new tv suggestions - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

new tv suggestions

So my 46" DLP died today. It's not just a bulb replacement so the repair will be more than it's worth. I'm not up to date on new tv technology, so I'm looking for help here. My requirements are pretty basic. HD, wide screen, 46" (or slightly larger), prefer 1080p (unless I get talked out of it) and ~$1k. This will be the main tv so it will be used a LOT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 04:10 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bard View Post
So my 46" DLP died today. It's not just a bulb replacement so the repair will be more than it's worth. I'm not up to date on new tv technology, so I'm looking for help here. My requirements are pretty basic. HD, wide screen, 46" (or slightly larger), prefer 1080p (unless I get talked out of it) and ~$1k. This will be the main tv so it will be used a LOT.
If you're not planning to watch Bluray movies, skip the 1080p IF it saves you a bunch of cash. Then again, it seems like 1080p is pretty standard now, and you could probably get a decent 1080p TV with everything you want for that price or less. Just saying, I love watching Blurays on my big 1080p DLP, but I also have two 720p plasmas and the picture is awesome when watching HD satellite programming.

But ya, Bluray and 1080p is phenomenal.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

720p is great for regular HD viewing as far as I can tell. But I know at some point I would upgrade to a 1080p DVD viewer so I figured I should get that capability now, no?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Lifer

You can find what you're wanting for what you're wanting to spend easily. Throw a rock in any direction and you'll find what you're looking for:

check out frys in the paper tomorrow (www.dallasnews.com and then where it says shop, type in frys for the interactive ads appearing in the paper tomorrow) or even https://frys-electronics-ads.com

costco

Those are some of the places with the best prices locally.

Here's some online:

www.techbargains.com
www.amazon.com
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 07:03 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
720p is great for regular HD viewing as far as I can tell. But I know at some point I would upgrade to a 1080p DVD viewer so I figured I should get that capability now, no?

Absolutely.

And like Grant said, you shouldn't have a problem finding what you want for a grand. If you can, go a little bigger. Size matters! And really, even a 50" is significantly larger than a 46".
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

My only concern going bigger is that non HD channels look worse and at some point the tv just seems to take over the room.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 09:58 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
My only concern going bigger is that non HD channels look worse and at some point the tv just seems to take over the room.
Non-HD channels? Yuck.

With Dish Network, I have a hard time finding anything I care to watch that isn't in HD.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Custom Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv View Post
Non-HD channels? Yuck.

With Dish Network, I have a hard time finding anything I care to watch that isn't in HD.
I'm the same way with DirecTv, I go to the HD Channel guide only, if it aint HD, I don't watch it.

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Boss

If size isn't what you are looking for, get the 40inch Sony V4100. Can grab it right now and get a free blu-ray player with it at Best Buy for $999. Cheapest way to get into a decent tv and start yer blu-ray collection.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 02:00 AM
Banned

My parents bought a 52" Samsung LCD that looks amazing. Ask KOZMO. He knows a lot about this shit.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 11:32 PM
Lifer

Crutchfield is or was running a special if you bought a new Samsung HDTV you got a free BD player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement