Need Help, Cable=Fail - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Texan

Thumbs down Need Help, Cable=Fail

This happened at my last apartment and I thought it was because I wasn't paying anymore; I was just running a coax cable from the wall to the back of my TV.

Fast forward to now I just got cable hooked up in my dorm. Same setup with a wire going straight into the back of my TV. It is supposed to be for full cable, but I only get channels 49-74. Those are the same channels I got last time. The rest just come in as static.

Is there something I can buy or do to fix this? I did a channel search on the menu but nothing changed.

The TV is a 32" Sanyo that is about 8 years old.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 08:41 AM
dead

no cable box i assume?

go to the menu of the TV and make sure your coaxial input is set as CABLE and not AIR or ANTENNA.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Texan

there is a Cable or UHF/VHF option and it has been on cable. when i switch it all the channels go to static.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Time Served

does your dorm really have cable or is it just a community antenna that is on the roof?

it might be they just have antenna that is picking up all the OTA (over-the-air) local broadcast stations. these stations used to broadcast in both digital and analog. they just started turning off the vast majority of analog broadcasts earlier this week. this means if your tv doesn't have a digital tuner you won't get a picture from OTA broadcasts any more.

your 8 year old sanyo tv i bet does not have an ATSC tuner (for digital) so you won't get a picture like this. it will be all static.

you can get an analog to digital converter box and that will fix it. if you had a cable box it wouldn't be an issue because the cable box can covert it to an analog signal for you.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 12:38 PM
dead

id make them give me a cable box.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt54 View Post
does your dorm really have cable or is it just a community antenna that is on the roof?

it might be they just have antenna that is picking up all the OTA (over-the-air) local broadcast stations. these stations used to broadcast in both digital and analog. they just started turning off the vast majority of analog broadcasts earlier this week. this means if your tv doesn't have a digital tuner you won't get a picture from OTA broadcasts any more.

your 8 year old sanyo tv i bet does not have an ATSC tuner (for digital) so you won't get a picture like this. it will be all static.

you can get an analog to digital converter box and that will fix it. if you had a cable box it wouldn't be an issue because the cable box can covert it to an analog signal for you.
Its cable provided by the local company (paid for in part of the room and board fee). I figured that it may be the analog converter, but it was giving me the same problem in December of last year. I'll pick one up to see if that fixes it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement