AV Receiver - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

AV Receiver

I'm currently in the market for an AV receiver. I have a few needs. It needs two zones or AB speaker selection because I'm using this as my home entertainment system and it's going to power my patio speakers. Next it needs to be at least 5.1 because that's the setup I'm going with. One last thing is I want at least 4 hdmi inputs. I've been looking at this model pioneer VSX-1019 AH-K let me know if it's a good deal. Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 07:12 AM
Lifer

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Time Served

you need do some research about that onkyo before you buy it if you want a/b speakers.

I have the 705 and it has zone 2 which is very different than a/b. Zone 2 won't play ANY audio from a digital source, only from analog, which is nothing for me. Zone 2 will, however, let you play a different source on each zone. So like TV inside and dvd audio outside, but again it will only play an analog source on zone 2. If it plugs in using hdmi or optical you can't use it outside.

A/B will only let you play audio one source at a time but it will output the audio to both sets of speakers.

I believe the 607 works like this too.

'01 Bullitt #0054

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Lifer

Onkyo 806 here and I love it. I dont use multiple zones though so I have no idea on that. It will do 7.1 audio though and has plenty of output.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 05:47 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt54 View Post
you need do some research about that onkyo before you buy it if you want a/b speakers.

I have the 705 and it has zone 2 which is very different than a/b. Zone 2 won't play ANY audio from a digital source, only from analog, which is nothing for me. Zone 2 will, however, let you play a different source on each zone. So like TV inside and dvd audio outside, but again it will only play an analog source on zone 2. If it plugs in using hdmi or optical you can't use it outside.

A/B will only let you play audio one source at a time but it will output the audio to both sets of speakers.

I believe the 607 works like this too.
The Onkyo in my main living room is like that. I'm not sure of the model number (I'm at work right now). It won't output any of the digital sources to the "B" speakers. However, it is labeled A/B and doesn't say anything about Zone 2. I was kinda bummed when I first realized it worked this way. Now, if mine is like yours, how would I select and control the source is played on the main "A" speakers while also selecting and controlling the source for the "B" speakers simultaneously?

To the OP, just do a ton of reasearch. I have three different Onkyo HTIB setups in my home, and I like them. They aren't really fancy compared to a lot of stuff out there, but they were reasonably priced (each was under $1000) and they suit my needs. A lot of the features were over my head when I made my purchases, and some still are. There are things I wish mine could do, and other things that they probably can do that I am not aware of.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Lifer

I recommend Onkyo. I switched to Onkyo from Sony & JVC and have been very happy since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv View Post
The Onkyo in my main living room is like that. I'm not sure of the model number (I'm at work right now). It won't output any of the digital sources to the "B" speakers. However, it is labeled A/B and doesn't say anything about Zone 2. I was kinda bummed when I first realized it worked this way. Now, if mine is like yours, how would I select and control the source is played on the main "A" speakers while also selecting and controlling the source for the "B" speakers simultaneously?

To the OP, just do a ton of reasearch. I have three different Onkyo HTIB setups in my home, and I like them. They aren't really fancy compared to a lot of stuff out there, but they were reasonably priced (each was under $1000) and they suit my needs. A lot of the features were over my head when I made my purchases, and some still are. There are things I wish mine could do, and other things that they probably can do that I am not aware of.
On the 705 for your "B" set there is a button in the bottom left that says Zone 2, if i press that it will toggle through all the inputs. There are also Zone 2 level buttons for controlling the volume and an off button.

The "A" set of speakers are just controlled like usual.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 11:58 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt54 View Post
On the 705 for your "B" set there is a button in the bottom left that says Zone 2, if i press that it will toggle through all the inputs. There are also Zone 2 level buttons for controlling the volume and an off button.

The "A" set of speakers are just controlled like usual.
Ah, okay. Mine doesn't have a zone 2 button.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Time Served

Onkyo is the only way to go. Have had the system for 18yrs. would never switch to anything else..
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 01:39 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcylvr View Post
Onkyo is the only way to go. Have had the system for 18yrs. would never switch to anything else..
I have had several as well, and grew up with them; however I prefer Denon, as do most of the professional A/V companies out there....
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
I have had several as well, and grew up with them; however I prefer Denon, as do most of the professional A/V companies out there....
Denon is nice but unless you are a hardcore audiphile I wouldnt go with a Denon, or at least that is what I have been told. They are great and some people say better than anyone but they are very hard to use and setup. I was considering a Denon for my home theater and after being told the same thing over and over by many Denon owners I finally went with Onkyo.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Lifer

I bought a Yamaha HTR-5960 a few years ago and I've been vey pleased with it. The sound is very clear and it also has the automatic speaker setup. I got it for $380.

Review:
"Great A/V amp for most people"

by boatman99 on March 5, 2007

Pros: Great sound, great remote

Cons: Fair manual and support

Summary: I replaced my old Denon with this unit and am blown away buy the sound. The functionality is great and the remote is the most intuitive I?ve seen. The mic based set up seems to take a lot of the issues off the table. The manual, while better than the Denon I replaced, is still reminiscent of the documentation we got with PCs in the 70?s. Unless you are a stereo hobbyist, there are many gaps in the ?why? and ?what? that make this a challenge for most of us to get to know this unit. I don?t think that this issue is unique in any way to Yamaha. One issue has been the component connection to the monitor. The issue appears to be that the On Screen Display (OSD) is transmitted at low resolution which seems to conflict with the component connections of my HDTV. I?m trying to correspond with Yamaha, but they only have email support which makes it more difficult. I contrast that with my Samsung TV helpline which had me on the phone with a technician in about 3 minutes. I am sure this will be resolved and it is surely not a show stopper to anyone considering this unit. I think this is an outstanding choice for many people.

Last edited by line-em-up; 09-26-2009 at 01:58 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 01:50 PM
you stinky bitch

I have a Harmon Kardon that I am pretty happy with.

Best something in Texas.... just don't know what it is yet....
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 01:51 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
Denon is nice but unless you are a hardcore audiphile I wouldnt go with a Denon, or at least that is what I have been told. They are great and some people say better than anyone but they are very hard to use and setup. I was considering a Denon for my home theater and after being told the same thing over and over by many Denon owners I finally went with Onkyo.

I guess having setup several dozen of them, I am used to it now; but would have to agree with you that for the first timer they are kinda hard to setup. But when it comes to quality and performance they are very hard to beat. They are a little pricier but you get what you pay for. I have had denon, onkyo, sony, yamaha, marantz, and even a bose; and can tell you the denon is the best all around out of those.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Time Served

I have an integra which is onkyo's higher end line in living room and denon in my bedroom. I like the denon better.

Titan Pro-4X
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I was aldo thinking about getting a denon to match my DVD player. Can you recommend me a model that meets my criteria?

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Lifer

checkout www.audiogon.com they have some sweet deals on AV equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement