HD Radio? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Num say'n? (tm)

HD Radio?

I'm fixin' to swap out the radio in my commuter car. I've never listened to HD radio and thinking about getting a receiver that picks it up.

Is HD radio worth messing with?

How's the content?

How's the signal strength (how far can you get from DFW and still get a reliable signal)?

DFWMustangs.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 01:53 PM
yes, jluv

I don't really listen to the extra content, because I have Sirius as well. The digital signal comes in and out, just depending on where you are. When it is digital, it sounds fine, but it's far from CD quality.

I wouldn't spend much extra to have it (again), and I wouldn't let it be a deciding factor in my choice of head units. Even though satellite radio has a monthly fee, it's a lot better.

If you don't go in expecting much, you'll be fine. You might find extra content that you really like. When it first came out, I really thought the sound was going to be amazingly better, but it's nothing special.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Num say'n? (tm)

That's kind of what I was expecting. Nice if its already there but not worth blowing extra money on. I'll probably just get another Sirius unit. It costs money but you get what you pay for.

DFWMustangs.net

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 11:03 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

For content, satellite radio is the only way to go. HD Radio does sound better than AM/FM but the broadcast area is smaller than AM/FM. I like that the ticket broadcasts on 99.5 HD2 because it sounds great 24/7 unlike their AM signal. The additional channels are nice but I have not found one that I would choose over satellite radio choices.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Lifer

A few months ago I replaced the factory Ford stereo in my work truck with a cd/mp3/wma stereo made by a company called DUAL. It was cheap enough...Amazon.com with shipping for about $130 bucks. It is a single din AM/FM HD tuner with mp3/wma playback, has a USB port, pre-outs, 50x4 power, wireless remote, front panel AUX in (I use it with a sirius tuner and a laptop), and also has bluetooth to connect to a phone/ipod. I got it because it was cheap and I really didn't expect it to be all that but better than a stock ford am/fm radio. I liked it so much I bought another to install in my personal truck (replacing a nice Alpine MP3/WMA receiver). The HD tuner isn't perfect...but it does sound MUCH better than regular FM when its digital. I used it in Dallas and found it hangs on to stations much further away in digital than the analog tuner does (and sounds great when doing so). I'm probably going to buy another one for my Trans Am pretty soon (and get rid of the Alpine I have in it).

FUCK Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement