WTF... optical out only on new LG LCD? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
CJ
User may be editing post.

WTF... optical out only on new LG LCD?

I just swapped out my old 42" westy for a 47" 120hz LG 47LH40, and it has no RCA audio out... my old clunker mitsubishi receiver does not have optical... are you serious that these most recent TV's have no RCA audio output? It has 4 different RCA inputs? I guess I'll be getting use to the TV speakers (bleh) and let my polk speakers collect dust until I upgrade my receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 11:30 PM
Lifer

It's cheaper to manufacture that way. Fucking sucks when the company forgoes function to make way for that bottom line.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
It's cheaper to manufacture that way. Fucking sucks when the company forgoes function to make way for that bottom line.
meh, it was time to upgrade 4 years ago, hopefully full audio/video HDMI switching receivers have become cheaper, last time I checked (2-3 years ago) they were around 600+

On the other hand, 120hz is pretty damn impressive, biggest change in tv viewing I've seen since HD.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 12:04 AM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
meh, it was time to upgrade 4 years ago, hopefully full audio/video HDMI switching receivers have become cheaper, last time I checked (2-3 years ago) they were around 600+

On the other hand, 120hz is pretty damn impressive, biggest change in tv viewing I've seen since HD.
Much cheaper, you'll have no problem finding an HDMI switching receiver

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford View Post
Much cheaper, you'll have no problem finding an HDMI switching receiver
audio and video combined?

I must admit, 120hz makes all my favorite movies look cheap and fake, I'm noticing all kinds of stuff that I never noticed before...very odd.

do you guys recommend any affordable receivers? Looking for something that can switch audio/video HDMI between at minimum 4 sources and has enough power to drive 4 polk floor speakers and center channel.

Last edited by CJ; 12-24-2009 at 12:44 AM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 01:21 AM
Lifer

I've always had good luck with Onkyo. Even their entry level stuff on newer models have HDMI switching with multiple inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 01:47 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
I must admit, 120hz makes all my favorite movies look cheap and fake, I'm noticing all kinds of stuff that I never noticed before...very odd.
Noticed that while watching a movie on a buddy's TV the other night. Really didn't care for it at all.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 02:14 AM
Lifer

Quote:

It's interesting that you say that. I knew someone that had the same complaint about the 120hz LCD. Didn't feel it looked real or film like. Returned it and got a plasma and now would never go back to LCD. Plasma looks lifelike with deep blacks, especially on 1080p/24 frames per second mode on a Blu-ray movie.

You should consider getting a quality video calibration disc like AVIA and calibrate it. It may make a world of difference from the out of the box settings.

Quote:
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 07:46 AM
Lifer

We've turned 120hz off on all of our TVs... looks very odd like some kind of gimmicky 3d effect.

You can find some HDMI-less but has optical receivers on craigslist for cheap. I'm getting ready to sell my Sony ES on there as soon as I know I'm not going to use it for whole house audio.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
It's interesting that you say that. I knew someone that had the same complaint about the 120hz LCD. Didn't feel it looked real or film like. Returned it and got a plasma and now would never go back to LCD. Plasma looks lifelike with deep blacks, especially on 1080p/24 frames per second mode on a Blu-ray movie.

You should consider getting a quality video calibration disc like AVIA and calibrate it. It may make a world of difference from the out of the box settings.
The new LG's have a calibration program built into it, it's a pretty good one as well.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Gunga galunga

I use an Onkyo sr705 and really like it. The current year models end with a 7, last year's models end with a 6 and you could probably pickup a prior year model on the cheap. They all have 4 hdmi inputs with audio, and they can upscale analog inputs to hdmi as well.

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford View Post
I use an Onkyo sr705 and really like it. The current year models end with a 7, last year's models end with a 6 and you could probably pickup a prior year model on the cheap. They all have 4 hdmi inputs with audio, and they can upscale analog inputs to hdmi as well.
so it switches both audio and video via the hdmi cable? A few years back most receivers couldn't do the audio and the video, just the video - I'm assuming that has changed.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Lifer

Quote:
so it switches both audio and video via the hdmi cable? A few years back most receivers couldn't do the audio and the video, just the video - I'm assuming that has changed.
Yes, it switches both audio/video with the receiver on or off. And it also will perform upconversion in needed.

And if you have a HDTV or Blu-ray player with Anynet+, you can auto turn of the receiver just by turning on the device.

I can turn on my Samsung BD player with Anynet+ enabled and it will automatically fire up the receiver.

Cool stuff. Most '08 & up models will do this. As this is becoming the norm for all new receivers.

Quote:
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 01:17 AM
Lifer

Just saw this on slickdeals. Looks close to what you are looking for, don't know if it is a good price ($479), but they are usually good deals if they are up there.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 02:53 PM
yes, jluv

I don't understand why you would need any audio outputs on your tv. Why not go from the source to the receiver?

Receivers with full hdmi switching are very common nowadays, and not too expensive. I have an onkyo htib setup that does it, and it's about 2 years old, and was maybe 600-ish when I bought it.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv View Post
I don't understand why you would need any audio outputs on your tv. Why not go from the source to the receiver?

Receivers with full hdmi switching are very common nowadays, and not too expensive. I have an onkyo htib setup that does it, and it's about 2 years old, and was maybe 600-ish when I bought it.
Only reason I can see why you'd want it is if you're getting over the air HD since the TV is then the source of the content.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 08:59 PM
you stinky bitch

I know exactly what you mean about the movies looking "fake". I went from a 720p set to a 1080p led 240hz set. I was not sure if I liked the effect or not to tell you the truth. It looks like they filmed the movie with a "handy cam" or like its a rough shot movie meant to be taken and processed with "movie effects" Picture sure is damn clear though.

Best something in Texas.... just don't know what it is yet....
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Lifer

I purchased a Pioneer VSX-1019 for just at 500 from Best Buy. I love this thing. Also if your an ipod fan it comes with all of the cables to connect the ipod to the receiver. It's 120watts at 8ohms x 7 channels. It will also power a zone 2 or you can bi-amp your mains. It has 4 hdmi in puts and 1 hdmi out. The receiver will also up-convert standard def to 1080p. Also it of course decodes all of the latest audio/video codecs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers...?tag=mncol;lst

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-home-au...tColumnArea1.0

If you go to the Pioneer site they have a few receivers that are cheaper and also have hdmi inputs/output.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
Only reason I can see why you'd want it is if you're getting over the air HD since the TV is then the source of the content.

that's precisely why. I've been looking at receivers lately and I think I'm going to end up getting a harmon kardon or onkyo. I've always been partial to hk products.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxerbrett View Post
I purchased a Pioneer VSX-1019 for just at 500 from Best Buy. I love this thing. Also if your an ipod fan it comes with all of the cables to connect the ipod to the receiver. It's 120watts at 8ohms x 7 channels. It will also power a zone 2 or you can bi-amp your mains. It has 4 hdmi in puts and 1 hdmi out. The receiver will also up-convert standard def to 1080p. Also it of course decodes all of the latest audio/video codecs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers...?tag=mncol;lst

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-home-au...tColumnArea1.0

If you go to the Pioneer site they have a few receivers that are cheaper and also have hdmi inputs/output.

x2. these recievers are the shit. I love mine. Got it as an open box at BB for 375.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement