I just use it to stream Pandora off my phone.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 09:48 PM
yes, jluv

Two of my Onkyo HTIB setups have Ipod docks that allow you to control the Ipod with the remote.

In the bedroom, we each use the iHome iP9. It's convenient to just put our phones on them when we go to bed, so they will be charged every morning. They are pretty badass alarm clocks as well. You can wake up to radio, buzzer, random Ipod/Iphone shit, or a dedicated iHome playlist that you set up. The songs (or radio or buzzer) start out soft and gradually get louder. It's a much nicer way of waking up than the ol' Aeh Aeh Aeh bullshit. I wake up most mornings, pissed to be awake, but then I say "Damn, that's a good song!" They are usually $80-$100.

Then we also have this portable, weatherproof thing that we can take anywhere. It's badass. Not sure what it's called, but I got it at Sears when Leah posted it up in one of her "deals of the day" threads. My only regret is that I didn't buy one or two more. It rocks. Not sure what the brand is, and I am too lazy to go look right now. It was a steal at $50, but I think they are normally $100 or more. If you want something you can lug around anywhere, this is it. No clock though, and no remote.

James has a dock in the garage that has a clock too. It looks like an old fashioned radio. Doesn't get crazy loud, but it's cool, and has a remote and all that jazz. I thin it has some aux inputs for other plug in shit as well. Maybe even a USB slot. Not certain. I bet it was under $100.

I'd have a hard time spending too much on the fancy docks, because you might as well get a stereo or htib system with a dock and get as loud as you want. As for sound quality, you can only get so good with an Ipod anyway. Bleh. Like cooking a cheap sirloin on a badass grill.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 01:21 AM
You never go full retard

I bought my girl the Altec Lansing T612 iPod dock for Christmas. She was wanting one that would charge her iPod and believe it or not there's quite a few that dont. Well I didn't have the cash to shell out for a Bose or Klipsch dock so I started going from store to store listening to the different docks. IMO this was the best bang for the buck, it puts out pretty good sound with adjustable base and treble. You can hear it from the other side of the living room and you can even mount it on the well if you wanted. Not sure how much they're going for now but I bought her for $150.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

I'll have to check out the Altec Greg mentioned and the ihome that Jared recommended.

I bought the dock for my Onkyo 606, because it didn't come with it. Prolem is, it's in the living room.

I'm not asking for perfect sound, but I don't want a $20 samsong either. Really, I'd be ok with cheap for the one at my office and the one I want to use as an alarm. Both of those will always be low volume levels.

I just don't want to be cheap on the one in the garage. I'd like it crisp at loud levels, as I'm converting all my mp3s to the apple lossless format so it's not compressed or less compressed.

Decision decisions. Bose for the garage or the alpine Iva-900.

Thanks for yalls input!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:11 AM
You never go full retard

Brent I'm actually going through the same dilema right now on choosing something for my apartment. The 2 different Bose docks sound badass, I'm just not sure I'm ready to drop $300+ on a stereo system that will only be turned on say twice a week. Aside from the Altec, this was the only other thing I considered...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+5...&skuId=9208671

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:53 AM
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
I'll have to check out the Altec Greg mentioned and the ihome that Jared recommended.

I bought the dock for my Onkyo 606, because it didn't come with it. Prolem is, it's in the living room.

I'm not asking for perfect sound, but I don't want a $20 samsong either. Really, I'd be ok with cheap for the one at my office and the one I want to use as an alarm. Both of those will always be low volume levels.

I just don't want to be cheap on the one in the garage. I'd like it crisp at loud levels, as I'm converting all my mp3s to the apple lossless format so it's not compressed or less compressed.

Decision decisions. Bose for the garage or the alpine Iva-900.

Thanks for yalls input!
i was going to get an ipod dock for my den, but i figured out that my ps3 will access my itunes music library on my computer, so that works just as well...and i don't have to leave my ipod in one spot. i don't know what to tell you about the other areas, though.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 04:48 PM
None

I have this as my bedroom alarm clock. Sounds awesome and is insanely clear.

http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/p...&refid=froogle
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 06:16 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
Brent I'm actually going through the same dilema right now on choosing something for my apartment. The 2 different Bose docks sound badass, I'm just not sure I'm ready to drop $300+ on a stereo system that will only be turned on say twice a week. Aside from the Altec, this was the only other thing I considered...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+5...&skuId=9208671
Ya, but then you'd have to hide it behind a curtain or something. That things is hideous!

Brent, Apple Lossless is much better than MP3, but still compressed, and far from CD quality. My Itunes library is all Apple Lossless. I can put about 1000 songs on my 30gb Ipod in that format.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 01:05 AM
PVC Racing

I have a JBLdock that I bought awhile back off woot, must say I was very impressed with it. Its has been through hell and still sounds very clear. only problem it does not work with the iphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANGGT40 View Post
i was going to get an ipod dock for my den, but i figured out that my ps3 will access my itunes music library on my computer, so that works just as well...and i don't have to leave my ipod in one spot. i don't know what to tell you about the other areas, though.
really it will work through the ps3. Sweet I'm going to have to try that.

"Less talkie talkie more ping pong"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement