Has anyone done the calibration at Best Buy? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Has anyone done the calibration at Best Buy?

I bought a new 52" samsung LCD 1080p TV and I also bought the calibration cause they said it makes the picture alot better. Has anyone else done this and were you happy with the outcome?

2010 F-350 6.4L 4X4 CC SRW Longbed

Spartan 250 tune, 5 inch Flo-Pro exhaust w/DPF delete, AFE stage 2 CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 10:33 AM
duh...duh....duh

I have not, but am interested as well. How much did it cost and do they come out or is it something they do before delivering? My picture looks fine, but hell - I'd do it if it makes a difference.

My '03 Sold.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Well I bought a 5 year warranty for my tv and they took 100 dollars off so it came out to 299 I think. But you have to watch at least 150 hours on the tv and they come out to your house and do it. I haven't done it yet cause I was waiting on direct tv to come out and give me HD. Then best buy is suppose to come out and do whatever they do.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Iamwaxman!

Anyone wanting to do this themselves, I have the disk that walks you though all the steps. Unless the guys from Best Buy are using light meters and stuff like that, this will not be any different.

Nick
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Chapman View Post
Anyone wanting to do this themselves, I have the disk that walks you though all the steps. Unless the guys from Best Buy are using light meters and stuff like that, this will not be any different.

Nick
I have no idea what they use. Did that make a difference on your tv? Whatever they do, it suppose to take them an hour and half to do it.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt View Post
I have no idea what they use. Did that make a difference on your tv? Whatever they do, it suppose to take them an hour and half to do it.
If they don't use special equipment(wouldn't think best buy does?) then it is pretty simple really, it'll bring out some detail in dark scenes, colors more accurate etc. Perfect for FIOS lol j/k

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 01:46 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangstang View Post
If they don't use special equipment(wouldn't think best buy does?) then it is pretty simple really, it'll bring out some detail in dark scenes, colors more accurate etc. Perfect for FIOS lol j/k
Ah the disk. Yeah that thing works okay for what it is.

Easily burnable.

My '03 Sold.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 04:33 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangstang View Post
Best Buy uses special equipment, but for $300, I think I'll just buy the DVD and save $280.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor! View Post
Best Buy uses special equipment, but for $300, I think I'll just buy the DVD and save $280.
or borrow a disk from a friend, saves you an extra $20, i.e. post #4

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Turbobrooks

Location: You can call me Aaron Burr from the way I'm dropping Hamiltons
http://www.tweaktv.com/

Allen Werl Performance Racecraft Motorsports Inc.

Made possible by:
http://www.jamesbschassisservices.com
http://www.brooksracecraft.com
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
That is pretty much what best buy is suppose to do. They said if I don't like it for any reason within 30 days I can get a full refund.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 02:28 AM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
vasty different settings than what I had for my LCD, but I just switched them and I'm gonna take a look.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Lifer

Do some searching on avsforums.com. It is likely someone with your model has already calibrated their TV and you can just use their settings. That's what I did, with a few slight adjustments per my preferences, and it did make an improvement.

Whippled '06 by Gearheads - 474rwhp 450rwtq @ 10psi and a few other Borla/Steeda/BMR/CHE/Tokico mods...

Gearheads Dyno Video

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chritaka View Post
Do some searching on avsforums.com. It is likely someone with your model has already calibrated their TV and you can just use their settings. That's what I did, with a few slight adjustments per my preferences, and it did make an improvement.
Ditto, plenty of people there that have all the equipment and have done the leg work... I made some of the service menu adjustments and it made a big difference compared to what you are limited to in the regular picture menu.

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Colorado Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chritaka View Post
Note that the correct link is avsforum.com, there is no 's'. With the S it takes you to one of those generic search pages that bombs you with pop-ups when you try to leave.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 10:24 AM
2-7 and still a fan!

Thumbs up

I thought I had the perfect settings, I went and printed off my Panasonics calibration and it did wonders! I programed my HDMI blu-ray input as well and it fooking rocks!
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Time Served

i just used the avia II home theater dvd. it made one hell of a difference on my LG plasma. the colors are so much more dead on then they were from the factory. the blacks are also hella better once i calibrated.

2002 4.6L 5 spd. S281

So fast, I make speedy gonzales look like regular gonzales
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Pink Taco KILLA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt View Post
I bought a new 52" samsung LCD 1080p TV and I also bought the calibration cause they said it makes the picture alot better. Has anyone else done this and were you happy with the outcome?
I have the disc and calibrated my own TV. Its not hard to do and its definitely not worth the 250 they charge or whatever it is nowadays.

Hell Ill do them for $150 for that matter as long as you have a Blu Ray player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbostang
Mike.. If you go faster than a 6.4 it would be a miracle - unless you have a strong tail wind. That thing is gonna spit chicken bones everywhere..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
ive come closer to 5's then you ever have, and will be deeper in the 5's then you will ever be...just tell me when you will be ready, ill be waiting...
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenfetchedlately View Post
I have the disc and calibrated my own TV. Its not hard to do and its definitely not worth the 250 they charge or whatever it is nowadays.

Hell Ill do them for $150 for that matter as long as you have a Blu Ray player.
How about you just let me borrow your disc, so I don't have to pay you, or buy my own disc.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 10:23 PM

I'll throw my 2 cents in here. The guy that said he used the same specs as his friend on his tv, is bullshit because you can't get into the service menus on the tv like they can. The $299 price they charge is very high and not worth it, maybe for $100 it might be. The Dvd that you guys are all talking about works only to a certain point and that is where the calibration picks up the rest. The Equipment to do the calibrations is very expensive, over $5k per set. I have seen it done many of times and it does make an improvement but you ultimately end up changing it any ways to best suite your needs. You actually need to put 500 hours on the TV before you do the calibration for your TV's screens LCD or Plasma to break in. It's in the Manufactures manuals! Personally I wouldn't pay for it, you can go to websites and see what you can do. Or you can just watch some dvd movies like Dark Knight with low level black scenes and just adjust it to your liking.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Pink Taco KILLA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
How about you just let me borrow your disc, so I don't have to pay you, or buy my own disc.

25 bucks and u can borrow it for 3 days with my glasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbostang
Mike.. If you go faster than a 6.4 it would be a miracle - unless you have a strong tail wind. That thing is gonna spit chicken bones everywhere..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
ive come closer to 5's then you ever have, and will be deeper in the 5's then you will ever be...just tell me when you will be ready, ill be waiting...
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 04:55 PM
HPP = GHEY

how can i get my hands on this said disk???

Nick's Custom Detailing 214-205-1287

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybo View Post
Don't care if you do. This is not going to be another talk about Kenny's Cobalt thread. I know what my other car runs and I am proud of it. It might be hard for you to swallow that pill, but there are lots of 4 bangers that run 13s and better. SRT-4 Neons, Cobalt SS's, Saturn Sky Redline's and Evo's do it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder
HPP FUCKED ME OVER!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement