04 Cobra system recs - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

04 Cobra system recs

The system in the car is stock but i want to upgrade it for less than $1500. Looking to add sub and amp(s). May add better components as well. Looks like the indash will be most expensive. I will be bypassing the mach system and doing the install myself. I sent EW a pm as well to see what he has for my car. I will probably get the sub and amps used. My car is a vert. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 08:08 PM
dead

i had an all alpine setup in my cobra cause i got employee pricing on all of it.

alpine HU cda-9835
6.5" alpine type r components (front)
no rear speakers
12" sub with custom ported box
alpine v12 2 channel amp and mono amp.

for the money i would have no problem repeating that same setup, in fact i kept most of the stuff and some made it to my boat.

if i did it again i might spend more and go mix in some JL gear instead of the type r stuff especially if i was buying used.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thanks for the reply. Why no rear speakers? I have found a 500/1 and a 300/4 JL amp here local for $400 for both. Prob gonna get those. Have to figure out what radio and sub configuration to go with. Also, i figure that i can change the speakers in the car for cheap...what size are they? Both 5x7 with 2" tweeters? Thanks again.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 06:40 AM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
Thanks for the reply. Why no rear speakers? I have found a 500/1 and a 300/4 JL amp here local for $400 for both. Prob gonna get those. Have to figure out what radio and sub configuration to go with. Also, i figure that i can change the speakers in the car for cheap...what size are they? Both 5x7 with 2" tweeters? Thanks again.
im sure some folks will disagree with me, but i think rears on a smaller coupes like a mustang are unnecessary. you are probably listening to 2 channel audio anyways and to me the rear speakers add distortion + muddle sound. plus it saves you money on speakers, amp, wiring and install. money you can use to better your front speakers or add sound dampening material.

if you got that jl 4 channel amp, you could bridge that for a ridiculous amount of headroom on your front speakers. you would have plenty of clean usable audio even with the top down.

the stock speakers are 5x7 or 6x8 or something but they will take a 6.5" speaker with an adapter plate so you can run traditional components.

the front mach 460 tweeter housing can be modified to fit a standard aftermarket tweeter and look stock.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 08:30 PM
yes, jluv

Good choice in amps with those JLs.

Don't cheap out on the head unit.

The rear speaker thing is debated everywhere. It's mostly a matter of your personal preference, and what your goals are with the setup.

SQ purists usually avoid them because they pull your sound stage back. For a realistic experience, the idea is that the sound should all come from in front of you, as if you were up close and center at a concert.

But, some people prefer to be enveloped in the sound, and four speakers will normally be louder than two, even with the power split up.

In a small cabin like the Mustang's, and assuming you don't have people in the rear seat often, you might get the best results by ditching the rears and putting that extra coin (and power) into a better component set up front, as mentioned. And sound deadening is a great idea, especially on the doors.

You can try going with a nice front set and leaving the rears stock, but if you do that, I would still amp them, or they won't hang with your fronts, and the overall sound will be degraded.

For bass, don't be afraid of it. It's a lot better to go too big and have to turn it down than to go too small and end up pushing everything as hard as you can trying to get a little more out of it.

Seriously though, since you probably have the money, consider cracking your wallet open a little further and do it right. I'm not saying it's necessary to go balls out with everything, but $1500 doesn't get you very far when it comes to building a decent system, and if you're going to do it at all...

If you double that budget, I doubt you'll ever regret it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I have the money but thats all i will have left after buying my new dirtbike. Promised my wife that i wouldnt spend more than $10k. I may just hold off until later and do it right.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 12:37 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
I have the money but thats all i will have left after buying my new dirtbike. Promised my wife that i wouldnt spend more than $10k. I may just hold off until later and do it right.
That's what I would do, just because you'll end up wanting to upgrade your upgrades shortly after, and that's a lot more work, and the resale value for used, budget car audio stuff is not typically good.

Ah hell, who am I kidding? That's not what I would do. I'd spend every dime of that dirtbike money on an insane system.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:18 AM
dead

i kinda think you can stay near budget. you are buying used and it seems like you're keen to finding deals.

you already found the amps for $400
figure $300ish for new headunit unless you want a double din screen.
front speakers $200-300
sub + box $500-600

the only thing you would go over on is speaker cables, rca cables, power wires, capacitor. as long as you dont have to have the BEST, you'll be fine.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Riding MX is much more important that music in my car! I will just start finding deals on nice stuff and store them away until I have everything.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 09:34 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion View Post
i kinda think you can stay near budget. you are buying used and it seems like you're keen to finding deals.

you already found the amps for $400
figure $300ish for new headunit unless you want a double din screen.
front speakers $200-300
sub + box $500-600

the only thing you would go over on is speaker cables, rca cables, power wires, capacitor. as long as you dont have to have the BEST, you'll be fine.
Don't waste any money on a capacitor. Wiring, connectors, fuse holders, etc adds up in a hurry. You'd be doing good to stay under $100 there.

I wouldn't buy used speakers of any kind, personally. I guess you can get a "decent" set of new components for $200-$300, though. It's all relative. I'd probably put that much into sound deadening alone.

Don't forget tax!

I still say that with something like car audio that you use on a regular basis, if you are willing to spend the money on better stuff, you'll usually not regret it.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I am fine with the stock system as it is now but would like a little more...not everyone shares the same passions about car audio as you jluv. I dont drive the car that much anyway. A little more bass and better mid-high will be fine with me. If I can accomplish this within my budget then I will.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 04:55 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
I am fine with the stock system as it is now but would like a little more...not everyone shares the same passions about car audio as you jluv. I dont drive the car that much anyway. A little more bass and better mid-high will be fine with me. If I can accomplish this within my budget then I will.
I hear ya. It sounds like you'll be able to get what you want under $1500. There are certainly a ton of options out there. I'm not sure what's best in your price range. The industry changes so fast. I've always been a fan of Alpine, JL, Boston, etc. You can usually get in on their entry level to mid level offerings, and find that sometimes they will use some of the same technology that they put in their flagship stuff.

How much room are you willing to give up in your trunk? A single Alpine Type R 12" would mate nicely with that 500/1. It could even push a 15" just fine, but that's going to take up a lot of room (and be pretty damn loud). Those subs are pretty cheap, readily available, have good build quality, sound good, take a lot of abuse, and will probably get as loud as you will want for what you're doing. From what I've seen, they do best in a ported box built to Alpine's specs or slightly larger.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

As long as my golf clubs fit I am fine on the trunk space. I am thinking about getting that sub along with JL separates for the front and keeping the rears with a little amperage. Do you guys know anything about the Valor 606w indash? I know it isnt the best, but seems to be decent for the price. So, the two amps, the JL components for the front (5 1/4" correct?) keeping the stock rears, the 12" sub with box, the indash and wiring should be near my budget.
I need a bracket for the front components? What about changing the stock mid/high on the door?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 09:14 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
As long as my golf clubs fit I am fine on the trunk space. I am thinking about getting that sub along with JL separates for the front and keeping the rears with a little amperage. Do you guys know anything about the Valor 606w indash? I know it isnt the best, but seems to be decent for the price. So, the two amps, the JL components for the front (5 1/4" correct?) keeping the stock rears, the 12" sub with box, the indash and wiring should be near my budget.
I need a bracket for the front components? What about changing the stock mid/high on the door?
Which JL separates are you going to put up front? I've owned several of their lines, and have been very happy with them.

Honestly, you might as well just go with a 5x7 (same as 6x8) and just drop them right in. Again, a purist will usually choose a round speaker because in theory, they produce more accurate sound. I'm not necessarily 100% convinced of that, and it's really subjective anyway, but I did switch to 6.5" components in my Ford. I would definitely choose either of those options over a 5 1/4". You will get more output and better midbass from the larger speaker. Some even believe that you get a little bit better midbass from a 5x7 for that same reason. If you decide to go with the round speaker, you can easily make an adapter plate/baffle out of MDF, sheet metal, or even abs plastic. Some speakers even come with these plates, like the Boston Pro 60s, for example (great speakers!). Some speakers give you the option of mounting them as coaxials (with the tweeter on the mid), which really makes things simple and should sound great. Some people prefer to mount their tweeters higher, and the Mach 460 makes it easy for you to do that since the stock tweeter location is in that pod by the A-pillar. I'm not sure what size the stock tweeter is, but you should be able to make the new one fit. If you have the patience, try it both ways. There are benefits to each location, and every vehicle/speaker reacts differently, and ultimately you get to decide what sounds best to you.

Man, I just realized that you said your car is a vert. I defintely think keeping and amping your rear speakers is a good decision. The extra volume will be nice when you're jammin' down the freeway with the top down. If they don't compliment the fronts well, you can always upgrade them later. To keep your stage forward, back down the gain some on the rear amp channels, or use the fader in your head unit.

Valor is a Chinese company that has only been making car audio stuff since 2003. It's cheap by design. I can't urge you enough to stay away from brands like Valor, Dual, Boss, Sony Xplod, etc. The head unit is where everything starts. If you put crap sound into your amps and new speakers, you'll just have louder crap. If you find a double din with built-in nav and a long list of features for a really cheap price, it's likely too good to be true. I checked out reviews for that head unit, and some of them are pretty scary.

With your budget, I'd choose a nice single din head unit and use an install kit to fill the gap. It can be done easily to look nice in your car. If you really want a double din, shop around, consider adding nav later, and/or go ahead and splurge to get a qualityy unit with everything. It's not hard to spend your entire budget here, which is why I suggested a good single din. If you ask me 100 times, I'll recommend an Alpine 100 times, although Kenwood, Pioneer (stay away from their really cheap stuff), Eclipse, and Clarion are all well respected brands for head units.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:
The system in the car is stock but i want to upgrade it for less than $1500. Looking to add sub and amp(s). May add better components as well. Looks like the indash will be most expensive. I will be bypassing the mach system and doing the install myself. I sent EW a pm as well to see what he has for my car. I will probably get the sub and amps used. My car is a vert. Thanks.
wanna sell the mach stuff?

1995 Cobra

8.8 1/8th mile on stock motor (225k miles) w/exhaust 3.73's and drag radials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement