Home Theatre speaker system? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
KEK

Home Theatre speaker system?

So, I have searched this and the last thread I could find was nearly a year old. Anyhow, I have finally got me a place, a nice TV, and am now in the market for a nice speaker system.

Browsing through Best Buy's website, they have a wide variety of selections. Roughly most of them are in the 4-600$ range. When I get down to the Bose they're 2K-2800$ range. These are the 5.1 systems I am looking at BTW. So my question is what in the world makes Bose so much more expensive? Is the quality amazing enough to be roughly 4-6times MORE than the others? I know absolutely hardly anything about this stuff so I may deserve a little bashing. Just want to know the best bang for the buck home theatre system. TIA

03 Oxford White Cobra.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 06:28 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by f0ur sixer View Post
So, I have searched this and the last thread I could find was nearly a year old. Anyhow, I have finally got me a place, a nice TV, and am now in the market for a nice speaker system.

Browsing through Best Buy's website, they have a wide variety of selections. Roughly most of them are in the 4-600$ range. When I get down to the Bose they're 2K-2800$ range. These are the 5.1 systems I am looking at BTW. So my question is what in the world makes Bose so much more expensive? Is the quality amazing enough to be roughly 4-6times MORE than the others? I know absolutely hardly anything about this stuff so I may deserve a little bashing. Just want to know the best bang for the buck home theatre system. TIA
I would repost in the media room forum...
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Lifer

pioneer 1018 receiver, and level 3 speakers from these guys. It will blow any box system out of the water.

www.hometheaterdirect.com

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Lifer

This one is a pretty cool idea

http://www.home-technology-store.com...WHEN1-KIT.aspx

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
KEK

Ah yes wrong forum. Can we have this moved?

Anyways thanks for the links. The home theatre direct link is blocked for me, so I will have to wait to view that later at home. The WHEN kit is rediculous. Don't think I need anything that crazy. I do expect to spend a good amount of money, but not all of my savings.

Anymore thoughts before dipping into something? This weekend is when I will be purchasing.

03 Oxford White Cobra.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Turbobrooks

Location: You can call me Aaron Burr from the way I'm dropping Hamiltons
No highs, no lows, must be BOSE!

Allen Werl Performance Racecraft Motorsports Inc.

Made possible by:
http://www.jamesbschassisservices.com
http://www.brooksracecraft.com
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Turbobrooks

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Bose is JUNK!

Made possible by:
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
KEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Thanks! Another reason other than their price to steer clear of them. It's a little old of a post but I am sure not much has changed.

03 Oxford White Cobra.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 06:55 PM
dead

go listen.

frys carries harmon kardon, onkyo, yamaha, and denon receiver.

as far as speakers, buy used. as long as the speakers come from someone who didnt tear their stuff up you will be fine.

what's your budget btw?
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Lifer

go see this guy in fort worth..... www.toby.com

real cobras don't have fog lights
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
KEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion View Post
go listen.

frys carries harmon kardon, onkyo, yamaha, and denon receiver.

as far as speakers, buy used. as long as the speakers come from someone who didnt tear their stuff up you will be fine.

what's your budget btw?
I am in Tucson Arizona..we don't have Fry's Electronics here. This is basically Mexico. There are NO places around here that are legit unless I buy online or Best Buy (which has Bose plastered everywhere). If I were back in Dallas my resources are a little more available, but I'm not. That's why I turned here. I am willing to spend up to 2500 right now, and maybe more later down the road if I need more speakers, wires, mounting accessories etc.

03 Oxford White Cobra.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Turbobrooks

If you want to hear a GOOD home theater setup, go to this place:

Wilson Audio
5740 East Broadway,
Tucson,
Arizona 85711
Tel: (520) 745-0441

B&W dealer.

Made possible by:
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Iamwaxman!

Another vote for Home Theater Direct. I've bought my last 3 sets(5.1) of speakers there, and never a complaint here. Inexpensive, and good quality. Can't be beat for the money. But if you have the cash to spare, you can never go wrong with B&W.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Lifer

I may have a denon 3608 up for sale soon if you are interested...
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Chapman View Post
Another vote for Home Theater Direct. I've bought my last 3 sets(5.1) of speakers there, and never a complaint here. Inexpensive, and good quality. Can't be beat for the money. But if you have the cash to spare, you can never go wrong with B&W.
I have a B&W 5.1 system and love it! Another vote for B&W.

Never wrap it up, never pull out. Just grind up the morning after pill in her scrambled eggs at sunrise, she'll appreciate that you made her breakfast.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
price?........

real cobras don't have fog lights
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Gunga galunga

Allocate more of your budget to the speakers, and find a receiver that meets your needs.

Depending on your budget you may try http://www.aperionaudio.com/home.aspx or www.axiomaudio.com, they both are internet only but offer a 30 day in home audition, with free return shipping for aperion. I'm using axiom's and have really enjoyed them, especially for the $$.

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 09:02 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Bose is absolute shit.

I can speak from experience on Usher, PSB, JBL and B&W.

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Turbobrooks

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying that you absolutely have to buy B&W, only that if you went to a dealer that sold them you would have a chance to hear for yourself what high quality speakers sound like. I'm sure they sell other lines at different pricepoints to compare against as well.

Made possible by:
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Turbobrooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford View Post
Allocate more of your budget to the speakers, and find a receiver that meets your needs.
x2. I picked up a Denon 2808CI for cheap and it's done everything I need. It's HDMI 1.3 compatible and can decode any digital media format that I care about (even DSD for SACD!). Sure, your speakers won't sound as good as they could with higher powered amplification, but you'll be too happy to care until you become accustomed to high quality audio and want more!

Speakers last what, 20 years? Spend more on the speakers (and eventually amplifiers - though I have a 175W HK amp from 1994 that I got at a park cities garage sale, but its capable of high current and can drive low impedance so it works for me), they will outlast whatever receiver you get.

Made possible by:
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 09:55 AM
dead

if you are going to listen mainly to a lot of music (2 channel stereo), make sure you allocate the biggest chunk of change for your front left and right then the subwoofer. you wont need the best center ever, just one that matches (usually same brand, lower line model). you can skimp on the surrounds.

if you only care about home theater (movies and tv) you will want a better center channel speaker, you will want to match the front three for sure and will still need a good sub. you can still skimp on the surrounds to be honest.

if you love multichannel audio you will want a balanced set of speakers for sure. typically the same series of speaker all the way around.

chances are you want all of the above, so same brand, buy used and make your dollar go further. as a reference, almost every speaker's msrp other than these internet only retailers, is marked up 100%.
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 10:00 AM
dead

as far as receivers, your 'mainstream' choices are:

onkyo - feature packed, but power ratings are at 6ohms.

hk - very clean, a bit more $, a bit underpowered but their ratings are underrated fyi. great on screen display and setup

denon - probably about as good as it gets for quality and power, user operation is kinda

yamaha - good sound, terrible user interaction. their newest receivers released this year have taken a step back. all their amps have been sacrificied for more features.

pioneer elite - best looking unit, best looking interface and great sound. more money, but you can find deals online. i like the pioneer elite VSX-01TXH a lot for $500.

find specific models and read reviews.

oh and for the record, i highly endorse separate audio components over a receiver. HUGE sound difference between a mid end receiver and a mid end pre/pro + amp. problem is price. if you want something with HDMI, you will pay for it for sure. if you go used and get something without hdmi, it will be easily affordable and very high quality.

Last edited by momo stallion; 05-07-2009 at 10:27 AM.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 10:19 AM
dead

as far as speakers, there are so many, all have their target ears.

b&w speakers are great, if you can find a good set used go for it. b&w has some of the best mid bass and mid range i have heard. they are ear candy. i do think they could use a bit more in the higher frequencies. you might spend your whole budget on the speakers though.

I've only heard great reviews about the internet brands, just haven't ever heard them (htd, axiom, elemental designs). some of their cabinets look rather cheap to me (all rectangular build mdf with black veneer).

the commercial brands all have their ups and downs, and it really depends on what your ears like:

polk audio's new RTi-a series = great cabinets, good midrange, poor treble from their silk tweeter

klipsch - accurate midrange, horn tweeter is too bright, ear piercing even.

not sure what infinity even makes now, but they used to be a very accurate
speaker through the whole range. i think their recent products have taken a step back in materials recently.

bose - well. they make some sound anyways... i think everyone else covered them accurately.

Last edited by momo stallion; 05-07-2009 at 10:43 AM.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Turbobrooks

Check out www.audiogon.com for used deals if you wish to go that route and know what you want to buy.

Made possible by:
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
You need to make up your friggin mind. haha
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Time Served

(sony) i have had a few and they sound the best and last the longest
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 10:59 PM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbracing5 View Post
(sony) i have had a few and they sound the best and last the longest
sony receiver or speakers?

their ES series of components are always pretty good but i think you're way off here.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Lifer

Quote:
if you are going to listen mainly to a lot of music (2 channel stereo), make sure you allocate the biggest chunk of change for your front left and right then the subwoofer. you wont need the best center ever, just one that matches (usually same brand, lower line model). you can skimp on the surrounds.

if you only care about home theater (movies and tv) you will want a better center channel speaker, you will want to match the front three for sure and will still need a good sub. you can still skimp on the surrounds to be honest.

if you love multichannel audio you will want a balanced set of speakers for sure. typically the same series of speaker all the way around.

chances are you want all of the above, so same brand, buy used and make your dollar go further. as a reference, almost every speaker's msrp other than these internet only retailers, is marked up 100%.
x2 I'm running a Yamaha reciever with some 20 yr old Infinity Studio Monitor speakers (polycell tweat, 2x 4" mid, 15" sub in each cabinet) for my main L/R and Klipsch Quintet III surrounds w/650 watt 12" Klipsch sub. The Klipsch speakers match my Infinity's pretty well and the sub is awesome. It sounds great for my purposes. Best advice is to get a good set of speakers for your front mains and then go and listen to surrounds that closely match....or buy the same series/brand, but you don't have to spend a fortune to get a good sounding setup. You also need to decide if you need full range speakers for surrounds or if your mains fill the room enough with mids/lows, that you only need satelites. The Klipsch speakers are awesome for the price IMO if that's all you need.

Like everyone said, Bose are a joke. I also have a buddy at work that went with the Orb speakers for surrounds and he really loves them. http://www.orbaudio.com/

Whippled '06 by Gearheads - 474rwhp 450rwtq @ 10psi and a few other Borla/Steeda/BMR/CHE/Tokico mods...

Gearheads Dyno Video

post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Time Served

Quote:
sony receiver or speakers?

their ES series of components are always pretty good but i think you're way off here.
I have a complete Sony setup reciever and speakers I bought in 02' still sounds badass. My brother has a Bose that has blown two wolfers and the receiver has been repaired once. I just haven't heard any bad reviews from anyone that has used Sony systems. By the way why the fuck am I explaining to you I just gave an opinion. You are way off.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
You need to make up your friggin mind. haha
I like to switch stuff around alot.
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
I like to switch stuff around alot.
I'd love to pick it up for myself, but when you changed your mind I went out and bought an Onkyo 606.
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbracing5 View Post
I just haven't heard any bad reviews from anyone that has used Sony systems. You are way off.
I guess you don't listen much. I've never heard anything BUT bad about Sony receivers. Come to think of it, I've never heard a single good thing about them. So no, he's not way off. If you don't want to believe me, that's fine. Google reviews.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Lifer

Installed a sony receiver my parent's got suckered into buying. It is "OK" at best
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 10:48 AM
dead

ok, there is nothing wrong with sony and im not gonna talk shit about them but the OP has a $2500 budget he is willing to spend. most sony systems are typically for people who want to spend far less than that on a HTIB setup. they are perfect for most people who want to add surround sound to a tv, have good features, and inputs.

i dont want to go into many details but if you are buying right now, it would be in the buyers best interest to learn about wattage, thd, s/n ratio and a few other things.

this seems to get lost in a/v receivers with feature packing, but the most important thing for an audio amp should be the ability to process and amplify audio and to do it cleanly. on non-ES receivers, sony uses low current amplifiers which have a 1.0% or higher THD (total harmonic distortion) at their stated MAX wattage. this is not awesome. while they claim 100 watts, you will never reach it because it will distort. push it to far and you damage speakers.

most of the better high current amps have a max 0.1% THD and are rated at RMS wattage.

their small speakers are small and make noise, enough said.
their bigger bookshelf and tower speakers arent bad, they are decent drivers and decent cabinets.

just my opinion on sony's stuff. i would use a sony setup in my bedroom cause tv speakers suck and a sony htib would be 100x better, but since audio is a hobby of mine, it wouldnt wind up in my living room.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Lifer

$2500 I would get a denon receiver, nice set of on wall or in ceiling surround speakers, a nice powerred sub, good fronts and center and call it a day.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 03:08 PM
Lifer

Just realized I said a 3608; when in actuality I have a Denon AVR-3806 lol

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/623.asp#
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Founding Member

I get all my speakers from the guy in the white van.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 07:36 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing19 View Post
I get all my speakers from the guy in the white van.
down by the river???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement