Tv savy people in here - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
insert something aqui

Tv savy people in here

i would like to get a nice decent sized tv, i know nothing about tv's never bought one in my life. i love going to friends houses and watching their tv's but want to get one for my house. but have no clue what to look for what to stay away from and so forth.

i would like a 50" for the living room, i went to best buy and they had some for like 649.99-and up but they where plasmas, is that a bad thing? plasmas seemed considerably cheaper???

a few threads and you can read a board member bought a 50" from frys is that a good deal??

we dont watch alot of tv's just mainly before bed so i dont need the rolls royce of tv's but maybe a cadillac

sorry for such a ignorant post, but would like advice and where the good deals are.

1991 lx 5.0

lil ol 302

Back In The Jackstand Racing Crew!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Time Served

I'm like you, basically an HDTV newb. I shopped around a little bit, but just got more confused. I hung out the AVS forum for a little bit, asked friends, watched threads here, but in the end, I went to Sears and bought a Sony Bravia 52" LCD that they had on a killer sale right after Thanksgiving. I believe it's a 52S5100 and it was marked down to $800 and the GF got an extra 15% off for using her Sears card. There are probably many better sets out there, but this was a great deal and the picture quality is very very good.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
i would like to get a nice decent sized tv, i know nothing about tv's never bought one in my life. i love going to friends houses and watching their tv's but want to get one for my house. but have no clue what to look for what to stay away from and so forth.

i would like a 50" for the living room, i went to best buy and they had some for like 649.99-and up but they where plasmas, is that a bad thing? plasmas seemed considerably cheaper???

a few threads and you can read a board member bought a 50" from frys is that a good deal??

we dont watch alot of tv's just mainly before bed so i dont need the rolls royce of tv's but maybe a cadillac

sorry for such a ignorant post, but would like advice and where the good deals are.

Few things to keep in mind...

Plasmas all have glossy screens. If the TV is going in to a room with a lot of windows and natural light, plasma isn't the best fit because you get a lot of glare. A lot of plasma manufacturers advertise their version of an antie flare screen, but not a single one I've seen works worth a fuck. They all still have glare. If you're putting it in a room with a lot of windows and light, I'd go with a LCD or DLP.

DLP is the best bang for the buck. Some manufacturers have stopped making them though. If you go with a DLP, go with a Mistubishi. You won't be disappointed. You can't hang a DLP from the wall though.

LCD has a great picture, but I don't have much input on the newer ones that do 120hZ. Some people complain that they look "cartoonish". LCD also does not do true black if I recall correctly. But that's not anything that ever really bothered me.

Samsung would be my recommendation on the flat panel (either LCD or plasma). Mitsu if you go DLP.

I'd go ahead and spend the extra money for 1080p. The $500 deal someone else posted, is 720p. You don't really *need* 1080p, but if you're going to spend the money on a new tv, go ahead and spend another $200 or so, or you might regret it later down the road when you have a PS3, or a blu ray player.

If you're going to go cheap, don't buy anything but a Vizio. Stay away from the off brands like Westinghouse, and the house brands that electronics stores sell. Vizios are damn nice for the money.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Time Served

I like frys jus don't buy a tv with red tag that means refurb

Black 04 Slowbra...
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 01:49 PM
'tis the season

LED. That is all.

2002 Corvette --Sold
2009 Mazda CX7 GT--Turbo baby hauler
1976 #s matching Formula--Weekend fun
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic5.0 View Post
LED. That is all.
Actually... it's not. LED backlit LCD was created so LCD could do something as close to what plasma was doing. Same with refresh rates... they're just not applicable on a plasma but again, something LCD had to do to keep up with plasma. I have yet to see an LED LCD come close to what plasma can offer... even at twice the price plasmas are unbeatable. Even the brand new "local dimming" LED's can't get near the black levels of plasma.

As bcoop said above, it's all dependent on what room it's going in. If you have direct light on the screen and have no way to control it, you're stuck with LCD (not a bad thing you'll just have to spend more to match what plasma can do if you like great looking screens). If you don't care, just a cheap 60hz LCD will do.

How far back are you sitting from the TV... that's the only real question when deciding on 720p vs. 1080p as the closer you are, the least likely you can tell.

Other things to consider:

-Contrast ratios are meaningless. It's an inmeasurable number if they're using dynamic contrast. They should be using ANSI contrast but 948:1 doesn't sell TV's (true measured contrast)... 1,000,000:1 dynamic contrast does.

-Don't look for the TV with the "best picture" to your eye. They're all set to "Torch mode" on the shelfs to have the maximum brightness. Bright does not equal a great TV... it will give you a massive headache though. Get your TV home when you buy it and put it on cinema mode... you're half way to a calibrated TV now.

-Do look at owner's threads on AVS and another great place is plug the model number into amazon and look for reviews and star ratings on TVs with more than 20-30 respondants.

-There is no such thing as "Plasma burn-in" There is "image retention" but it should go away after a few minutes. This was a problem with early plasmas 6-8 years ago and just never was able to shake the stink off of this since so many early adopters got burned with this (no pun intended).

-Plasma's draw their power dynamically... bright scenes will get up to 400-500 watts. Dark scenes can draw as low as 18watts. Power draw is peaks and valleys on a plasma. LCD TV's draw a consistant amount of power (380watts for instance for a 50"). I'm saying this because another bad wrap about plasmas was they are a power hog. It's because folks looked at the peak number and took it as constant like LCD. Side by side they draw almost identical power over the span of a movie or TV show.

*I do not own a plasma. All of our locations that we watch TV in have too much glare but I would KILL to have a Panasonic Plasma. The only room I have that would work I have a 120" projector setup in.
I have:
32" Sharp Aquios (Guest Room)
50" Samsung DLP (living room)
46" LCD (bedroom)
Mitsubishi 3LCD HC6500 Projector (Media room)

Last edited by Leif; 02-08-2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: more info
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Gunga galunga

^ditto all that, everything has tradeoffs... I'm just glad I got my Samsung LED DLP before they discontinued them, it will be a sad day when it bites the dust.

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic5.0 View Post
LED. That is all.
Actually most of the newer LED's have back-lighting and geometry issues. They're just extremely aesthetically pleasing.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
insert something aqui

hmmm so im still stuck on which to get, my house does have 2 windows that would shine some light on the tv. im more worried about the sliding glass door in the dining room, although we are changing the sliding door for french doors so that will diminish some of the light, the living room is about 12x18 so i figure i will be sitting about 8' from the tv?? if i place it on the north wall, the 18' long wall ill sit about 8' back.

will i be able to tell a difference in 720 vs. 1080

i plan on getting 2 tv's the one in the living room will maybe get 5hrs a week of viewing vs. the bedroom 10-15hrs a week

but still intend to get the bigger tv for the living room and a nice decent for the bedroom.

1991 lx 5.0

lil ol 302

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Lifer

I'll sell you a 50" 720p Akai (Samsung) DLP that works great for 400.

FUCK Canada
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 10:08 PM
yes, jluv

Unless you're gonna hang it, go DLP and get the most for your money.

I like plasma better than LCD, but the glare thing is true. Oh, and both of my plasmas have permanent burn-in, or image retention, or whatever you want to call it. I've hardly ever watched anything on them that wasn't naturally widescreen, or stretched, but from the rare times I have watched something in a 4:3 format with the sides black, it's left pretty noticeable lines on each side. It's tolerable, though.

I like my LCD, too. But the picture is better on my plasmas.

Only my DLP is 1080p, but it's the only one I watch Blurays on anyway.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
insert something aqui

so i bought a lg 47" lcd 1080 60mhz for 698 @ frys, i hope its a good tv.

now just need something for the bedroom

where can i get a wall mount? which should i get?

1991 lx 5.0

lil ol 302

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 12:25 AM
Mexican Crew

Quote:

sounds good, I have an LG good t.v.

I need to buy one as well for the bedroom

Quote:
Check your self bro , you're not that cool.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 09:37 AM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy

Quote:

where can i get a wall mount? which should i get?

If you've never had an HD set before, you will be really happy with the results regardless of what you got. Be careful how high you mount it - don't want to strain the neck watching it.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Mexican Crew

Dont forget monoprice.com for wall mounts

Quote:
Check your self bro , you're not that cool.

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
insert something aqui

well got the tv up on the wall pretty easy stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	96741  

1991 lx 5.0

lil ol 302

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Lifer

Quote:
well got the tv up on the wall pretty easy stuff.
Almost there sir!

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 01:57 AM
Lifer

crutchfield also has wall accessories that will hide hanging exposed cables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 05:04 AM
Lifer

I hope one of those cables running up the wall is an HDMI cable and not a coax cable.

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
insert something aqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxerbrett View Post
I hope one of those cables running up the wall is an HDMI cable and not a coax cable.
dont even have cable, ive never been a tv guy, but it was my wifes b-day present today so i bought her that, they told me to also get her a blue-ray player and she asked for cable so thats next on the list!

but when i do have all that jazz they did mention a hdmi cable!

1991 lx 5.0

lil ol 302

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Lifer

Home theater is like modding a car. Now that you have the TV you are going to want a blue ray player then and surround sound system the the buttkicker.... It never ends.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Lifer

Just don't buy cables from a big box store. Buy from monoprice.com or bluejeanscable.com and wait the day or two for it to be delivered. An HDMI cable should never cost more than 8 bucks unless you get some rediculous length like 30-50'.

It's a digital signal of 1's and 0's... I don't care if it's made from gold or coat hanger... as long as all those 1's and 0's get there, it's the same thing. Don't let ANYONE tell you any different.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post

It's a digital signal of 1's and 0's... I don't care if it's made from gold or coat hanger... as long as all those 1's and 0's get there, it's the same thing. Don't let ANYONE tell you any different.
This is true. I've swapped back and forth between a $10 partsexpress HDMI cable and a $40 Monster HDMI cable. There is no visible or audible difference to the human eye/ear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
insert something aqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Home theater is like modding a car. Now that you have the TV you are going to want a blue ray player then and surround sound system the the buttkicker.... It never ends.
a surround sound system would be nice

1991 lx 5.0

lil ol 302

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Lifer

Quote:
a surround sound system would be nice
So get one. You can find a pretty decent selection of all-in-one home theater setups at the stores for under 500 bucks or search craigslist...hell Im pretty sure you could find one that plays Blu-Ray for a pretty good price. If you don't care about Blu-Ray then PM me. I have a pretty decent Sony HTIB with DTS/Dolby Digital and 5.1 speaker setup that sounds pretty good that I would let go pretty cheap..but its not Blu-Ray.

FUCK Canada
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 11:31 PM
Lifer

GIve me a budget on a urround sound system and I will help you find the best deals on stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement