Coax to VGA or DVI? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Coax to VGA or DVI?

So I have a flat panel monitor that only has VGA and DVI inputs. I want to split the feed coming off one of my dish receivers and run a signal to an adjacent room, to this monitor. Is there some sort of adapter I can use just before the monitor that will switch the coax to either DVI or VGA?

I'm about to hunt around on monoprice, but I figured maybe someone can tell me if this is even possible.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv View Post
So I have a flat panel monitor that only has VGA and DVI inputs. I want to split the feed coming off one of my dish receivers and run a signal to an adjacent room, to this monitor. Is there some sort of adapter I can use just before the monitor that will switch the coax to either DVI or VGA?

I'm about to hunt around on monoprice, but I figured maybe someone can tell me if this is even possible.

Thanks in advance.
I know there is a dvi to hdmi adapter. I imagine there has to be one for coax to dvi, but not positive.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Licking the windows!

If you find one, it will be a box of some sort not an adapter and will probably cost at least $150

"Friends" help you move......."Real Friends" help you move bodies!

GIFSoup

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Time Served

Is coax the only output on the Dish receiver? No VGA/S-Vid or HDMI?

-Darrell

93 Cobra #199

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by red95gts View Post
Is coax the only output on the Dish receiver? No VGA/S-Vid or HDMI?
No, the receiver has hdmi, component, RCA, and s-vid outputs. I don't know if it will output to more than one at a time, though. I could use some type of splitter for one of those, but The monitor doesn't support any of those connections.

I've seen the HDMI to DVI adapters, but that would mean

A. Splitting the HDMI signal out of the receiver

and

B. Running like 50' of HDMI cable.

Splitting the coax is simple, as is making and running any length, so I'd like to convert it just before the monitor.

I'm open to suggestions if there is an easier way.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by MireFire 2.0 View Post
If you find one, it will be a box of some sort not an adapter and will probably cost at least $150
Ouch. Not worth it. This was just gonna be for the master bathroom. It's more about putting the extra monitor to use vs actually needing tv in there.

Edit: Yep, a quick search pointed me towards those boxes in that price range, essentially analog to digital converters, with built-in tuners, etc. More than what I need. Oh well. I'll just save this thing for a carputer build, I guess.

Last edited by jluv; 12-09-2009 at 03:38 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Time Served

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Time Served

The cheapest you could probably do it for is about $75ish, even then you might have quality issues because of the length of the run (using cat5e extenders + hdmi splitter + hdmi/dvi adapter) and you might still have a problem because of HDCP.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Time Served

might work but he would have to check if his box will output HDMI (if that's what he is using now) and s-video at the same time and if you were watching an HD channel on the television nothing would be output to the other monitor.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 12:31 PM

dish network boxes can feed two different streams to two diff. tvs at the same time... (at least mine does) One tv is run on the hdmi, the only option for the other is just a coax out.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandkid View Post
dish network boxes can feed two different streams to two diff. tvs at the same time... (at least mine does) One tv is run on the hdmi, the only option for the other is just a coax out.
Ya, I'm not worried about getting the signal out of the receiver, just getting the signal converted to VGA or DVI at the monitor.

It's a bust of an idea. I've found another use for the monitor now. If I ever decide to have TV in the bathroom, I'll just use a real flat-panel television.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement