Any of you guys got one of those giant Mitsubishi 73" DLP TVs? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

Any of you guys got one of those giant Mitsubishi 73" DLP TVs?

I am looking to buy one of those Mitsubishi 73" Televisions. I believe the current model is the WD-73C9. I am looking at Mitsubishi mainly cause I am pretty sure that they are the last company still making DLP televisions. Please correct me if I am wrong about that though. I would love to have more options than just the one. I saw one at frys recently and that thing is a monster. At least, compared to the mere 46" that I am used to. Anyone here own one? Or even have an opinion on their picture quality? I want something giant, but there really isn't an affordable plasma or LCD that approaches the 65" to 73" range. So what are yall's thoughts and opinions on it? Thanks for reading - Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 07:25 AM
Lifer

If you read some of the reviews on Crutchfield or CNET they are mostly positive, especially the Diamond series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsn95 View Post
I am looking to buy one of those Mitsubishi 73" Televisions. I believe the current model is the WD-73C9. I am looking at Mitsubishi mainly cause I am pretty sure that they are the last company still making DLP televisions. Please correct me if I am wrong about that though. I would love to have more options than just the one. I saw one at frys recently and that thing is a monster. At least, compared to the mere 46" that I am used to. Anyone here own one? Or even have an opinion on their picture quality? I want something giant, but there really isn't an affordable plasma or LCD that approaches the 65" to 73" range. So what are yall's thoughts and opinions on it? Thanks for reading - Jason

If you have the room for it, and dont need to hang a TV on the wall, they have good picture.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 08:32 AM
yes, jluv

I have one, a couple of models back. A few other folks here have them as well. I love mine. Great picture.

Fwiw, they have an 82" out now, as well.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

Weird. I was told that all other companies (Samsung, Sanyo, Sharp, Phillips, all of em) had stopped making DLP's and Mitsubishi was considering it as well. Why, I don't know. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 06:23 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Weird. I was told that all other companies (Samsung, Sanyo, Sharp, Phillips, all of em) had stopped making DLP's and Mitsubishi was considering it as well. Why, I don't know. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?
I've heard the same. Everything is going towards flat panels. Thing is, like you said, it's tough to find LCDs and plasmas in 60" or bigger that don't cost a fortune.

So, if you have the space for it, go DLP. And as long as they keep moving them, someone will make them. When the flat panels get huge and cheap, that will be the end of DLP for good, I'd imagine. Just from my own perception, Mistu has always been the king when it comes to DLP. Heck, do they even make flat panels?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 06:53 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

I had a Mitsubishi Diamond DLP RPTV and it took a shit 13 months after I bought it, a month outside of warranty, mitsu told me to take a hike. They use cheap ass Sanyo convergence integrated circuits which suffer from electromigration due to insufficient cooling. I took the main board out of the TV and desoldered both of the sanyo convergence IC's and replaced them, it lasted about a week and then shit the bed again... I did some research online and many, many people ran into this same problem. I'm completely done with mitsubishi from now on.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

I did the exact same thing on my toshiba 42" (I was wrong earlier, it's not 46" it's 42 lol) but it took about 6 years for it's IC chips to go out. I had to do a whole bunch of research, and then I bought 2 new chips off the internet for around $27. I pulled the board and yanked the old ones, then soldered in the new ones. Then I spent about 2 hours calibrating it just to get the picture to look right again. But it worked, and I saved myself a $500 repair fee.

However, after doing the research on the problem, I think I may have come up with a solution, one that might even help you with your mitsubishi. Ever thought of putting some little heatsinks and fans on the IC's? I don't mean some regular ol' heatsinks, but instead use some aftermarket ones for a PC. Many of them cool very very well. I know this from my overclocking hobby. If they can cool a CPU from a computer that is running 3.4Ghz (when it is only supposed to be running 1.8Ghz) then I think that they should have no problem at all cooling some IC chips. You could even put a little delay in line of the fan, to have the fans not come on till the chips had a chance to warm up. Then without all the heat, the chips couldn't die.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 09:15 AM
dead

i like the mitsubishis, but i would see if anyone had any LED DLP samsungs available first. probably too hard to find now.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 01:37 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
I did the exact same thing on my toshiba 42" (I was wrong earlier, it's not 46" it's 42 lol) but it took about 6 years for it's IC chips to go out. I had to do a whole bunch of research, and then I bought 2 new chips off the internet for around $27. I pulled the board and yanked the old ones, then soldered in the new ones. Then I spent about 2 hours calibrating it just to get the picture to look right again. But it worked, and I saved myself a $500 repair fee.

However, after doing the research on the problem, I think I may have come up with a solution, one that might even help you with your mitsubishi. Ever thought of putting some little heatsinks and fans on the IC's? I don't mean some regular ol' heatsinks, but instead use some aftermarket ones for a PC. Many of them cool very very well. I know this from my overclocking hobby. If they can cool a CPU from a computer that is running 3.4Ghz (when it is only supposed to be running 1.8Ghz) then I think that they should have no problem at all cooling some IC chips. You could even put a little delay in line of the fan, to have the fans not come on till the chips had a chance to warm up. Then without all the heat, the chips couldn't die.
Yeah I replaced them with some all copper huge sinks and 80mm fans on each of the two IC's, it would heat my whole room up. It never helped.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
Yeah I replaced them with some all copper huge sinks and 80mm fans on each of the two IC's, it would heat my whole room up. It never helped.
It would heat your whole room up after you put some heatsinks and fans on? Wow. I guess if you had a bunch of money just to throw around, you could always put a PC watercooling setup on em. Course it would probly make a lot more sense to just get some other kind of TV lol.

About the Samsungs though: I have looked into them as well, as I prefer samsung cause the picture typically looks better. But they are out of the DLP game for now, and I had also heard that they don't look quite as good as the latest and greatest from mitsubishi. The only thing that scares me off of the mitsubishi is well, the fact that it's a mitsubishi. If their TV's are anything like their cars, it probly won't be long till it needs service. But I fully intend to buy the maximum warranty extension.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
It would heat your whole room up after you put some heatsinks and fans on? Wow. I guess if you had a bunch of money just to throw around, you could always put a PC watercooling setup on em. Course it would probly make a lot more sense to just get some other kind of TV lol.

About the Samsungs though: I have looked into them as well, as I prefer samsung cause the picture typically looks better. But they are out of the DLP game for now, and I had also heard that they don't look quite as good as the latest and greatest from mitsubishi. The only thing that scares me off of the mitsubishi is well, the fact that it's a mitsubishi. If their TV's are anything like their cars, it probly won't be long till it needs service. But I fully intend to buy the maximum warranty extension.

I haven't had a single problem with mine. I bought the 65" Diamond though, because the picture was so much more crisp than the 73" you are speaking of. Had it almost a year now. I've also heard nothing but bad about the Samsung DLPs. I'm a huge Samsung supporter when it comes to flat panels, but I had to stray to Mitsu for the DLP. Mitsu has ruled the large tv market for decades now.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm Yer Huckleberry

I've had my Samsung 67" LED DLP for a year. Not a single problem with it and it gets used a lot between me and my roommate. It had a very sharp and bright picture.

2008 GMC Sierra 1500
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2009 HD Street Glide
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:08 PM

ok, so is the Mistu 737 series THAT much better than the C9?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Time Served

I have the Diamond 73" that is about a year old. I really like it. I also have a regular mitsu 65" that is about 3 years old. Cant go wrong with either one.

Titan Pro-4X
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandkid View Post
ok, so is the Mistu 737 series THAT much better than the C9?
I think what you want to go with is the newer 837 series. It's not all that much more expensive, and that one probly would be a big improvement over the C9's. Being 2 generations ahead and all. Since I am having to save up for this, I may just end up getting whatever the 2010 version is going to be, that's not out yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odenspike View Post
I have the Diamond 73" that is about a year old. I really like it. I also have a regular mitsu 65" that is about 3 years old. Cant go wrong with either one.
I could be mistaken on this, but I don't think they actually use the "Diamond" name/logo anymore. If you go to their website, they just call their latest and greatest 73 inch TV the "73877", while they sell a smaller 65" in a different category that they still call the "Diamond." Just something I noticed that was kinda confusing.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 08:13 PM
Time Served

I have the 73" diamond. I thinks its the 73835 model. I absolutely LOVE it. Anything non HD sucks sooo bad but blu rays and hd football games are amazing. You will find most other Tvs are too small or have poor clarity after owning one of these for a while. I wish I had the 82" now lol. I gotta have the biggest because I have to compensate for my tiny....
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Lifer

First bad review... my father in law has the 73" mitsu (last years model I believe) and that thing has been nothing but trouble. I've had to replace two bulbs already and now (just last week) the "blinking green light of death" faulty DM module" showed up.

http://www.highdefforum.com/archive/t-58189.html

Now they're just out of warranty and it's 600.00 bucks to fix.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv View Post
Mistu has always been the king when it comes to DLP. Heck, do they even make flat panels?
They make the biggest 1080p screen in the world and it's less than a foot thick.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Canada is welcome here.

One thing's for sure, I'll definitely be buying that $250 5 year in-home warranty, that all these big ass TV's have the option of. It's well worth it if you get a lemon. If they have to send someone out even one time (to fix bulbs or IC chips or something) then you basically got your $250 back and saved another $250. I have a little experience with having DLP's repaired and the general rule of thumb is that you're going to be paying $500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement