issue with ps3 digital audio out - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

issue with ps3 digital audio out

I picked up a PS3 last night and was having some issues. It is connected to my reciever via the digital fiber cable.

Problem is the reciever will not click over to dolby digital or dts. With the old dvd player and the digital coax it would.

Is there a setting I am messing up. I configured the ps3 to use the digital cable, and checked dts, and dolby, but it will not click over. Weard part is if I put a game in, it does click over to dolby. I tried it that way and with the hdmi with the same results, I must be doing somethng wrong.

Thanks
BJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Custom Title

I think the PS3 handles the conversion, not the receiver, so the receiver just sends the signal to the speakers already in the format it needs.

Is there a Bitstream or PCM option on the PS3?

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstang View Post
I think the PS3 handles the conversion, not the receiver, so the receiver just sends the signal to the speakers already in the format it needs.

Is there a Bitstream or PCM option on the PS3?
There is, I am going to try messing with that when I got home. After reading some other forums thats what most people say to mess with. I couldnt find it last night.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Custom Title

If I remember right, if it is set to Bitstream the receiver will decode the signal and show on it's display of what the signal is (Tru HD, DTS, etc.). if it is set to PCM, the PS3 sends the signals decoded already and the receiver just passes it along to the speakers.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Resident Epicurean

This is from another board member, and might be your issue.

on the ps3's bluray, the audio output needs to be set as linear PCM so the ps3 processes the dolby truehd and dts master audio and sends it over the hdmi as 8 discrete channels. the receiver doesnt need to have truehd or dtsma because it doesnt have to decode anything.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 11:26 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
the receiver doesnt need to have truehd or dtsma because it doesnt have to decode anything.
That doesn't sound right. I thought the receiver still had to process the signal and be compatible with Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD.

This is interesting. What good would receivers be if the players did all of the processing? All we'd need is the amp.

Maybe I am missing something.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv View Post
That doesn't sound right. I thought the receiver still had to process the signal and be compatible with Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD.

This is interesting. What good would receivers be if the players did all of the processing? All we'd need is the amp.

Hopefully momo will post up. I just copied/pasted that from a pm he sent me a few days ago.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:

exactly, thats why I paid for the reciever, I want it to do the work.

Plus the way it is working right now, I just feel that the sound quality isnt as good as it should be, or has been in the past with my regular dvd player.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Custom Title

Teh player vs. the reciever doing the work is what Bitstream vs PCM is for. Bitstream means the signals is sent and the receiver decodes it, PCM means the palyer decodes it and the receiver just plays it the way it is.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Teh player vs. the reciever doing the work is what Bitstream vs PCM is for. Bitstream means the signals is sent and the receiver decodes it, PCM means the palyer decodes it and the receiver just plays it the way it is.

So, both of them decode, it's just a matter of preference on how it's set up?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 12:05 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
See, my receiver has the "direct" option which will just pass through the sound unprocessed.

But what is the point of receivers being TrueHD and DTS HD compatible if the player does all of the work?

Logic tells me that each piece needs to have the technology in order for it to work as intended.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 12:44 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
So, both of them decode, it's just a matter of preference on how it's set up?
Sounds crazy to me, but apparently that's correct.

This article sums it up pretty well.

http://www.digital-digest.com/articl...ide_page6.html

You can let the player decode it and send the audio to the receiver by choosing PCM in the PS3 settings. This seems to be the best way.

Or, you can select bitstream on the PS3, and then depend on the receiver to decode it.

So did I waste money buying a receiver that supports the new formats?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Custom Title

Quote:
Not really, well, unless the old one supported HDMI 1.3 (I think that is the newest HDMI). Digital cable and Optical cable do not have the bandwidth to handle the new stuff (Tru HD, etc.)

I like the receiver to decode, so I can see the display show what it is decoding, then I know it is in Tru HD, or whatever signal it is decodding!

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:19 PM
dead

Quote:
This is from another board member, and might be your issue.

on the ps3's bluray, the audio output needs to be set as linear PCM so the ps3 processes the dolby truehd and dts master audio and sends it over the hdmi as 8 discrete channels. the receiver doesnt need to have truehd or dtsma because it doesnt have to decode anything.
this is for HDMI only. HDMI will support 8 channel discrete PCM. it will display on your receiver as "multi-channel PCM" or something similar.

an optical cable can only support a 2 channel PCM stream. if you are using optical, you need to set it as BITSTREAM so the receiver can decode. optical will not pass dts/ma or dd true-hd.

Quote:

you're not missing anything, most people like the comfort of seeing their receiver tell them "DTS M/A".

something is funny about the PS3 audio over hdmi. most people say the PS3 will NOT send dts/ma or true hd as bitstream (HDMI), instead it only sends out 2 channel. whether it is a software limitation or hardware has not been stated by sony. my guess is it is software b/c sending 8 channel discrete is much harder than sending compressed/encoded bitstream.

the best way with the ps3 is to use PCM. its the same sound.

Last edited by momo stallion; 02-20-2009 at 02:29 PM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:22 PM
dead

Quote:
Sounds crazy to me, but apparently that's correct.

This article sums it up pretty well.

http://www.digital-digest.com/articl...ide_page6.html

You can let the player decode it and send the audio to the receiver by choosing PCM in the PS3 settings. This seems to be the best way.

Or, you can select bitstream on the PS3, and then depend on the receiver to decode it.

well in all fairness you got 7.1 out of it along with HDMI switching and upconverting depending on your specific receiver. plus if sony ever changes it via firmware update (if possible) you can use bitstream then.

other bluray players will let you send bitstream too.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:23 PM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beej View Post
exactly, thats why I paid for the reciever, I want it to do the work.

Plus the way it is working right now, I just feel that the sound quality isnt as good as it should be, or has been in the past with my regular dvd player.
which receiver did you get?

if the receiver does audio via HDMI you should use that. under video options, change it audio over HDMI to linear PCM out.
then under audio options, you should select all the check boxes.

if there is no hdmi audio on your receiver, use optical, go to video settings and change audio through optical to use bitstream.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:24 PM
dead

Quote:
Hopefully momo will post up. I just copied/pasted that from a pm he sent me a few days ago.
i started replying to this thread nice and early in the morning but was then inundated with work and forgot to come back to it.

Last edited by momo stallion; 02-20-2009 at 02:29 PM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:58 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion View Post
well in all fairness you got 7.1 out of it along with HDMI switching and upconverting depending on your specific receiver. plus if sony ever changes it via firmware update (if possible) you can use bitstream then.

other bluray players will let you send bitstream too.
I have three 7.1 setups in my house. The newest one in my living room does the HDMI switching and True HD and DTS-HD formats. That's the one I have my PS3 hooked up to. Then I have one in my gameroom that supports HDMI, but not HDMI switching. So I still use optical cables for the audio. If I hook up a second PS3 to that one, will I be able to get True HD audio since the PS3 decodes it? Will that work even though I still have to use optical cables for my audio? It's so confusing. Then the one in my bedroom still uses the component video cables and optical audio. On the two older setups, I am assuming that nothing is true 7.1, but using ProLogicIIx, it spreads the rear signals to the extra two speakers. I don't have Bluray players hooked up to them (yet) anyway.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

ok, I will be taking a look at it when I get home. I am like everyone else here. I want the warm and fuzzy of that little light.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 03:18 PM
dead

Quote:
I have three 7.1 setups in my house. The newest one in my living room does the HDMI switching and True HD and DTS-HD formats. That's the one I have my PS3 hooked up to. Then I have one in my gameroom that supports HDMI, but not HDMI switching. So I still use optical cables for the audio. If I hook up a second PS3 to that one, will I be able to get True HD audio since the PS3 decodes it? Will that work even though I still have to use optical cables for my audio? It's so confusing. Then the one in my bedroom still uses the component video cables and optical audio. On the two older setups, I am assuming that nothing is true 7.1, but using ProLogicIIx, it spreads the rear signals to the extra two speakers. I don't have Bluray players hooked up to them (yet) anyway.
the one in your living room sounds like it is ready to go. it will accept the new formats as pcm or bitstream. too bad the ps3 wont give you what you are looking for via bitstream.

the one in your gameroom doesn't sound like it takes audio over hdmi at all so the only way you can get the new formats is if you get a bluray player with 7.1 channel analog outputs. a handful of bluray players support this (ie. sony bdp-s550). imo, it's kind of a beating to run 8 interconnect cables! id just use optical.

the one in your bedroom wont b/c of no hdmi support. it will probably accept 7.1 analog inputs as well just like the one in your game room.

don't sweat the new formats too much. i had hell trying to tell the difference but i was using a 5.1 setup. i've never had a room that would accommodate 7.1 very well.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 03:31 PM
yes, jluv

Cool. Thanks for the info!
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I changed it to bitstream and we are good to go. Thanks for the help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement