13 years I've had DVD.... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
I make this look good!

13 years I've had DVD....

..and I still can't get rid of my LaserDiscs. I haven't even had a player for at least 5 years. I was going through some boxes and found a bunch of them and my (10 year old) daughter asked what they were. I had to explain that before there were DVD's there were LaserDiscs....and that typically the movie came on multiple discs meaning you had to flip and change discs to see an entire movie.

I've framed a few over the years. But at the prices I spent on them "back in the day", I just can't seem to part with them. Anybody else had this problem with stereo/video products?

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
- Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 09:49 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo rojo View Post
..and I still can't get rid of my LaserDiscs. I haven't even had a player for at least 5 years. I was going through some boxes and found a bunch of them and my (10 year old) daughter asked what they were. I had to explain that before there were DVD's there were LaserDiscs....and that typically the movie came on multiple discs meaning you had to flip and change discs to see an entire movie.

I've framed a few over the years. But at the prices I spent on them "back in the day", I just can't seem to part with them. Anybody else had this problem with stereo/video products?
I remember when they came out, I was memorized by playing Need For Speed on the 3DO demo at incredible universe while people walked out of the store left and right with those things. They had them hanging in the windows inside.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 02:01 PM
11-05-09

I was one of the few who had a 3DO back in the day.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Custom Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
I remember when they came out, I was memorized by playing Need For Speed on the 3DO demo at incredible universe while people walked out of the store left and right with those things. They had them hanging in the windows inside.
I had a 3DO system, it was fun as hell playing Road Rash and some Karate game that had real peoples hands and feet for the player to control, and you fought against real people.

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Lifer

I collect Laserdiscs. I even have some valuable ones like THX WOW in pristine condition. I had Robinson Crusoe on Mars Criterion Edition, which is very valuable. I have Jurassic Park DTS sealed, which was the first LD with DTS. I have a mostly classic sci-fi lot, but I have a lot of 80s stuff to like Firestarter with Drew Barrymore. I have a few of the original Star Trek episodes sealed in LD.

My LD player is a Sony MDP-A1 and it is a work horse. It has optical out audio, composite, s-video, and component video. It's also auto-reverse, so I don't have to manually switch sides like most of the earlier LD players made you do. Also playes CDs. I keep it around and occasionally watch a LD movie just for nostalgia. The video quality is better than a VHS, but the media is way too fragile. They oxidize with age and some even come right out of the wrapper with laser rot due to a poor manufacturing process. I've bought brand new LDs with laser rot.

LD would have been more successful if they wouldn't have priced themselves out of business. Players were expensive and movies were very expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 05:56 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
I collect Laserdiscs. I even have some valuable ones like THX WOW in pristine condition. I had Robinson Crusoe on Mars Criterion Edition, which is very valuable. I have Jurassic Park DTS sealed, which was the first LD with DTS. I have a mostly classic sci-fi lot, but I have a lot of 80s stuff to like Firestarter with Drew Barrymore. I have a few of the original Star Trek episodes sealed in LD.

My LD player is a Sony MDP-A1 and it is a work horse. It has optical out audio, composite, s-video, and component video. It's also auto-reverse, so I don't have to manually switch sides like most of the earlier LD players made you do. Also playes CDs. I keep it around and occasionally watch a LD movie just for nostalgia. The video quality is better than a VHS, but the media is way too fragile. They oxidize with age and some even come right out of the wrapper with laser rot due to a poor manufacturing process. I've bought brand new LDs with laser rot.

LD would have been more successful if they wouldn't have priced themselves out of business. Players were expensive and movies were very expensive.
LD was utilizing at the time old platter technology - it never took off because most manufacturers were concerned with a CD video derivative (dvd).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
I make this look good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
LD was utilizing at the time old platter technology - it never took off because most manufacturers were concerned with a CD video derivative (dvd).
I would have to give LD its credit in "taking off" based on the fact that it has been around since the mid to late 70's and until DVD came along in 1995 it was the format you absolutely HAD to have to get the best theater experience.

DAT never really took off either........yet it has remained a studio mainstay.

I think he's right about the simple cost being prohibitive for most.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
- Will Rogers
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Colorado Dreamin'

My first DVD player was a PS2 and I got it in around '02-'03. I'm not typically an early adopter for new technology and by the time I would have been ready to buy a laser disk player they were already out of date.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Dont Be Stupid

i like your avatar..

Do you have the princess bride on LD--Awesome movie!!

95 gt - Work in progress...306,TFS heads,Holley systemax II,--It's Alive..After 3 years

2000 S-10 ZR2...Needs tires and a lift bad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement