Mach 460 replacement - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Mach 460 replacement

Ok, so my factory head unit finally crapped out in my 02 GT and I can't get the last cd out of it (at least it's a burned copy and not an original). Because of this, I'm ready to start compiling parts to replace the entire system.

At the moment, I have my eyes on this headunit.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=CDA-9886

The question is what is recommended to go along with that headunit (or can anyone recommend a better HU). I'm willing/wanting to ditch the entire system for higher quality/better sounding aftermarket pieces, but don't know where to start.

I don't care about earth shaking bass or being the loudest system out, I just want it to sound good in the car.

So, I know I want to put probably a single 10" in the trunk, but I don't know what amps to consider or what speakers to use to replace the tweeters and factory subs in the doors and the package shelf.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 02:25 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

9886 is a good deck. There are 5x7 components available or you could do 6.5" components front and 5x7 coax rear. Alpine PDX-5 is a great, small amp that can run an entire system including sub.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Yeah, I was thinking about using Alpine Type-R 6.5" components in the front, but hadn't taken much consideration for the rear yet. I had the 6.5" Type-R components in my old V6 running off only the Pioneer head unit I had and thought they sounded pretty good.

Do you have any somewhat specific recommendations for a sub to mate up with the PDX-5 amp? I want the bass to be more tight instead of booming, which was pushing me more toward a single 10".

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 10:19 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

I would probably do a JL Audio 12W0v2.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

I ordered the 9886 on Friday and it should be here Wednesday. In the meantime I am trying to familiarize myself with the unit a bit so that I know I have it installed correctly. That brings me to a quick question.

The manual states to "Secure the ground lead of the unit to a clean metal spot using a screw already attached to the vehicle's chassis." When I first read this I took it as grounding the unit's case to the chassis, but the more I read it, it appears it is referring to the installation in a vehicle where all new wires are run (100% custom install).

Just to make sure I have it right, the ground through the factory harness is enough for this unit correct? Would it hurt anything to run a ground wire from the radio chassis to the car chassis, or is it overkill?

Looking at the connections diagram that is included with the manual, the only ground I see is the one in the radio harness that would be connected though the vehicle harness. With that info, I am assuming that this is all that would be needed.

Can anyone clarify this so I know I am going about it correctly?

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Ignore the previous...I got it all working. Still messing with the HPF, Bass Center Frequency, and Bass Bandwidth. I'll only have to deal with this setup until the first of the year. I should be able to replace the speakers by then, but without the amp. Having to do projects in stages really sucks.

Last edited by HOOCBB; 11-05-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement