projector screens - best deal? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

projector screens - best deal?

I have a 4:3 Da-lite screen I used with my LCD projector and now I want a motorized screen. Still prefer Da-lite high power fabric, anyone know where these can be purchased wholesale? My second choice would be the Optoma GrayWolf II motorized.

Any comments on these? Will be using an Optoma HD70 DLP projector and will be seated about 14 ft from the screen. Projector will be throwing a 96x54 image. Will be used only at night with little ambient.

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre
1996 Sea-doo Challenger jet boat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Lifer

Take a look at the monoprice.com electric screens. They work great and are very inexpensive.

generic signature
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Time Served

We are direct with Da-Lite and Draper. Shoot me a PM with the model you want and I can get you some pricing.

If you need help in picking model / screen surface I can help with that as well.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

sending PM now

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Iamwaxman!

No offense to monoprice, they always provide great deals, and I always buy my cords from them. But a screen is not a place to pick the cheapest product. That is probably the one thing I would pay extra for the quality. Screen makes the entire package. If your screen sucks, so does your picture.

Just my $0.02

Nick
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 06:01 PM
dead

da-lite is nice.

just dont get a high contrast or a grey screen. hate!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

can anyone use a motorized Draper Envoy? Its a 120" 4:3 format made for built in installation

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
just dont get a high contrast or a grey screen. hate!
Actually was going to go with their high power fabric. Is very reflective probably more so than their High Contrast or Video Spectra.

My second choice is the Optoma/Panoview GrayWolf II. So what didnt you like about their high contrast or gray screens material?

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 10:13 PM
We lost one.....

http://www.carada.com/

Ask them to send you a few samples and go from there.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Chapman View Post
No offense to monoprice, they always provide great deals, and I always buy my cords from them. But a screen is not a place to pick the cheapest product. That is probably the one thing I would pay extra for the quality. Screen makes the entire package. If your screen sucks, so does your picture.

Just my $0.02

Nick
My neighbor has one from monoprice and it replaced a Dalite Electrol (his kids ruined it) and the quality really is good. The lifting mechanism isn't quite as nice but it cost 9/10th less. He does have a CRT projector so anything it puts out looks incredible. The monoprice screen also works with his home automation.

generic signature
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 01:01 PM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyler View Post
Actually was going to go with their high power fabric. Is very reflective probably more so than their High Contrast or Video Spectra.

My second choice is the Optoma/Panoview GrayWolf II. So what didnt you like about their high contrast or gray screens material?
i have a graywolf ii i picked up from cc during their liquidation for cheap.
i dont like it at all. i think i liked the look projected against the bare wall better except the wall has texture otherwise id take the screen down.

the screen is at least made of good quality but the look is bad IMO.
i hate the sparkly glass bead stuff on the surface that's meant to boost the reflectivity of the screen. it stands out and its pretty distracting.

maybe its just me but it seems like the picture got darker even though the gain is supposed to be 1.8:1 because of the grey.

ill replace it with a plain white 1.3:1 fixed screen later on.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

The Da-lite Model C I used with a Boxlight LCD with a DVDO line doubler on it looked great. It is either a high power or high contrast fabric model. The fabric is smooth and heavy but is reflective almost like a very fine metallic, nearly pearlescent white paint (if you can imagine that).

Projector was ceiling mounted and I was very happy with it. Never had any hot spots or sparklies. That unit was only 6ft wide and I want to move up to an HD 16:9format.

One home theater enthusiast on AVS wrote a review on the high power. He must have a lot of time on his hands but he has played with all types of screens, some VERY expensive and the time of the review seemed to be sold on the high power fabric.

I would invite you to read this and some of the other reviews he has done. Its written for the general audience, not for the ultra-high tech crowd with light meters and such. The high power review is here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=773065

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 12:04 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyler View Post
The Da-lite Model C I used with a Boxlight LCD with a DVDO line doubler on it looked great. It is either a high power or high contrast fabric model. The fabric is smooth and heavy but is reflective almost like a very fine metallic, nearly pearlescent white paint (if you can imagine that).

Projector was ceiling mounted and I was very happy with it. Never had any hot spots or sparklies. That unit was only 6ft wide and I want to move up to an HD 16:9format.

One home theater enthusiast on AVS wrote a review on the high power. He must have a lot of time on his hands but he has played with all types of screens, some VERY expensive and the time of the review seemed to be sold on the high power fabric.

I would invite you to read this and some of the other reviews he has done. Its written for the general audience, not for the ultra-high tech crowd with light meters and such. The high power review is here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=773065

I have a 130" screen myself, I decided to go with the higher quality instead of the automatic screen. I don't mind pulling my own screen down.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

yeah, thats probably what I will have to do if I am going to go with a Da-lite high power. I was hoping I would find someone with a cheap Electrol model that I could replace the fabric on.

Man, 130" screen is a wide screen to pull down isnt it? My Model C at at my old home was a pull down type and you had to know how to work it to get it to roll up.

BTW, if anyone is interested in a 120" motorized Draper Envoy, PM me. I really need to sell it

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ele/1152901397.html

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement