DLP TV Tuneup? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
WTF is Zed?

Question DLP TV Tuneup?

I have a 61" Samsung DLP TV that's 1080p. It's less than 2 years old.

The picture doesn't seem as crisp as it once did, it's a bit off. It still looks very good, just not as good as it used to. Like it's 720p instead of 1080p.

I know the bulb requires replacement after a while, but I don't think that's the problem. I've also heard about replacing the color wheel, whatever the hell that is.

Anyone have any pointers? Or can you recommed someone that can look at it without robbing me blind?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
WTF is Zed?

I've been reading that you can have a tech come out with a calibration DVD and fine tune your set for a few hundred bucks. Has anyone had this done? Was it worth it?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Dont Be Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DRSS View Post
I've been reading that you can have a tech come out with a calibration DVD and fine tune your set for a few hundred bucks. Has anyone had this done? Was it worth it?
we had it done to our samsung 50'' right after we bought it from best buy...what a difference it made..plus it will make the bulb last a little longer..

after 2 years i bet you have a weak bulb and what you are seeing is a slightly darker picture

95 gt - Work in progress...306,TFS heads,Holley systemax II,--It's Alive..After 3 years

2000 S-10 ZR2...Needs tires and a lift bad

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Lifer

I have a 46" Samsung DLP that's about 3 years old, and in the last couple of weeks it has started getting white spots, like dead pixels. It started with one for a week or so, now every few days another one shows up. I have 3 spots all the time, and 2 more that come and go now, any ideas?

Current Rides
'05 Cummins Quad Cab Dually, the daily
'07 Infiniti M35 Sport, the wifes daily
'06 Lexus GS430, why not...
'92 Coupe, minitubbed, 385w, little turbo, glide, etc. GONE but not forgotten
'92 LX Hatch, BBC, n2o, glide
'88 GT Vert, 347 NA, 5 spd., all new from the ground up
Previous Rides.......not enough room.........
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Time Served

My 3 year old mitsu dlp (replaced the bulb once already), was looking terrible. Really horrible.

It turns out that there was some sort of oil residue (like a noseprint) inside the light engine. I took it apart and cleaned it and now the picture is back to like new.

You might check on avsforum.com to see if there is a similar thing for your TV.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Lifer

Over time the bulb gets weak. I had something similar happen to my RCA DLP. Replaced the bulb and everything was bright and sharp again. And it doesn't take long for this deterioration process to happen either for people who watch a lot of TV. The downside to DLP technology.

Also, there is a disc called AVIA Calibration that you can use to calibrate your TV. That's what most of the videophiles use. Or you can use the THX calibration feature on any THX DVD like Star Wars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
WTF is Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
Over time the bulb gets weak. I had something similar happen to my RCA DLP. Replaced the bulb and everything was bright and sharp again. And it doesn't take long for this deterioration process to happen either for people who watch a lot of TV. The downside to DLP technology.

Also, there is a disc called AVIA Calibration that you can use to calibrate your TV. That's what most of the videophiles use. Or you can use the THX calibration feature on any THX DVD like Star Wars.
I used the Start Wars DVD, and the final test with the lines my set failed. They weren't perfectly straight. Guess I need to have a tech come out and look at it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement