Thought I'd throw an update out... (copy and pasted from another forum)
I got around to finally installing my MA SRSR (sliding/rotating) 27u rack system. 27u is all the vertical room I had clearance for in my attic (1st floor ceiling below, roof rafters above).
Started out building an encasement for the rack to live in. This would be pinned to the sides with double studs, on the bottom with a cripple stud footer and new 2x6 rafter spanning between two columns on the first floor.
The rack assembled. Front section is the sliding section, back section is the rack. The back attaches to the rail section with 4 wingnuts. Whole thing was probably 50-60 lbs completed with no gear loaded.
Hole cut... FINALLY some actually work gets done in this room. I've added the double studs on each side, header, footer, and rafter.
Why you should always wear work gloves or use a "screw sleeve" on your drill. My drill slipped off of a screw and went into my left index finger. I just taped it up with some electrical tape and kept working. A doctor visit a week later confirmed some nerve damage. We're waiting to see what happens over the next month or so to see how it heals up. 3 weeks later it's still sore, tight, and "asleep" feeling. It's better, but far from 100%.
Casement put into the wall and the sliding portion of the rack is installed. As part of the testing of both the rack and my carpentry (lack of skills are self-admitted) I stood on the end of the rack. No creaking, buckling, or movement was noticed as all 210 lbs of me stood on the fully extended rack.
Wiring pulled and terminated. Speaker wire was scraped for CL2 12AWG wire. The network wire was punched down to a 4 keystone jack plate.
Looking good... I'm just using some MA vented faceplates in between equipment to fill up the rack and passively cool everything. As I add more gear and replaced the vented plates, I will add an active cooling system. Now let's wire.
Rack extended and rotated to make sure there was enough wire slack to fully extend and rotate both ways.
As much wire was field terminated and zip tied to lacing bars. By no means am I an expert at this and this was my first attempt at a "clean" job. Still not happy with the result but it's 10x better than what I was doing before.
Fully loaded and trimmed with just some generic casing that we have through the rest of the house. We're not big fans of stain so I just painted to match the walls.
In rack temps are staying 5-8*F above ambient with all gear on and running pretty loud. The xbox by far and away is the biggest contributor of heat. As I add more equipment (crestron control and whole house amps) I will go with an active solution.