Audiophiles -- Problems with Onkyo - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Audiophiles -- Problems with Onkyo

Alright, I bought an Onkyo TXSR606 a week or so ago, and am having trouble getting things set up.

I'm trying to run the auto speaker setup, but I get a speaker detect error every fucking time I run it. I've double, triple, and quadruple checked all my connections. I'm bi amping the front tower speakers, per Onkyo's instructions. They are run to FL, FR, SBL, and SBR per the manual. It runs fine up through the FL, FR, and C. When it gets the the SBR, the speakers do make the noise, but then it stops and says 'Speaker Detect Error'

This is how it appears on the display.

FL: Yes FR: Yes
SL:--- SR:---
SBL:--- SBR:Yes
C: Yes SBW:---

Onkyo TXSR606
Polk Audio RTI10 (towers)
Polk Audio CS5 (center)
Polk Audio PSW505 (sub)

Anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
Alright, I bought an Onkyo TXSR606 a week or so ago, and am having trouble getting things set up.

I'm trying to run the auto speaker setup, but I get a speaker detect error every fucking time I run it. I've double, triple, and quadruple checked all my connections. I'm bi amping the front tower speakers, per Onkyo's instructions. They are run to FL, FR, SBL, and SBR per the manual. It runs fine up through the FL, FR, and C. When it gets the the SBR, the speakers do make the noise, but then it stops and says 'Speaker Detect Error'

This is how it appears on the display.

FL: Yes FR: Yes
SL:--- SR:---
SBL:--- SBR:Yes
C: Yes SBW:---

Onkyo TXSR606
Polk Audio RTI10 (towers)
Polk Audio CS5 (center)
Polk Audio PSW505 (sub)

Anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Under the speaker setup menu do you have it set to biamp mode and have the surround turned off? Your just running a 3.1 type setup?

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford View Post
Under the speaker setup menu do you have it set to biamp mode and have the surround turned off? Your just running a 3.1 type setup?
Previously, I did not have it set to biamp mode. Manual didn't say anything about that in the auto speaker setup section. Just switched from normal to bi-amp mode, and am running the auto setup again.

Yeah, just 3.1 while I'm trying to get it all set up for the fights this weekend. I bought these speakers from my BIL, who couldn't care less about surround. I'm not sure I'm going to go to a full 7.1, but I'm on the hunt for deals for surround speakers and will have 5.1 at minimum in the next week or so.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Iamwaxman!

Where do you live? Would it be possible for me to come by sometime and go over it with you? Sounds like this is going to be difficult to narrow down without actually seeing it in person.

Nick
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Chapman View Post
Where do you live? Would it be possible for me to come by sometime and go over it with you? Sounds like this is going to be difficult to narrow down without actually seeing it in person.

Nick

University Hills (Irving), off of Rochelle and 114. If you could come by, that would kick ass. I'm no audiophile, so any help would be greatly appreciated and rewarded with some cold frosty beverages of your choice!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 06:15 PM
dead

i bi-amped an onkyo once. you have to go into the menu and enable it bi amp first. based on post #3 you did now.

you did remove the bridge on the speaker terminals right?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Turbobrooks

Location: You can call me Aaron Burr from the way I'm dropping Hamiltons
I had to do a similar enabling thing with my Denon. It was deep in the menus...

Allen Werl Performance Racecraft Motorsports Inc.

Made possible by:
http://www.jamesbschassisservices.com
http://www.brooksracecraft.com
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 05:03 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I had to do a similar enabling thing with my Denon. It was deep in the menus...
Thats kind of what I'm thinking this will be. But it would take forever to figure it all out doing it this way. Best to just see it in person and try to figure it out.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Gunga galunga

It really easy on the Onkyo if everything is connected right: Menu > Speaker Setup > Speaker Settings > Speaker Type > Switch from "Normal" to "Bi-Amp". When you hit return the receiver will click when it switches.

After you change it, under the speaker setup menu go to "speaker config", the options for the rear surround won't be selectable when in Bi-Amp mode since that amp is driving the front channel.

<-- Onkyo SR705

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 02:44 PM
dead

you get it fixed?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 01:29 AM
Lifer

Only receiver(s) I use is Onkyo. It will error out on auto-calibration if it doesn't detect a speaker present on every channel in normal mode.

Did you get it to work from the suggestions provided above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
Only receiver(s) I use is Onkyo. It will error out on auto-calibration if it doesn't detect a speaker present on every channel in normal mode.

Did you get it to work from the suggestions provided above?
As far as the auto cal goes, yes, I got it to work. I think I'm doing something wrong, though. It should be much louder than what it is.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 12:28 PM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
As far as the auto cal goes, yes, I got it to work. I think I'm doing something wrong, though. It should be much louder than what it is.
bi-amping wont make it sound louder.
that said, it shouldnt sound quiet though.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion View Post
bi-amping wont make it sound louder.
that said, it shouldnt sound quiet though.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that bi-amping would make it sound louder. Something just doesn't seem right. These speakers rattled shit when they were hooked up at my BIL's house. I get none of that at my house. He has a Pioneer receiver, but I believe they are similarly rated when it comes to power.

I'm still scared to push the limits though, as well. Don't want to kill anything.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 01:13 PM
dead

as long as you dont severly under-power or clip (amp clipping out or creating distortion) the speakers shouldnt blow... or miswire. dont ever miswire!

the onkyo i believe is rated at 6ohms. im betting your speakers are 8ohm. that's 25% less power being output per channel than advertised by onkyo. on top of that, onkyo overrates their power a bit in comparison to other brands.

did the microphone thing set your levels and distance? it should be very accurate as far as distance and it should have set up calibration levels by channel. post those numbers up.

not sure what your volume read out is like on the display. if it goes down as you raise the volume, that's db under reference. you should be pretty content to about -15db under reference.
you can probably (and should) change it in the menu if its goes up as the volume goes up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement