HD Cable Box and PS3 - want surround sound, which one? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

HD Cable Box and PS3 - want surround sound, which one?

I went and looked at surround sound/home theater systems 'in a box' at Best Buy today.

I've got a 58" Samsung Plasma, Sony PS3, and a Motorola DCH6416 for my time warner HD cable.

I want a decent Home Theater system with wireless rear speakers that does NOT require me to switch wires when I want to use a different device. 1000 Watts, nothing fancy.

There was a Samsung HT-Z420 at Best Buy, open box, cheap...but it didn't have enough ports to hook everything up together.

I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to these systems. let me know if you know of any decent deals right now that would do what I need.

I'd also be willing to piece it together if the price was decent.

Thanks,
SQ

Semper Paratus - Proudly serving in the USCG
----------------------------------------------------------
1991 LX Coupe 5.0 - Bimini on Black - Mostly stock Weekend driver
1985 LX Coupe 5.0 - Still in pieces
2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium - Wife's Ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Time Served

Get a later model Onkyo 600 series. The 607 is the newest... there's a decent deal on a refurb on shop onkyo right now.

http://shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?prod...il=1&ext_war=1

You could also find a 605 or 606 on craigslist or ebay. They are the older models but I don't think they have changed that much other than adding more hdmi inputs.

Here is a 606 on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Onkyo-TX-SR606-H...item1e58fd4874

The 606 has 4 HDMI in and 1 out. Make sure whatever you buy it is not just HDMI passthrough, which means you would have to run an HDMI cable for video and another cable for audio (optical/digital coax/rca).

The 605- 607 series also upconvert analog inputs to HDMI which means you plug everything into the receiver, analog and digital inputs, and then just run ONE single HDMI to your tv.

Spend the rest of your budgest on speakers. A receiver with enough HDMI inputs and HDMI upconversion should be your highest priority.

I've never used wireless speakers before but I imagine you can buy sets that will work with any receiver.

I've owned a handful of onkyo receivers and have been happy with them all. They are a great bang for the buck receiver, you are going to have a hard time finding another one with as many features at their price points.

I haven't shopped for receivers for a couple of years so see if anyone else chimes in with similar models from other manufactures.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Old School

Check out Vann's. Pay no tax and in most cases, free shipping.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/ca...eater-systems/

I got the HT-S9100THX and have been quite happy with it. 849 when you "put it in the basket" The HTS6200 is a great option if you youre for something a little less. Those esentially have the 606 reciever mentioned above but give it a different number so it doesnt mess with the sales of the 606 by it self.

Trevor
White 93 Hatch with some stuff done to it. whistles innocently

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 06:48 AM
LUCIFER

I've got the Samsung HT-TZ522T (5.1 Ch Wireless, 5 DVD) 1200W and it's been awesome. I love the wireless speakers, I never have to mess with them since my intial setup. For my theater room I have a 50" Plasma, Wii, PS3, & HD Dish Network Box all hooked up for surround sound.
I bought mine from Bestbuy, spent less than $400

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Lifer

Do not buy a HTIB. most times if one component goes bad you cant upgrade. Get a good reciver and spend the rest on speakers. Here is a good set of budget starter speakers with good reviews.

http://www.yambekaaudio.com/
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Lifer

Also check craigslist and some nicer pawn shops for good deals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement