Polk or Klipsh - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Polk or Klipsh

I'm setting up a home theatre with surround sound, etc. Struggling with the decision between brands for the towers, mid and sub. I have always been a Klipsch fan. I don't have lots of sound absorbing materials in the room (hardwoods, leather, etc.). Nothing has been installed yet. I bought the polk due to the smaller footprint and "softer" sound since I don't have carpet and other sound absorbing materials. I'd like some input from anyone with experience with these two brands. Sorry if I spell "Klipsch" incorrectly.

Last edited by FWT03Term; 07-27-2009 at 07:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 08:08 AM
dead

just go listen to what you like. those two brands have drastically different sounds.

typically polks are rich in mid range and lacking in high frequencies.
klipsch are very bright... too bright.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 08:30 AM
Lifer

Between the two I would recommend Polk. However, you should spend more time looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Lifer

How much you looking to spend? AV123.com has a sale on their X series lineup right now. 5.1 without the sub in Moho natural finish is like $1599. Thats what Im getting along with a HSU sub and Onkyo 906 reciever.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Lifer

Forget those 2, even though I would choose Polk..but Boston Acoustics rules them both

Red and White 98R1...Look now cause in a second I'm gonna pass you

You can pass me now, sold the bike =(
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Founding Member

I have some Klipsch reference 3 series speakers and like them very well. They go good with my Svs sub. Also have some old Cornwalls in my shop with 15" drivers.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 02:31 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

I've always found Klipsch to be the most accurate. Being "too bright" it something you can take care of with your equalizer, being too soft is something you can't take care of with your EQ - think of it that way.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 02:37 PM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing19 View Post
I have some Klipsch reference 3 series speakers and like them very well. They go good with my Svs sub. Also have some old Cornwalls in my shop with 15" drivers.
the reference series are fairly high end. they would have to be compared to the polk lsi series which is a nice speaker as well.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Censored

I only like silk dome tweeters, so its Polk for me. I used to work at Fry's in Home Audio, so I just sat there listening to there speakers. RTi12s is where its at! It is an old model and idk what the new one is.

Doors Done Rite
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thanks for all the opinions. I changed my order to Klipsch. If I were going with a higher end system then maybe it would be different. In the price range I am willing to pay for home theatre sound, I thought the Klipsch sounded best. I think I'll be pleased when it's all installed. Hell, this whole project began when my wife and I were watching a movie and had trouble hearing the dialog. Many K later, we better be able to hear it!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Lifer

I have some 20 year old Infinity Studio Monitor cabinet speakers for my mains that I just couldn't replace...they still sound amazing and blow away anything I try to compare them to. I just opted for a Klipsh Quintet III (I got a steal on them) a few years ago to fill in the surround and added their 650 watt 12" sub. I found the Klipsh to match my Infinity speakers fairly well and they were way more accurate than the other offerings in the $500 5.1 price range. To me they sounded better than JBL, Polk and Bose for compact satelites. Like it was said before, you can tone them down if they're too bright, but not the other way around. The sub is simply amazing...tight and accurate, but definitely rumbles the room....the house even if I crank it. I live on a 9800 sq ft lot and the first night I had it, before I tuned it to my system, the neighbors could feel the base...

As far as your center channel, try upping the db level via your reciever.

Whippled '06 by Gearheads - 474rwhp 450rwtq @ 10psi and a few other Borla/Steeda/BMR/CHE/Tokico mods...

Gearheads Dyno Video

Sponsored Links
Advertisement