Buying speakers off of ebay? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Buying speakers off of ebay?

We've been looking at getting some nicer speakers for a while. I found a company selling some def techs for a couple hundred less than any other place Iv found. Is there any way to tell if there legit or not? Big purchases on ebay where there too far to go look at them first makes me nervous. Seems like I remember hearing that Definitive Technology speakers are some of the most counterfeited speakers on the market. I even found a guy on ebay selling just the empty speaker boxes.
The store that I was looking at had 2000+ good reviews so Im thinking that if they sell fake crap they'd have a bunch of negative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 02:34 PM
you stinky bitch

I just bought a pair of Klipsch towers and a Klipsch center channel on ebay for WAY cheaper than anywhere else I have found and they came brand new in the box as advertised and even came with an extended warranty good for 4 more years after the Mfg. warranty. I also just bought a 55" sammy LED tv on ebay for $1140 cheaper than retail. I bought the wall mount for it as well for $109 and retail on it is $250.

I only go to retail stores to shop for what I want to buy online at an adverage savings of 30-50%.

As far as them being fakes, you cant tell for sure. But read their feedbacks thoroughly. I read all negatives before I buy anything. You can tell what they are up to by doing this. I will not spend any real amount of $$$ with anyone with very few feedbacks. Also keep in mind that these people with TONS of feedback are going to have a few bad ones. With shipping company's and the volume they do sometimes things get fucked up inadvertently.

Best something in Texas.... just don't know what it is yet....

Last edited by inline 6; 11-17-2009 at 05:20 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Lifer

I will never buy electronics from Ebay. Last time I did I bought a Alpine car stereo that was supposed to be new in the box. Got it and it was in fact, in the box. Hooked it up and half the display didnt work. Contacted the seller and they were no help telling me they didnt have a exchange policy and to contact Alpine. Alpine said they never heard of the seller and it was a big mess. Seller had great feedback too so I dunno.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
I will never buy electronics from Ebay. Last time I did I bought a Alpine car stereo that was supposed to be new in the box. Got it and it was in fact, in the box. Hooked it up and half the display didnt work. Contacted the seller and they were no help telling me they didnt have a exchange policy and to contact Alpine. Alpine said they never heard of the seller and it was a big mess. Seller had great feedback too so I dunno.
When shit like that happens you use paypal to file a claim. Problem solved.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 06:14 PM
you stinky bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxerbrett View Post
When shit like that happens you use paypal to file a claim. Problem solved.
The popular thing these days seems to be to buy something, get it, and then call your CC and file a charge-back with some lame excuse. I sold half a dozen cell phones on there about a month ago and 3 people tried this shit on me. If I am not mistaken they all got away with it. Paypal put a hold on my account for that amount of $$$ but it was not there, it just took my account in the red. (#1 rule of paypal, never leave $$$ just sitting in your account) I was covered since I sent the phones to confirmed addresses and they lifted the hold but it took over a month and paypal ate the loss.

Best something in Texas.... just don't know what it is yet....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 07:05 AM
Banned

I don't know about home audio, but a while back I was scouring ebay for car speakers and found some bulk (buy it now) auctions for some infinity kappa's that would fit my mustang and got them for about a 1/3 of what they cost in stores. I think I spent around $300-$350 for all six speakers and they were legit. Best sounding speakers I've heard in a car, especially considering it was only powered by the in unit amp in my alpine head unit. That was a while back though, and the scams are more and more popular these days.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 08:10 AM
dead

ebay is fine. get insurance and shipping, use paypal and verified address only.

also, check out audiogon.com for home audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement