Three days with Time Warner.. Woe is me... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
11-05-09

Thumbs down Three days with Time Warner.. Woe is me...

Is all it took for my first problem. Not sure how to explain this, so here it goes...

Last night I noticed that my TW remote isn't controlling the STB properly, and is only controlling the TV (VOL and POW). I said fuck it and went to bed. I mess with it a while more when I get home, and accidently discover that the remote actually works and controls the STB as long as the TV is OFF. When the TV is on, it WILL NOT work at all. Changing channels, guide, On demand, nothing works.

I call once, and they tell me the remote is bad, and they want me to drive to Farmers Branch to their office to get a new one. I said that's far out of my way, and decide to decline tenativley. I program the TV remote to control the STB, and it also ONLY works when the TV is off. What the fuck? Has anybody ever heard of this? Two controls with the exact same symptoms, and both with different manufacturers.

I have a tech coming out Wednesday. And after bitching they decided to drop the $40 service fee to come out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
Is all it took for my first problem. Not sure how to explain this, so here it goes...

Last night I noticed that my TW remote isn't controlling the STB properly, and is only controlling the TV (VOL and POW). I said fuck it and went to bed. I mess with it a while more when I get home, and accidently discover that the remote actually works and controls the STB as long as the TV is OFF. When the TV is on, it WILL NOT work at all. Changing channels, guide, On demand, nothing works.

I call once, and they tell me the remote is bad, and they want me to drive to Farmers Branch to their office to get a new one. I said that's far out of my way, and decide to decline tenativley. I program the TV remote to control the STB, and it also ONLY works when the TV is off. What the fuck? Has anybody ever heard of this? Two controls with the exact same symptoms, and both with different manufacturers.

I have a tech coming out Wednesday. And after bitching they decided to drop the $40 service fee to come out.
When you're looking for one...

They didn't charge you a $40 service fee to come out. There aren't any charges for service calls if the issue isn't caused by your equipment. If you have the black remote, you should be able to go here and get it figured out:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/dalla...emote+Controls
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
When you're looking for one...

They didn't charge you a $40 service fee to come out. There aren't any charges for service calls if the issue isn't caused by your equipment. If you have the black remote, you should be able to go here and get it figured out:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/dalla...emote+Controls
Thanks for the link, I'll look at it tomorrow. The guy on the phone told me that if it wasn't an equipment malfunction, and only a remote problem, they would charge me $40. Actually, both reps I spoke with today told me the same thing. The second rep was more helpful, and said since I have had service less than 72 hours, that they would make it an 'incomplete' order. The first rep just told me how to 'program' the remote to work with the STB, and it didn't work. He concluded that the remote was bad. If that's the case, why does the remote work fine when the TV is off?

Oh well, hopefully they'll switch me to a new STB, as mine appears to be worn, and has scuff marks all over it.

I'm connected with HDMI, and I've tried Component, and RCA, all with the same problems, so I guess it has nothing to do with the TV? Who knows.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 01:04 PM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy

I have heard of this before. What brand of TV is it? Somthing is happening when the TV is on that is interfering with the remote signal - I'm assuming it's IR. What's the model of the converter box?

Can you move the STB away from the TV and see if it works?

Last edited by stinginstang; 02-17-2009 at 02:35 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinginstang View Post
I have heard of this before. What brand of TV is it? Somthing is happening when the TV is on that is interfering with the remote signal - I'm assuming it's IR. What's the model of the converter box?

Can you move the STB away from the TV and see if it works?

Toshiba Regza 42XV545U

Motorola DCH3200 HD box

I covered the TV IR ports with electric tape to see if there was any difference, and there was none. TW Tech is here, and can't figure it out. Different box, same problems. There is something with the TV that is interfering with the box. We can't figure it out. Oh, and we moved the STB away as far as we could.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 08:03 PM

does the TV have some kind of OPC control - something that adjusts the brightness automatically being used on the TV? Some people have had success turning that off. I've also read that if you can shield the converter box - paper, your hand, get creative - it might shield some of that ir interference.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinginstang View Post
does the TV have some kind of OPC control - something that adjusts the brightness automatically being used on the TV? Some people have had success turning that off. I've also read that if you can shield the converter box - paper, your hand, get creative - it might shield some of that ir interference.
Yes, it does, however, it is turned off.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
11-05-09

So, the tech came out (third time) and pretty much told me that there's interference between the tv and STB. Yeah, I already knew that. Dude said that the DVR worked, but it would cost me ~$16 a month extra. I asked him how that was fair, that the basic shit didn't work, but in order to get working service I have to pay an additional $16 when it should already work? Guy said "Sorry, that's all we can do, you have your options with other providers."

I was LMFAO, I live in an apartment with a FUCKING TW monopoly. Two weeks FiOSless, and I already miss it terribly.

I've said it many times before, and many times later,

FUCK TIME WARNER CABLE
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Custom Title

That sucks. When I loved in apts. before I would check who was avaialble for cable before I moved in, if they sucked, I would find a different apt. to move into. Too may available to have to suffer every day while watching TV or surfing the net (although there was very limited internet back then).

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstang View Post
That sucks. When I loved in apts. before I would check who was avaialble for cable before I moved in, if they sucked, I would find a different apt. to move into. Too may available to have to suffer every day while watching TV or surfing the net (although there was very limited internet back then).

Too late for me. I'm locked for a year at this apartment, and this is my first month. I can afford the extra $16 a month, but it's the principle of the matter at hand.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Quote:
Too late for me. I'm locked for a year at this apartment, and this is my first month. I can afford the extra $16 a month, but it's the principle of the matter at hand.

How much are they gonna charge ya if you break your lease? All the new promo's just started and its up to $305 in savings first year lol. I feel your pain, here at the house I'm actually stuck with charter, and I'm not gonna sell my house just for fios, it'll be here eventually.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
11-05-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangstang View Post
How much are they gonna charge ya if you break your lease? All the new promo's just started and its up to $305 in savings first year lol. I feel your pain, here at the house I'm actually stuck with charter, and I'm not gonna sell my house just for fios, it'll be here eventually.

I can't afford to break the lease, and live elsewhere. I'm stuck here.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Quote:
I can't afford to break the lease, and live elsewhere. I'm stuck here.
Damn, I feel for ya.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:12 AM

I guess you'll be ponying up the 16 bucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement