Zune questions - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Zune questions

I have been looking into buying a new 32gb Ipod Touch, A friend of mine suggested I look into the Zune. I have always saw it as a ripoff of the Ipod. After looking at them for a little while I am intrigued. The best price I found on a new one is the 120gb at walmart for 238. I want it for movies and music. Is it as easy to put things on it as the touch is? What are the benefits beside price and size? Any input would be appreciated.

...I would also consider a used one if someone has a good one for sale.

Johnny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 04:46 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1999 View Post
I have been looking into buying a new 32gb Ipod Touch, A friend of mine suggested I look into the Zune. I have always saw it as a ripoff of the Ipod. After looking at them for a little while I am intrigued. The best price I found on a new one is the 120gb at walmart for 238. I want it for movies and music. Is it as easy to put things on it as the touch is? What are the benefits beside price and size? Any input would be appreciated.

...I would also consider a used one if someone has a good one for sale.

Johnny
I think they are pretty slick. The Zune app seems more lightweight then iTunes..etc Also, you can sync everything over wireless - which I'm told is not possible with the iPod. I think the Zune has an FM tuner too. Otherwise, they play files...

The iPod with have more accessories and such, but the Zune is no slouch. I would definetly do online research and such. The Zune should be a consideration in my opinion.

My '03 Sold.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Can you browse the web with it?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1999 View Post
Can you browse the web with it?
Hold out a little bit for this, I have two Zunes and love them both, but I'm getting this as soon as it drops.

http://www.zune.net/en-us/mp3players/zunehd/default.htm

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

I have a Zune and would probably buy an itouch. The Zune is nice, they had screens that cracked easily but its simple to replace the parts if needed. I got mine for free, so I cant complain. It works just fine as an mp3 player in the truck.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Banned

Zune or ipod...either one works. Whichever you get a better deal on should be the one you pick. You can't really compare an Ipod touch to a regular Zune though. The touch has more features and costs a lot more.

If you want it just to play music and movies either one is fine. People who already own an ipod will say ipod's are better, and people who already own a zune will say zune's are better. Neither one stands out from the other.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Zune > *

I've had 3 Zunes and haven't had a single issue with any of them. The battery life is way longer than any iPod I've ever had (I've had several, mostly because they couldn't work for longer than 6 months at a time), they're far more durable than any iPod I've ever had, the Zune interface is 18 times better than iTunes and you also won't look like a hipster douchebag while listening to it.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Rolling with the homies

I've had a couple of Zune's that I bought very cheap and really liked them. The interface was nice and I really only had two bad things to say about it. One was the computer interface wasn't really all that great compared to iTune's as far as being able to manipulate the music. The Windows software was very cumbersome and could have been designed better. The second (and this was the killer for me) was not being able to control a Zune from my car stereo. The iPod simply has the better market for these sorta things with car stereos being better designed to interface with them which is why I broke down and bought my first iPod.

Quality wise I think bought devices are nice and work equally well with similar build quality. The iPod gets the nod for better accessories but I think the Zune gets the nod for features. Sync over Wifi as well as having a built in radio are pretty nice. Plus the Zune has a subscription service called Zune Pass where $14.99 gets you unlimited music every month to listen to and you get to keep 10 songs. Apple can't touch that!

If you are willing to wait until September, Microsoft is coming out with what it calls the Zune HD which will be a direct competitor for the iTouch. It beats the iTouch screen wise with a gorgeous OLED screen and will also have HD Radio built in which promises excellent sound quality.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose View Post
One was the computer interface wasn't really all that great compared to iTune's as far as being able to manipulate the music.
Zune 1.0 and 2.0 were killer and exponentially better than iTunes, but I'm not sure what they were doing wtih 3.0. Regardless, I refuse to use either to play music; they're simply there to sync with my players.

One thing that Zune 3.0 has over every other media player out there is its metadata tagging. I just discovered it about a month ago and it's the best ID3 tagging setup out there, especially for people that aren't familiar with tagging music.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose View Post
I've had a couple of Zune's that I bought very cheap and really liked them. The interface was nice and I really only had two bad things to say about it. One was the computer interface wasn't really all that great compared to iTune's as far as being able to manipulate the music. The Windows software was very cumbersome and could have been designed better. The second (and this was the killer for me) was not being able to control a Zune from my car stereo. The iPod simply has the better market for these sorta things with car stereos being better designed to interface with them which is why I broke down and bought my first iPod.

Quality wise I think bought devices are nice and work equally well with similar build quality. The iPod gets the nod for better accessories but I think the Zune gets the nod for features. Sync over Wifi as well as having a built in radio are pretty nice. Plus the Zune has a subscription service called Zune Pass where $14.99 gets you unlimited music every month to listen to and you get to keep 10 songs. Apple can't touch that!

If you are willing to wait until September, Microsoft is coming out with what it calls the Zune HD which will be a direct competitor for the iTouch. It beats the iTouch screen wise with a gorgeous OLED screen and will also have HD Radio built in which promises excellent sound quality.

I bought a cheap $10 dock and car charger from Amazon and have my Zune hooked up in the truck. Also bought a remote that. Cant use steering wheel controls but you have a remote...close enough.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Lifer

Woot had an 80GB Zune a few days ago for $149, so keep your eye on that website.

I have 30GB Zune and love it, but once the Zune HD comes out, I will be buying that. The "supposed" release date is like September 8th.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement