Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Where do YOU live?
I managed to get it working. I took the cover off, put a disc in to see what happened and the disc was not spinning. I then heard something that seemed like it was trying to spin and the disc was trying to move so I kickstarted it with my finger and it slowly got up to speed to get to the menu on the display screen. So I ejected the tray, removed the disc and powered it off. After looking closer, there was a mechanical part that raised up when a disc was inserted that had 3 little rubber(i'm guessing they were rubber but I couldn't fit my finger in there) feet. It looked like this is what grabs the bottom center part of the disc and spins it. I got some nail polish remover and a q-tip and wiped them down really good. I put a disc back in and it spun up really quick this time. Tried it on several discs and they all were at full rpm's in a couple of seconds.
I think what may have contributed to this is that the kids often handle the kid dvd's and they end up really oily on the bottom. This oil may have transferred to the contacts that grab the dvd's. Next is to wipe down all the discs.
I hope this helps someone...It saved me $150 to have it "repaired" or $200 to replace the unit. I tried to take pics but couldn't get any good ones.