$99.00 bluray player at walmart - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Sonic Blue :O

$99.00 bluray player at walmart

Was at the store just now and picked up a magnavox bluray player for 98 bucks and an extra 5 bucks for 1 year warranty thought you guys should know.... Sorry if spelling errors posting from phone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 10:34 PM
On a downward spiral

Location: in the land of the crazy and the wicked; a place far far away from reality; in a distant galaxy with demonic beings, a place only known as: crooked I
I give you a week before you have to return it. Ive seen unloaders throw flat screens and electronics like nothing on the line. Nothing like hearing a big screen come slamming down on the line along with other items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
Hopefully this storm will blow idrivea4banger's sig the fuck away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
Someone who is able, needs to put the cock block on his ridiculous sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
and your sig causes distress in 74% of board members and 98% of migratory birds
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED32V
No, your sig sucks like a whitegirl trying to get a promotion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
my excuse is i dont give a fuck...
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 10:46 PM
still here

only BD profile 1.1 though and I didn't see anything about a internet connection. Insignia has a new player coming with profile 2.0 and wifi that I can get for $150.

'08 CSRT-4
'06 Yamaha FZ1

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:23 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89stangGT View Post
only BD profile 1.1 though and I didn't see anything about a internet connection. Insignia has a new player coming with profile 2.0 and wifi that I can get for $150.
im behind on technology....what can you do with wifi on a bluray player?

94 Triple black GT auto w/shift kit, 3:55 gears and pulleys
Trolls Needed
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
Was at the store just now and picked up a magnavox bluray player for 98 bucks and an extra 5 bucks for 1 year warranty thought you guys should know.... Sorry if spelling errors posting from phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivea4banger View Post
I give you a week before you have to return it. Ive seen unloaders throw flat screens and electronics like nothing on the line. Nothing like hearing a big screen come slamming down on the line along with other items.
We saw them about a month ago for that price and bought on for my father in law for his 50th birthday, and one for ourselves. They still work perfect, and for 100 bucks, that's a steal.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKGT View Post
im behind on technology....what can you do with wifi on a bluray player?

X2, your answer might get me interested in this flying blueray player
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Lifer

i've never used any feature requiring the updates or internet on my blu-ray player... the extras aren't that fun/useful... i watch the movie in a better resolution, that's it...

the $99 will be a perfect unit for the bedroom as it'll be a casual player and for watching the movie, not playing harry potter games online with some douche in who-knows-where

Every event is inevitable - if it wasn't, it wouldn't happen.

DFW Charity Racing
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Lifer

Blu-ray is still a new technology and as such manufacturers are constantly upgrading the firmware of the products. These updates include fixes to correct issues with playing blu-ray disks, software updates to correct problems with player functions, audio problems, video problems, lip sync issues, new formats, etc. With the Magnavox there is no NIC card or WiFi to update the firmware. Some older models you could burn the firmware update to a cd/dvd and update, but apparently there is no way to update the firmware period with the Magnavox player. So if you buy a BD with some annoying problems that should be fixed or won't play certain BD's, your out of luck on fixing it.

Many players now offer BDLive with 2.0 players, Netflix on demand, Amazon on demand, Cinema Now, Pandora, Picasso, network connectivity so you can stream audio/video from your pc etc, etc. Each manufacturer of the players offer a different combination of features. So you would also be missing out on any of these functions without an internet capable model.

Not to mention you won't have the inputs/outputs you may need to utilize lossless audio if your reciever doesn't have HDMI inputs. Most new 2nd tier BD models now offer 7.1 analog outputs to hookup to your older receivers that do not have HDMI inputs, which let you take advanatage of the new lossless audio BD's offer. Trust me, it's a big difference

For a bedroom or kid's room this model might be fine, but what's the point of a BD player on a small tv where you won't really notice the difference in picture or sound. The better pic and sound is the whole point of a BD player.

Another thing to think about is not all BD players upscale DVDs to 1080P the same. If DVDs are a concern, and your TV or receiver doesn't have a good upscaler, then you'll need a BD player with a good upscaler chip in it.

It really all boils down to what features you need or want because you're going to get what you pay for with a BD player.

Whippled '06 by Gearheads - 474rwhp 450rwtq @ 10psi and a few other Borla/Steeda/BMR/CHE/Tokico mods...

Gearheads Dyno Video

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Time Served

dfwstang memebers don't buy cheap blu-ray and they don't shop at walmart.

They have them custom made.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chritaka View Post
For a bedroom or kid's room this model might be fine, but what's the point of a BD player on a small tv where you won't really notice the difference in picture or sound. The better pic and sound is the whole point of a BD player.
uh... the fact that when we buy a new dvd, we buy the blu-ray, not the DVD... so if i want to play it in the other room, i need a player there...

DFW Charity Racing
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Blu-ray is still a new technology and as such manufacturers are constantly upgrading the firmware of the products. These updates include fixes to correct issues with playing blu-ray disks, software updates to correct problems with player functions, audio problems, video problems, lip sync issues, new formats, etc. With the Magnavox there is no NIC card or WiFi to update the firmware. Some older models you could burn the firmware update to a cd/dvd and update, but apparently there is no way to update the firmware period with the Magnavox player. So if you buy a BD with some annoying problems that should be fixed or won't play certain BD's, your out of luck on fixing it.

Many players now offer BDLive with 2.0 players, Netflix on demand, Amazon on demand, Cinema Now, Pandora, Picasso, network connectivity so you can stream audio/video from your pc etc, etc. Each manufacturer of the players offer a different combination of features. So you would also be missing out on any of these functions without an internet capable model.

Not to mention you won't have the inputs/outputs you may need to utilize lossless audio if your reciever doesn't have HDMI inputs. Most new 2nd tier BD models now offer 7.1 analog outputs to hookup to your older receivers that do not have HDMI inputs, which let you take advanatage of the new lossless audio BD's offer. Trust me, it's a big difference

Another thing to think about is not all BD players upscale DVDs to 1080P the same. If DVDs are a concern, and your TV or receiver doesn't have a good upscaler, then you'll need a BD player with a good upscaler chip in it.

It really all boils down to what features you need or want because you're going to get what you pay for with a BD player.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Turbobrooks

Location: You can call me Aaron Burr from the way I'm dropping Hamiltons
Lol do you really think anyone buying a $99 bluray player cares about lossless audio?

Quote:

Allen Werl Performance Racecraft Motorsports Inc.

Made possible by:
http://www.jamesbschassisservices.com
http://www.brooksracecraft.com
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Worship me

By this Christmas a $100 player will be commonplace. If not by this time next year for sure. Let's face it, Blu-ray sales aren't exactly setting the world on fire.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Captain Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
By this Christmas a $100 player will be commonplace. If not by this time next year for sure. Let's face it, Blu-ray sales aren't exactly setting the world on fire.
I refuse to pay $30+ for a blue ray dvd after investing $200+ in a player, when like you said this xmas or next they will be down to or below $100.Then maybe I will buy one. But I def wont be buying any Blue ray dvd's untill the price drops on those as well..

It's the soldier not the reporter who gives you the freedom of the press
It's the soldier not the poet who gives you the freedom of speech
It's the soldier not the campus organizer who allows you to demonstrate
It's the soldier who salutes the flag, serves the flag, whose coffin is draped with the flag that allows protesters to burn it
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_topher View Post
uh... the fact that when we buy a new dvd, we buy the blu-ray, not the DVD... so if i want to play it in the other room, i need a player there...
From the sounds of this thread, the people here aren't buying one for a secondary setup, but to simply get into the BD tech... This is why I provided the info. I did...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Lol do you really think anyone buying a $99 bluray player cares about lossless audio?
Considering 1080P output and Lossless audio are the two main advantages BDs provide over DVD, they should... I just don't think people should be running out buying BD players when they don't understand the advantages or have the system to take advantage of their benefits...it's a waste of money. They should wait until BDs and BD players go down and they have a theater system to take advantage of them...

Whippled '06 by Gearheads - 474rwhp 450rwtq @ 10psi and a few other Borla/Steeda/BMR/CHE/Tokico mods...

Gearheads Dyno Video

post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Lifer

Quote:

Considering 1080P output and Lossless audio are the two main advantages BDs provide over DVD, they should... I just don't think people should be running out buying BD players when they don't understand the advantages or have the system to take advantage of their benefits...it's a waste of money. They should wait until BDs and BD players go down and they have a theater system to take advantage of them...
I wrote this review of my cheap Wal-Mart Bluray player a year ago. This same player or a derivative of it is what's selling now for $98. https://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=366968

The player video and audio quality is excellent. It's a profile 1.1, but it plays everything just fine. I don't care about all the extra frills.

I have it plugged in via HDMI 1.3 to my Onkyo receiver (with built in DTS-MA & DoblyTrueHD decoders) and the PQ & HD audio is fantastic. I have made several Bluray movie reviews in the Movie forums.

These so-called cheap machines are made by Funai. Funai makes products for Insignia, Emerson, Sylvania, Magnavox, etc. Funai even makes high end DVD players for Denon.

What makes it cheap is simply because it's produced in high volume, it's not Profile 2.0, and it doesn't have multichannel analog out.

These are all great players. They do have slow loading times, but firmware updates improve this on some models. Don't let the price tag make you feel you are getting a piece of junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 11:28 PM
still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_topher View Post
i

the $99 will be a perfect unit for the bedroom as it'll be a casual player and for watching the movie, not playing harry potter games online with some douche in who-knows-where
that's actually what I was then thinking about picking one up for. if you have one for one room then you need it for each if you start buying blu-ray movies.

'08 CSRT-4
'06 Yamaha FZ1
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 11:30 PM
still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post

I see more blu-ray movies (new releases) sold at my store than dvd.

'08 CSRT-4
'06 Yamaha FZ1
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 11:31 PM
still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90dfw View Post
I refuse to pay $30+ for a blue ray dvd after investing $200+ in a player, when like you said this xmas or next they will be down to or below $100.Then maybe I will buy one. But I def wont be buying any Blue ray dvd's untill the price drops on those as well..

blu-ray movies are down to $10.

'08 CSRT-4
'06 Yamaha FZ1
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 11:37 PM
Mexican Crew

Smile

Quote:
Where?

Quote:
Check your self bro , you're not that cool.

post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Lifer

$10 for crappy old no-name movies... but decent non-new releases can be had for $15-20ish and new releases are usually $22-28 depending on how "special" the edition is...

movie trading company used BR FTW

DFW Charity Racing
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Lifer

Quote:
old releases, not new releases. they are still $30 at places like best buy.

Quote:
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 11:24 PM
IA2

Thats one of the problems with blu-ray - the movies are priced high, when for most people a dvd works just fine, especially in an upconverting player. There are very, very few, if any, movies that i'm willing to shell out $25-30 for. And I suppose that renting them costs more as well (?). I dunno since I haven't been renting any.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 11:25 PM
Googlist-Wikipedian

http://www.deepdiscount.com/Blu-ray_...3VVviewcat.htm

google for coupons.

2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl Premium

2006 Infiniti FX45 Liquid Platinum

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:42 AM
still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
old releases, not new releases. they are still $30 at places like best buy.
have you not noticed the helping of $12.99 bluray movies this week at best buy? (I am best buy) have yet to see a new $30 release. and bluray new releases are down to what dvd new releases were a couple years back.

'08 CSRT-4
'06 Yamaha FZ1
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 03:53 AM
Lifer

Quote:
have you not noticed the helping of $12.99 bluray movies this week at best buy? (I am best buy) have yet to see a new $30 release. and bluray new releases are down to what dvd new releases were a couple years back.
all new bluray releases are $24.99-$29.99 at the best buy in lewisville. i went there to get grand torino, but i said fuck it when i saw it was $30. the unborn was $29.99, which was another one on my list.

next time i'm there i'll take a picture for you of the entire aisle of new releases being $25-$30

if you found a store that sells them for $12 then grab them up. even wallyworld in lewisville is selling them for $24.99

Quote:
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Lifer

best buy has 60 new releases under $25 (including $24.99 lol) and 1000 blurays total under $25... (250 are under $15, including batman begins, T2, 21, american gangster, crank, star wars clone wars, dark city, fifth element, deathproof, and lots more)

the prices for disks are very reasonable...

and when new releases come out, check the ads, find the cheapest place (frys usually) and pricematch it to best buy... i always do... i was NOT hesitant to buy gran torino for $26ish brand new, knowing it costs nearly that to buy two tickets to the theater alone, plus we're getting a great movie

DFW Charity Racing
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Time Served

question about netflix and blu ray discs. how easy is it to get blu ray movies? i remember when HD DVD was still out and i had any HD DVD on my list, it would always say LONG WAIT. It was pretty fucking pointless to even try to get it in HD so i would just end up getting the movie on SD DVD. Is blu ray the same way?

2002 4.6L 5 spd. S281

So fast, I make speedy gonzales look like regular gonzales
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 06:33 PM
WTF is Zed?

Question

I cannot find these anymore... either online or in the store. Cheapest one they have is a Magnavox for $148. WTF?
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DRSS View Post
I cannot find these anymore... either online or in the store. Cheapest one they have is a Magnavox for $148. WTF?
Not $99 - but look at Woot today

Pioneer HD 1080p Blu-Ray Disc Player
$134.99
+ $5 shipping
Condition: New Product: 1 Pioneer BDP-121 Blu-Ray Player I Want One!

"Friends" help you move......."Real Friends" help you move bodies!

GIFSoup
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Worship me

I bet you will be able to buy a Blu Ray player for $75 this christmas
post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Lifer

yup, the movies are starting to finally come down in price. Gheeez took long enough.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 04:40 PM
DERP DERP DERP

Nemo, don't you already have a PS3?

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Licking the windows!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-BDP121-B...99&PID=1225267

Tigerdirect through eGay - Pioneer BluRay $99 free shipping.

"Friends" help you move......."Real Friends" help you move bodies!

GIFSoup
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 11:18 PM
still here

there's a $99 Blu-Ray player in next week's Best Buy ad. just a heads up. They also have a Insignia blu-ray player with wifi farely cheap now.

'08 CSRT-4
'06 Yamaha FZ1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement