Help with my 40" Samsung LCD - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Help with my 40" Samsung LCD

I bought a 40" Samsung LCD for my bedroom and probably have something like 15hrs on it over the past 1.5yrs. About 4 months ago, it began to make a "click, click" sound before it powered on (making the "bing bing" sound that Samsungs do).

Each time I turned it on, it would take longer and make the clicking sound. Went from taking 2-3 seconds to power up, to almost a minute right now.

I heard that it has something to do with a capacitor on the power supply, but was wondering if anyone here had any experiences with this issue. I'd like to get it fixed before it completely stops working and/or causes other problems.

Anyone know how to fix this??

Thanks in advance.

- BigJason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 09:08 AM
you stinky bitch

There is a service center that does samsung warranty repair that is VERY close to you. If I am not mistaken it is a few miles up 2499 from the mall. They may be able to help you even if it is out or warranty. I tried to google it but can not find it. You may call samsung and ask.

Best something in Texas.... just don't know what it is yet....
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Thanks for the heads-up. I know that there is a huge Best Buy repair/returns center right where you're describing, so that's probably it.

Someone said that it's just a matter of replacing the bad capacitors...problem for me is that I'm far from an electrician and don't have a steady enough hand to be soldering components that small.

Thanks again.

- Jason

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Professional Driver

There is a problem with Samsung power supplies and leaky capacitors. Depending on the model, there are 2 or 4 caps that need to be changed - when we do it we put a slightly larger size in to prevent it from reoccurring. I have done probably 20 units this year with that problem, Unit will take longer and longer to come on and eventually it will stop coming on altogether.

When these units are under factory warranty they make us replace the entire power module and we are able to keep the old board. I have a handful of boards that we have been repairing and using on non-warranty units. Saves time when in-home.

You can call 1-800-SAMSUNG to locate their nearest authorized service center and they should know about this problem as it has become fairly common. Or, if you feel like driving, my shop is in Abilene.

BTW, electricians deal with wiring a house; electronics technicians repair electronics.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
There is a problem with Samsung power supplies and leaky capacitors. Depending on the model, there are 2 or 4 caps that need to be changed - when we do it we put a slightly larger size in to prevent it from reoccurring. I have done probably 20 units this year with that problem, Unit will take longer and longer to come on and eventually it will stop coming on altogether.

When these units are under factory warranty they make us replace the entire power module and we are able to keep the old board. I have a handful of boards that we have been repairing and using on non-warranty units. Saves time when in-home.

You can call 1-800-SAMSUNG to locate their nearest authorized service center and they should know about this problem as it has become fairly common. Or, if you feel like driving, my shop is in Abilene.

BTW, electricians deal with wiring a house; electronics technicians repair electronics.

Thanks very much for the response! PM Sent.

- BigJason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement