Car Audio - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
bud
Bleh

Car Audio

Not sure where I should post this... but here goes...

I just bought a 2007 F-250 with a crappy walmart sound system. I want to install a GPS/DVD dbl DIN head unit and some speakers/sub.

The question I have is what would be the best way to configure the speakers. Should I run an amp with the speakers and sub wired into it. Or maybe two amps.... one for the speakers and one for the sub. Also, should I use component speakers since I am going to put a sub in the back?

Any opinions?

Next I am going to install some exhaust and a chip!

TIA

2003 Mustang GT - SOLD!

New Project Coming Soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Time Served

depends what your want out of it. you could get a amp that would run all your speakers and subs. or you could get a mono amp and a 4 chanel amp. componet would give the best sound . comes down to how much you want to spend . if you run two amps you might have to upgrade your altenator.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
bud
Bleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZ5.0 View Post
depends what your want out of it. you could get a amp that would run all your speakers and subs. or you could get a mono amp and a 4 chanel amp. componet would give the best sound . comes down to how much you want to spend . if you run two amps you might have to upgrade your altenator.
I don't want the best system, just good sound. I haven't bought an amp in a very long time. I wasn't sure if it would be best to use one amp or two. If one can handle it, that is the way I will go.

Thanks for the reply. Time to shop around for all the parts...

2003 Mustang GT - SOLD!

New Project Coming Soon

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Time Served

almost every major audio company makes 5 channel amp that would be a major improvement over stock or walmart stuff. it would also save you some money over buying two amps and wires and more free space. two nice ten inch would prob be as big as u want to go.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

its all in what you want, I have a double din dvd without nav and left the speakers off the factory amp system, its a gm, but i have a sub and amp. If you want simplicity get a 5 channel amp but you will have to run wires to every speaker so that part will be harder depending on how things are done now.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Time Served

I had a pioneer btx910 nav/DVD/cd. Infinitys all around. Not amped. It had highs that would hurt your ears and great mids. Unless you want an insane system you do not need to amp your speakers. Just buy a good head and good speakers. Then get a good am and sub. I really like the way kicker L7 8's sound under a seat.

bone stock except for a few mods and nitrous
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Time Served

i had a pioneer deck and a 1200w sony xploid amp and two 10/s and i loved it. gonna put it in the stang when i get it runnin.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Money Made All Good

Time for me to change out my facatory system too.

04 5-speed GT
91 5-speed LX Vert
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Crackalack!

I bought a nice Kenwood DVD double-din unit several years ago. DDX-6019. I bought an amp and a sub box. I then used the radio power for the mids and highs and the amp for the sub. Using the headunit, I can keep the mids and highs from trying to play any bass by making them only play maybe 200hz and up. Then do the opposite with the bass. Believe it or not, if you take the low frequency away from the other factory speakers, they sound pretty decent. There's enough power with the headunit to power them, and they're not trying to play frequencies that are too low. Then let the sub do it's job and it sounds pretty good. I know there are those that would recommend all new mids and highs, separate amps, etc. but this seemed like the easiest and most cost-efficient way of doing it and it sounds decent. BTW, the crossover functions are handled inside the head unit.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:19 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

This should be in the MEDIA forum.

Radio power for factory locations is weak. An amp will make the speakers sound MUCH better. An Alpine PDX-5 would be a great choice. I did one in an F250 last week with JL Audio 5x7 coax in all factory locations and two 8" behind the rear seat. Sounded great. Plus, we did lots of Dynamat Xtreme so the speakers sounded as good as possible and the truck was much quieter.

You can use a 4 channel amp to run the entire system but you will lose the fader control which most people don't use anyway. Power is your friend. Use an amp on ALL speakers.

Lolz at the "highs that hurt your ears".
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:20 PM
DFWmustangs.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW View Post
Radio power for factory locations is weak. An amp will make the speakers sound MUCH better. An Alpine PDX-5 would be a great choice. I did one in an F250 last week with JL Audio 5x7 coax in all factory locations and two 8" behind the rear seat. Sounded great. Plus, we did lots of Dynamat Xtreme so the speakers sounded as good as possible and the truck was much quieter.

You can use a 4 channel amp to run the entire system but you will lose the fader control which most people don't use anyway. Power is your friend. Use an amp on ALL speakers.

^^^^Listen to this guy^^^^
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
bud
Bleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW View Post
This should be in the MEDIA forum.

I looked at the PDX-5 some and may go that way... Was also looking at the Infinity Kappa Five.

What I am looking into now is the speakers... Was thinking of running some infinity speakers as well... just not sure if I will run component or not.

For the HU... I am considering the Alpine IVA-W203.

2003 Mustang GT - SOLD!

New Project Coming Soon
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
bud
Bleh

Media Forum... go figure! Heh

Thanks for the move.

2003 Mustang GT - SOLD!

New Project Coming Soon
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 02:09 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Silk sounds better than plastic. Infinity speakers are loud on the board and harsh in the car. I would consider the JL Audio C2-570 or C3-570 which will be available shortly.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 07:33 PM
Time Served

X2 on jl. alpine over infinity better mids and highs. speacially on subs jl sub are the shit. i have 2 jl 10w3v3 on my girls car and they sound real good.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Packin' up...

Jl <3
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:02 PM
yes, jluv

I'm definitely going to need more power because my highs don't hurt my ears enough.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
bud
Bleh

Who carries the JL's? I was looking at some items at CarToys and did not see them...

2003 Mustang GT - SOLD!

New Project Coming Soon
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 01:03 AM
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud View Post
Who carries the JL's? I was looking at some items at CarToys and did not see them...
EW has them over at AutoSound in Bedford. I've got the C2 components up front and the coax in the back. Got them from him and they installed, sounds good!
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Time Served

car toys is over prize you could get you a better deal online. i think crutchfield sells them and you get alot of the harness needed if you buy it there. just look around
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
bud
Bleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZ5.0 View Post
car toys is over prize you could get you a better deal online. i think crutchfield sells them and you get alot of the harness needed if you buy it there. just look around
Yeah I have looked at both sites... And am still looking around for good prices.

2003 Mustang GT - SOLD!

New Project Coming Soon
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Time Served

you should also look into boston acoustics good stuff too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement