My media room... work in progress - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

My media room... work in progress

Been working on this off and on for about 9 months now. Still so much to do but I only do a few hours of work every few weeks since our 1 year old takes up a lot of our time.

Things left to do:
X DONE - Install in wall Middle Atlantic equipment rack... going to be a tough one to do since it will be floating in the wall and difficult to support from behind. The attic floor drops down about 4 feet behind the wall. (last pic shows location)
X DONE - Move projector over about 10"... having issues getting the picture absolutely square... lens shift can only do so much.
X DONE - Find and purchase a replacement center channel current center doesn't fill the room like it should and mount to wall (sell glass cabinet thing)... Looking for a Infinity Beta C-360 to match the towers or just sell everything and go with Klipsch Reference Series or Aperion Audio.
- Frame in door where opening is... will keep the sound out of the rest of the house (at least a lot more than now)
- Lug second 15" Velodyne Subwoofer upstairs.
X DONE - Rewire sound using Class 2 wiring... I just ran indoor speaker wire for quick hook up
X DONE - Replace Elec Outlets and return HVAC with color matched
- Paint base boards to match wall
- Install lighting controls
X DONE - Start the Crestron install
- More acoustic panels (black on ceiling), diffusion panels on back wall... still too much echo

Equipment:
Mitsubishi HC6500 1080p Projector
120" Elite Screen Fixed 16:9
APC Rack Mounted Power Supply and Battery (only the PJ is hooked up to it for battery)
Denon AVR-4308ci Receiver
Denon DVD-2500 BTci Blu-Ray Player
Xbox 360 Elite
Infinity Beta Towers and center channel
Infinity ES inwall surround speakers
Logitech 1100 remote with RF (soon to be replaced with Crestron Touch Screen)
Home made Acoustic Panels with Tapestry fabric (wife still needs to make the pillows)

Last edited by Leif; 05-27-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Time Served

Wow that looks great!! What color is the walls?

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad03Cobra View Post
Wow that looks great!! What color is the walls?
Walls are a dark dark brown... the 2nd pic is probably the most accurate for color.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 03:18 PM
is chilaxing

Looking good man. I probably won't start mine for another 1 to 2 years from now.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 06:23 PM
dead

very nicely done.

as far as center channels take a look into the infinity alpha 37c. i cant remember what the difference was between the beta and alphas, but i remember the betas taking a step backwards. upgrading the front 3 wouldn't be a bad idea either.

not sure i understood, where are you moving that sub to?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion View Post
very nicely done.

as far as center channels take a look into the infinity alpha 37c. i cant remember what the difference was between the beta and alphas, but i remember the betas taking a step backwards. upgrading the front 3 wouldn't be a bad idea either.

not sure i understood, where are you moving that sub to?
Not move... Add a second.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 09:06 AM
lol, this place sucks now

love it!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Turbobrooks

Location: You can call me Aaron Burr from the way I'm dropping Hamiltons
Looks great!

Allen Werl Performance Racecraft Motorsports Inc.

Made possible by:
http://www.jamesbschassisservices.com
http://www.brooksracecraft.com
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Lifer

Looks good. Our media room is pretty much the same color.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Lifer

Very nice. Looks great.

What's the square footage of that room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thanks for the comments guys! I've gotten a few things knocked off my list this week.

New Center channel installed (massive both in size and in sound)
Painted HVAC return
Installed Black Crestron HVAC Thermostat (not hooked up to Crestron system yet)

Total Sq ft of the room is about 340 with a view distance of about 14.5' from the screen.

I've got my Class 2 speaker wiring in from monoprice so if I can get past the 20*F attic I might tackle that this weekend.

Last edited by Leif; 01-08-2010 at 09:48 PM.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 10:57 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Now that's what I'm talkin' about. Very nice.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Pics of new stuff...

Crestron HVAC control. This is a network enabled HVAC thermostat that will be controlled by the Crestron touch panel system that I haven't put in yet. As of now, it acts as just a thermostat but has all kinds of controls for damn near anything (outside temp, remote temp sensors to measure multiple parts of the room, adjustable variances, etc).

I didn't think anything was wrong with my C250 center channel... just thought the thing was "smaller" than it needed to be. After much searching I finally found it's bigger brother (this stuff was discontinued a few years ago) that upgrades the woofers from 5.25" to 6 1/2" and adds another mid-range driver. Holy crap, what a difference! I guess something was wrong with the previous speaker because the "zaps" sounded differently on the audyssy calibration this time around and what I used to listen to at -5db I now listen to at max -12db (almost ear peircing) but it's enjoyable at -25db for regular viewing.

The wife leaves the room at -20db, the dog runs at at -15db. At -12db... I smile.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Lifer

Nice. I dig it.

Quote:
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 11:38 AM
dead

very nice!
3 way center channel is a good move.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Lifer

Any details on the whole creston setup?????

<---AMX ace installer certified lol
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
Any details on the whole creston setup?????

<---AMX ace installer certified lol
NICE! My old neighbor worked has worked for AMX for 15-20 years now as an exec. He's have my head if he knew I wasn't doing AMX.

Crestron Pro2 Control Processor (might go with the AV2 with Cage2)
Control of HT gear via RS-232 (PJ, AVR, BD Player, APC power) xbox controlled by IR
TPMC-8x touch screen both upstairs and down
3 zones of controlled HVAC
Distributed Video via pvid8x3 to 5 zones with return
Distributed Audio to 8 zones via bipad8
ipod doc in kitchen
Couple of zones of RF lighting (HT room, master bedroom, 2x living room, dining room, outside lighting)
Iphone mobile remote control

I'm still working out my design and programming in SIMPL and then have a ton of VT-PROe work to do.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Time Served

Hardcore shit man! I still just want a 50" lol

03 Mach1
02 Sierra
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thought I'd throw an update out... (copy and pasted from another forum)

I got around to finally installing my MA SRSR (sliding/rotating) 27u rack system. 27u is all the vertical room I had clearance for in my attic (1st floor ceiling below, roof rafters above).

Started out building an encasement for the rack to live in. This would be pinned to the sides with double studs, on the bottom with a cripple stud footer and new 2x6 rafter spanning between two columns on the first floor.

The rack assembled. Front section is the sliding section, back section is the rack. The back attaches to the rail section with 4 wingnuts. Whole thing was probably 50-60 lbs completed with no gear loaded.

Hole cut... FINALLY some actually work gets done in this room. I've added the double studs on each side, header, footer, and rafter.

Why you should always wear work gloves or use a "screw sleeve" on your drill. My drill slipped off of a screw and went into my left index finger. I just taped it up with some electrical tape and kept working. A doctor visit a week later confirmed some nerve damage. We're waiting to see what happens over the next month or so to see how it heals up. 3 weeks later it's still sore, tight, and "asleep" feeling. It's better, but far from 100%.

Casement put into the wall and the sliding portion of the rack is installed. As part of the testing of both the rack and my carpentry (lack of skills are self-admitted) I stood on the end of the rack. No creaking, buckling, or movement was noticed as all 210 lbs of me stood on the fully extended rack.

Wiring pulled and terminated. Speaker wire was scraped for CL2 12AWG wire. The network wire was punched down to a 4 keystone jack plate.

Looking good... I'm just using some MA vented faceplates in between equipment to fill up the rack and passively cool everything. As I add more gear and replaced the vented plates, I will add an active cooling system. Now let's wire.

Rack extended and rotated to make sure there was enough wire slack to fully extend and rotate both ways.

As much wire was field terminated and zip tied to lacing bars. By no means am I an expert at this and this was my first attempt at a "clean" job. Still not happy with the result but it's 10x better than what I was doing before.

Fully loaded and trimmed with just some generic casing that we have through the rest of the house. We're not big fans of stain so I just painted to match the walls.

In rack temps are staying 5-8*F above ambient with all gear on and running pretty loud. The xbox by far and away is the biggest contributor of heat. As I add more equipment (crestron control and whole house amps) I will go with an active solution.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 03:44 PM
is chilaxing

nice work man
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 03:52 PM
dead

great work!
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Packin' up...

Wow... that looks great!
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thx guys! For having never done this before it's coming along slowly, but exactly how I wanted it.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Lifer

Did you make your own faceplates for the XBOX 360 and the receiver? It looks really good! I'm doing something very similar but DIY in my media room.

generic signature
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I've DIY'd everything. DIY as in I've done all the labor without anyone else's help. DIY can mean a lot of things... "I do my own labor" to "I build my own speakers." LOL

The faceplates are middle atlantic shelfs and custom faceplates cut per peice for equipment needed.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Lifer

Looking good. Very nice set up.

Quote:
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
I've DIY'd everything. DIY as in I've done all the labor without anyone else's help. DIY can mean a lot of things... "I do my own labor" to "I build my own speakers." LOL

The faceplates are middle atlantic shelfs and custom faceplates cut per peice for equipment needed.
I should have said that I took heavy duty drawer slides and a lazy susan bearing and fabricated a copy of the Middle Atlantic rack that you have. I'll post pics later. My other question should have been were the faceplates the RSH series? If so, how do you like them? I was worried that the finish wouldn't match the other blanks that I have already purchased from racks.com. I may end up cutting 3u and 4u blanks to fit my equipment.

generic signature
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Time Served

i love home theaters. i have one my self i went with flat bacl on the ceiling and had www.nightskymurals.com paint the stars. i love it

00 Excursion PSD tuned and bolt-ons (very quick for 5ton truck )
03 Toyota Prius "MarioKart"
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Time Served

*black

00 Excursion PSD tuned and bolt-ons (very quick for 5ton truck )
03 Toyota Prius "MarioKart"
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 05:27 PM
lol, this place sucks now

Thumbs up

post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4 View Post
LOL I saw that a few weeks ago. What a douche.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement