Important tip regarding DolbyTrueHD Blu-ray discs - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Lightbulb Important tip regarding DolbyTrueHD Blu-ray discs

I and several others have noticed that when you play certain movies with a DolbyTrueHD soundtrack it will automatically turn on Dynamic Range/Dynamic Volume/CinemaTheater filter compression in your receiver. Each receiver uses difference nomenclature for this function, so I just used a catch all description. It has done this on my Onkyo and on other people's PS3's and even Anthem AVRs.

I tested this scenario out on both Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and Iron Man Blu-ray. It did the same thing each time. It will either switch it to on or auto. I had to go into the AVR settings each time and turn off Cinema Theater filter compression.

For some people this is a none issue, but if you want the full unaffected volume and dynamic range from the movie this is an annoyance. Some people can hear the difference; Some people can't.

Depending on your model receiver, this may or may not happen. However, it seems to happen on several different makes.

You have two options:

1. If you Bitstream out your audio over HDMI to allow your receiver to do the decoding, then you can always manually check your AVR settings. And you do this after you start the movie. It won't occur during the menu, usually. Once the movie has started you can verify if DRC or Cinema Theater filter mode is on, off, or auto. Then you can turn it off, if you so wish. You have to do this every time, it seems.

2. If you have a Blu-ray player with on board decoding for DTS MA and DolbyTrueHD, then you can simply set it to PCM out and the receiver will just play what it is fed without manipulating the signal. However, in this case you will need to turn off Dynamic range\Dynamic volume compression in your player's settings. The difference being, is once you do it in the player settings the changes are permanent. Where on the AVR it seems to get changed automatically by this particular audio codec.

I actually re-watched certain scenes in Iron Man once I heard about this and there was a difference. My receiver was automatically kicking on DRC and I had no idea this was happening. I got this tip on an audiophile forum and decided to test it myself. Dynamic range compression or CinemaTheater filter compression limits the highs and lows in the soundtrack.

Just a FYI for those who may be interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.

Last edited by Mustangman_2000; 12-15-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Time Served

Do you change the setting on the PS3 or on the Receiver? I got a PS3 and a Onkyo 606 receiver.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 03:02 PM
yes, jluv

I have a PS3 connected to an Onkyo receiver, and I watch Blu-rays with TrueHD soundtracks frequently, but I have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm not saying it's wrong, just saying that I have played around with my receiver quite a bit, but I don't remember seeing that setting or feature.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

If you set the Blu-ray player to bitstream out the receiver will handle the HD audio decoding, then you will need to change the settings in the receiver. This is assuming you have a receiver that can decode DTS MA | DolbyTrueHD. The DolbyTrueHD seems to automatically kick on Dynamic Range Compression in several receiver makes/models. If you want to hear the full range of the movie soundtrack, this has to be turned off on a case by case basis. Thus far, I have tested three Blu-ray movies with DolbyTrueHD and it automatically turns on my late night cinema theater filter compression. I have to go manually toggle it to off during the movie.

If you have a Blu-ray player that can do on board HD audio decoding, then you will simply set it to PCM out to the receiver. Then, in most cases, when you turn Dynamic Range Compression/Dynamic Volume Compression off in the player, it stays turned off permanently.

I don't know the technical details on the PS3 settings. I'm using a stand alone Samsung BD player.

Quote:
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.

Last edited by Mustangman_2000; 12-15-2009 at 03:19 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Turbobrooks

Location: You can call me Aaron Burr from the way I'm dropping Hamiltons
Thanks for the heads up!

Allen Werl Performance Racecraft Motorsports Inc.

Made possible by:
http://www.jamesbschassisservices.com
http://www.brooksracecraft.com
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv View Post
I have a PS3 connected to an Onkyo receiver, and I watch Blu-rays with TrueHD soundtracks frequently, but I have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm not saying it's wrong, just saying that I have played around with my receiver quite a bit, but I don't remember seeing that setting or feature.
Example: I have a Onkyo TX-SR507 that has on board HD audio decoding (e.g., DTS MA & Dolby True HD). I have a Samsung BD player. I am bitstreaming audio out over HDMI to the receiver to allow the Onkyo to do the HD audio decoding. I can turn on the receiver and turn off late night cinema theater filter and dynamic volume compression. I can then pop in Iron Man or Harry Potter Blu-ray both having Dolby TrueHD soundtracks, check the receiver settings, and they are now set to on for late night cinema filter compression. I then manually toggle it back to off and all is good. If I repeat the same scenario using a Blu-ray title with DTS MA it will not reproduce this action.

The point is simply that several Dolby TrueHD titles with that particular audio codec is enabling DRC in the receiver. This has been experienced by people with Onkyo, Marantz, Anthem, etc...

Not all movies and not all machines. It's just a FYI for those that are interested in not having their movie soundtrack's extreme highs and lows attenuated by auto enabled DRC. This could also be a firmware issue for those of us experiencing it. However, it seems as if just about everyone has seen this occur on Iron Man Blu-ray.

Quote:

Last edited by Mustangman_2000; 12-15-2009 at 03:21 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 03:36 PM
yes, jluv

My receiver has a late night setting, but I've never touched it. I thought it had something to do with lights, lol. I'm pretty sure it's always off, but I'll have to check that out. Now, is therE another setting on the onkyos that this applies to besides the late night thing?

Also, since I have a ps3, and a receiver that decodes TrueHD, which one do I use for the decoding? I think I've always used bitstream, and the receiver automatically switches to "multichannel" on the display. I thought PCM was a downmix into stereo, so I've always stayed away from it.

Any info there?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 04:42 PM
is chilaxing

One of these days I'll update to a HD receiver. Still using optical. Still sounds awesome to me.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 04:48 PM
is chilaxing

Quote:
My receiver has a late night setting, but I've never touched it. I thought it had something to do with lights, lol. I'm pretty sure it's always off, but I'll have to check that out. Now, is therE another setting on the onkyos that this applies to besides the late night thing?

Also, since I have a ps3, and a receiver that decodes TrueHD, which one do I use for the decoding? I think I've always used bitstream, and the receiver automatically switches to "multichannel" on the display. I thought PCM was a downmix into stereo, so I've always stayed away from it.

Any info there?

Check this thread out Jared

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-...hd-dts-hd.html

post 15 gives what I believe is what you're looking for.

"I know this is a old thread but I thought I would toss in my 2 cents. I recently have seen alot of confusion pertaining to the PS3 and the High def audio signals(Dolby tru-hd and DTS master) Now here is what I recommend- If you have a Reciever that can decode theses new codecs( i.e Onkyo 606) I suggest you go into the option menu on your PS3 and change it to the "Bitstream" option that way your letting your reciever do all of the decoding. Now here is the exception. When your watching a BD with either Dolby TRU HD or DTS Master you will need to go back into the option menu and change your PS3 back to PCM. As the PS3 will not send these codecs out bitstream as others have mentioned, this way your PS3 is internally decoding these. I know its a bit of a hassle, but the only time you need to really take your PS3 off the bitstream option is when watching BD's with Dolby tru-HD or DTS master. I hope this helps."
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:

Any info there?
My Onkyo has Late Night Cinema Filter, Dynamic EQ, and Dynamic Volume in the audio menu. Dynamic Volume is a compression mode. Cinema Filter will soften the brightness of soundtrack, which is essentially a type of compression or sound attenuating method.

These can be activated automatically by certain DolbyTrueHD Blu-ray soundtracks.

I don't have a PS3, so I can't fully answer your question. If it helps, this is how it works on my system. If I select Bitstream Audiophile out over HDMI in the Samsung BD player settings, it just passes the encoded signal to the Onkyo for it to handle the decoding. This is all in regards to High Definition audio. The Onkyo would display either DTS MA or DoblyTrueHD on the panel.

If I wanted to reverse the scenario, I could because my Samsung BD player also has on board HD audio decoding. In that scenario, I would set the player to PCM out over HDMI and it would send the already decoded signal to the Onkyo for it to simply be amplified. The Onkyo would not be doing any decoding. The Onkyo would display PCM Multichannel Surround on the panel.

The PCM out will only downmix to 2 channel if it is connecting over an optical or digital co-ax cable. Those two cable standards will not pass HD audio. PCM downsampling is also something that makes it compatible with receivers that are 96KHz compatible, as most older units are 48KHz compatible. However, when you use a player that has internal HD audio decoding (DTS MA & DolbyTrueHD) you will have a choice in the audio menu on which unit you want to perform the decoding. PCM out if you want to use the Blu-ray player decoder or Bitstream out if you want the receiver to perform the decoding, both over HDMI.

None of this applies to people connecting their systems via optical or digital co-ax. As neither of those cable mediums will pass HD audio.

Quote:

Last edited by Mustangman_2000; 12-16-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement