ir repeator or remote - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

ir repeator or remote

I am putting all l my electronics in a closet, I was wondering instead of getting a ir repeater and having all the remotes is there a bad ass "super remote" that does all this and goes threw walls that even I can program.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast.0 View Post
I am putting all l my electronics in a closet, I was wondering instead of getting a ir repeater and having all the remotes is there a bad ass "super remote" that does all this and goes threw walls that even I can program.

Thanks
Look at the harmony remote from Logitech... there is one remote with RF capabilities or you can do like I did and buy an RF extender to add to any of their remotes. I've got the Harmony 1100.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
Look at the harmony remote from Logitech... there is one remote with RF capabilities or you can do like I did and buy an RF extender to add to any of their remotes. I've got the Harmony 1100.

does it go threw walls

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Lifer

Quote:
does it go threw walls
It doesn't need line of sight as it's RF. I've used it outside while my gear is in my media room (through a brickwall, 4-5 sheetrock walls, floor joist, carpet)... yes, it'll go through walls.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 09:53 PM
duh...duh....duh

Yeah, I've had good luck with my 890 over the years. I dunno of the others beside Logitech though.

My '03 Sold.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Time Served

It's not RF, but I got a Harmony 670 for Christmas. I'm really impressed so far with how versatile it is and relatively simple to set up. My kids picked it up from Amazon for $54 shipped on sale.

You can also do IR repeater/extender if you don't want to drop the cash on an RF remote.

-Darrell

93 Cobra #199

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Lifer

Quote:

Thanks

If you need someone to run the wires and set it all up for you; shoot me a PM
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Time Served

I've got an almost new Harmony 1000 with RF base station that I will sell you for cheap. We used it as a demo unit for a couple jobs. I also have a Phillip's remote that is wi-fi enabled, but it is very expensive and probably overkill for what you are doing.

Hit me up with a PM if you are interested in seeing the Harmony.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Lifer

Stay away from the harmony 1000/1100. Damn remote is cool for the first hour then gets old having to use two hands anytime you wanna do anything. Everyone "ewwww's and ahhhhh's" over it when they see it, then as soon as they use it they wonder why I spent so much on it lol. I use a harmony 1100, harmony IR repeater and PS3 bluetooth adapter.

The IR repeater works great as does the bluetooth adapter. The only gripe I have with them is anytime you make any changes, no matter how small, to the programming of the remote, you HAVE to update the IR repeater too. That means unplugging the power and IR wires and hooking up the base to the computer to update. Total PITA.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
Stay away from the harmony 1000/1100. Damn remote is cool for the first hour then gets old having to use two hands anytime you wanna do anything. Everyone "ewwww's and ahhhhh's" over it when they see it, then as soon as they use it they wonder why I spent so much on it lol. I use a harmony 1100, harmony IR repeater and PS3 bluetooth adapter.

The IR repeater works great as does the bluetooth adapter. The only gripe I have with them is anytime you make any changes, no matter how small, to the programming of the remote, you HAVE to update the IR repeater too. That means unplugging the power and IR wires and hooking up the base to the computer to update. Total PITA.
Really? I haven't had any issues with this at all. In fact, I think I update mine weekly and have only updated my IR repeater once.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
Really? I haven't had any issues with this at all. In fact, I think I update mine weekly and have only updated my IR repeater once.
There is no way you can make any change and not update the repeater. I have yet to make a change to my remote and NOT have to update the repeater as well. Even something as simple as change the name of a function requires it.

Also, my 1100 has a HORRIBLE lag in the time you hit the button and the time it does anything. I have talked to Logitech and they confirmed I have the settings correct to have as little delay as possible and it is still horrible. I dont know what the issue is there but I have heard it from alot of people. Trying to pause TV on a certain part is damn near impossible.

Oh and most visually annoying problem is the remote will not display the buttons for the PS3 like it will for the xbox 360 and logitech has been dragging ass fixing it. The software shows it should show the buttons but it wont after updating.

I really would like to get a Harmony ONE but dont know if my IR repeater or BD adapter are compatible. There was something stopping me from moving back if I remember correctly as I already looked into it maybe a month after starting to use my 1100.

**EDIT** BTW, by IR repeater I am talking about the logitech RF extender. Uses RF from the remote to the base then IR to the individual compnents. Im assuming we are all on the same page but just making sure.

Last edited by Lason; 01-04-2010 at 12:05 PM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Lifer

Quote:
There is no way you can make any change and not update the repeater. I have yet to make a change to my remote and NOT have to update the repeater as well. Even something as simple as change the name of a function requires it.

Also, my 1100 has a HORRIBLE lag in the time you hit the button and the time it does anything. I have talked to Logitech and they confirmed I have the settings correct to have as little delay as possible and it is still horrible. I dont know what the issue is there but I have heard it from alot of people. Trying to pause TV on a certain part is damn near impossible.

Oh and most visually annoying problem is the remote will not display the buttons for the PS3 like it will for the xbox 360 and logitech has been dragging ass fixing it. The software shows it should show the buttons but it wont after updating.

I really would like to get a Harmony ONE but dont know if my IR repeater or BD adapter are compatible. There was something stopping me from moving back if I remember correctly as I already looked into it maybe a month after starting to use my 1100.

**EDIT** BTW, by IR repeater I am talking about the logitech RF extender. Uses RF from the remote to the base then IR to the individual compnents. Im assuming we are all on the same page but just making sure.
No I know what you mean but I'm telling you man... I haven't had to update it since I first put it in. Now if I were adding devices, yea I could see that but I have changed activities and not had to update the RF extender.

Sucks about the PS3 but I don't have one so I don't have to worry about that. I have seen some delay (volume) and some volume run away (hold volume up and it keeps going to where I have the limiter turned on in the receiver) which is a common problem with Denon AVR's and Logitechs.

I'm moving on to a Crestron system for the HT room so I won't have the 1100 for long. I just want direct control over RS232 and two way functionality, both the 1100 can't touch.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 01:03 PM
duh...duh....duh

I just don't update the repeater and all works fine.

My '03 Sold.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
I just don't update the repeater and all works fine.
How it says "plug in RF extender" and waits for it. Do you just plug in the remote instead and it skips that step? I may try that and see what it does. There are a few small changes I want to make but the thought of having to snake out my RF extender and all that kills it. I just live with the quirks.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 01:18 PM
duh...duh....duh

Ya know, I'm trying to remember the details but I remember being pissed off about having to continuously unplug/plug the repeater.

If I remember right, it ask for the remote first then the repeater right? Just don't do the repeater. If that's not the case, I can't remember. I just know it is possible, since I was damned fed up with it too. Especially when you're doing trickery with the programming and have to test over and over.

My '03 Sold.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Lifer

I just tried updating the name of a activity and it asked me to connect the extender. It would not allow me to click next and if I connected the remote instead it error'd out.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 07:38 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
I just tried updating the name of a activity and it asked me to connect the extender. It would not allow me to click next and if I connected the remote instead it error'd out.
This weekend I'll try to figure out what I did. Since it has been probably a year since I've done it the software/remote could use an update anyway - Plus it'll prove to me whether I'm going retarded or not. (more so then usual.)

My '03 Sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement