Samsung laser alignment - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Samsung laser alignment

Has anyone ever re-aligned the laser on a DVD player? I have a Samsung that I bought around March of 2008 and this past weekend it quit reading DVD's. I need to double check the mfg warranty period but was wondering in case it was out if it's possible to do this at home. TIA

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 10:49 AM

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thanks. I'm going to open the case and try that tonight. Unfortunately this part of my house collects a lot of dust so I'm sure it has some. I'll be crossing my fingers that this is the problem.

George

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 11:33 AM
dead

you can just open the cd tray and spray in there. dont turn the can upside down!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I know, but if it's anything like a pc, I'd rather blow the dust out rather than just blow it around inside.

George
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 12:27 PM
you stinky bitch

It is more than likely not a dust issue. I have had DVD players quit for all sorts of reasons. They are cheap enough that you should just get a new one if blowing the air around inside it does not work.

Best something in Texas.... just don't know what it is yet....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 06:56 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

just buy a new one man, they are so damn cheap now it isn't even worth playing with it. And to be honest - my most expensive DVD players are always the ones that crap out the first for some reason. My high dollar panasonic and samsung crapped out on me within 3 years, my cheap ass memorex still works great.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I'll probably end up buying a new one. I'm just trying to save the $200 bucks this one will cost me. It's not just a DVD player, it's the 5.1 home theater w/ FM Tuner. I wanted the all-in-one so i don't have a separate unit for the radio, dvd and surround sound. I haven't been able to find just the unit without the speakers. Similar to this one....
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-Ho...ystem/10992396

I had to buy my current one around March of 2008 due to being burglarized and I just sold the speakers on Craigslist.

George
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 08:36 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George G. View Post
I'll probably end up buying a new one. I'm just trying to save the $200 bucks this one will cost me. It's not just a DVD player, it's the 5.1 home theater w/ FM Tuner. I wanted the all-in-one so i don't have a separate unit for the radio, dvd and surround sound. I haven't been able to find just the unit without the speakers. Similar to this one....
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-Ho...ystem/10992396

I had to buy my current one around March of 2008 due to being burglarized and I just sold the speakers on Craigslist.
yeah the all in ones are usually lower quality, and the dvd player is always the first thing to go.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Fixed!!

I managed to get it working. I took the cover off, put a disc in to see what happened and the disc was not spinning. I then heard something that seemed like it was trying to spin and the disc was trying to move so I kickstarted it with my finger and it slowly got up to speed to get to the menu on the display screen. So I ejected the tray, removed the disc and powered it off. After looking closer, there was a mechanical part that raised up when a disc was inserted that had 3 little rubber(i'm guessing they were rubber but I couldn't fit my finger in there) feet. It looked like this is what grabs the bottom center part of the disc and spins it. I got some nail polish remover and a q-tip and wiped them down really good. I put a disc back in and it spun up really quick this time. Tried it on several discs and they all were at full rpm's in a couple of seconds.

I think what may have contributed to this is that the kids often handle the kid dvd's and they end up really oily on the bottom. This oil may have transferred to the contacts that grab the dvd's. Next is to wipe down all the discs.

I hope this helps someone...It saved me $150 to have it "repaired" or $200 to replace the unit. I tried to take pics but couldn't get any good ones.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement