Best LCD - 52" - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Race Tracks have Corners?

Best LCD - 52"

Looking at the Sony X (55 in) or Z series and Samsung Series 8 currently.

Anyone have any experience with either of these? Any other sets of similar quality and specs suggested?

It's a rental!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 10:17 AM
CHAMPION

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ake View Post
Looking at the Sony X (55 in) or Z series and Samsung Series 8 currently.

Anyone have any experience with either of these? Any other sets of similar quality and specs suggested?

I have a Samsung 52' LCD in the living room, and a Sony 40' in my bedroom.

maybe its the lighting in the bedroom or something but I think the Sony has a better picture, BUT they are BOTH awesome TV's and I love each the same! I say you cant go wrong with either TV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new 009.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	90513  

2006 GSX-R 1000
2001 Mustang Bullitt
1992 Mustang Coupe

Last edited by Bullitt3246; 02-28-2009 at 10:55 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Banned

Not sure what year it is, but my roommate has a Sony, and my parents just bought a Samsung. The samsung wins hands down. It's not even a contest.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Lifer

I have the 52" TOC 8 series from Samsung. It was by far my favorite picture in comparison with any other TV out of the box.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I have the 52" TOC 8 series from Samsung. It was by far my favorite picture in comparison with any other TV out of the box.
Better than DLP? unpossible!

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 03:30 PM
B-WIZ

Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
Not sure what year it is, but my roommate has a Sony, and my parents just bought a Samsung. The samsung wins hands down. It's not even a contest.
Making statements like this is like saying your roomate drives a Chevy, but my parents bought a Ford and it wins hands down. For all we know the Chevy is a Malibu and the Ford is a Ford GT.

Both brands make great sets but when comparing them, it really depends on the models.

b1ake: between those sets, I would ask you if you are picking LCD because of glare issues versus Plasmas. If you are I would pick one of the Sony's, as the Samsung 8 series uses an ultra-clear panel that really reflects glare as bad as a Plasma.

Now, between the X and Z, personally... I would say the Z. You shouldn't be able to hardly tell at all the difference between the X and Z's unless you're thinking about the xbr8. The Z is much cheaper and the frame is SUPER thin, so its mostly screen you see. But I don't think the Z comes in a 55".

DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.

Last edited by KOZMO; 02-28-2009 at 03:36 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Lifer

Do you plan on using any of the networking functionality? That's one of the bigger reasons I liked the Samsung. Other than I thought it was better (and better priced) than any of Sony's offerings. I don't think it reflects glare as bad as Plasma's either.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Race Tracks have Corners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Do you plan on using any of the networking functionality? That's one of the bigger reasons I liked the Samsung. Other than I thought it was better (and better priced) than any of Sony's offerings. I don't think it reflects glare as bad as Plasma's either.
What do you use on the networking functionality?

I do agree on pricing for Samsung vs. Sony. I also saw a Philips and a Sharp Aquos that had a pretty good picture.

I am actually buying this TV in Asia, so I need to get one that will handle both 100hz/120hz refresh rate. Most of the model numbers are different too.

It's a rental!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Lifer

Look up the DLNA functionality. I use the media interface to stream movies, music, photos and etc. It's actually pretty neat, though if you have a media center PC you probably wouldn't need it. It's nice if you don't though.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 09:36 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

I have the 750 Samsung and am very happy with it. I couldn't justify $600 more dollars for a thinner TV with the same specs and features. It's cheaper now though and if it were $200 difference at the time I might have gone for it. The real winner is the 950 though, it has all the same features and specs of the 850 but with LED backlighting.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I just got the Sony 52" W series (120 Hz). I couldnt be happier with the picture quality. I am not an expert but I did shop for about 2 months, I went and looked during Black Friday saw several but didnt buy, waited a bit, kept looking around, saw a big diffrence between the normal refresh rate and the faster 120 Hz so I pulled the trigger on the "W"
....lol I just heard and add for a new Sony 240 Hz, maybe I should have waited a bit longer?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:47 PM
CHAMPION

Like I said I have a SONY and a SAMSUNG! You will be happy with either TV.
I first bought a DLP and quickly returned it for the Samsung 52' LCD!

NOW, i JUST need to make up my mind on paying a little bit extra for a better AT&T HD service or stay with my cheap 80-90 bucks a month PAR/AVERAGE Charter channels...

dont wanna hijack but anybody switch from Charter to AT&T? Better quality?

2006 GSX-R 1000
2001 Mustang Bullitt
1992 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement