Mach 460 Replace question - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Mach 460 Replace question

Quick question: after an electrical drain & a lot of trial & error on my part I finally took my 99 GT into a great local mechanic which discovered that one of my rear amps on the Mach 460 system was pulling electricity while my car was turned off. if I left my car alone for more than 1-2 days without a start up the battery was dead.

took my car into a local Dallas car audio shop in which they told me I need the following to bring it up to speed:

- new deck
- 1 new 4-channel amp after taking out the 2 rear Mach 460 amps
- 4 new 5 x 7 speakers (2 rear / 2 front)
- 2 new mid-range tweeters for the upper doors
- wiring / chassis / cubby (for lower what would be old cd player area, my personal preference) / etc

does this sound about right? Anything I can do without to bring up to speed back to how it pretty much was with the 460 fully working.

Right now I have both rear amps disconnected. Only sound are the 2 front 5 x 7 and 2 mid range tweeters. but left my car for about 3 weeks while working out the country and starts right up with the fronts working only. the only + of the situation.

EDIT: could I just buy a new amp only and a modulator and/or a line out converter?

Thank you!

Last edited by Psirix; 01-31-2009 at 11:14 PM. Reason: more research done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 11:54 PM
Lifer

C'mon dude. Don't be one of the suckers that are born everyday. Ofcourse their gonna tell you to get new everything. There is a board member on here that can hook you up. I'll divert for him to chime in for ya.

"The problem with doing nothing is you never know when your finished."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks CJ - i have read some on the forum about Mach 460 & the issues concerning sound with changing anything whether aftermarket speakers, deck or amp(s). Just wanted to double check with someone who knows. I appreciate it & Ill look for his reply.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 07:45 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Easiest fix is to replace the bad Mach amp with another Mach amp.

99 Mach systems have three amps. One behind/below the radio, and one on each side of the speaker pod in the rear (Vert amps are under the top storage). The front amp runs all four 2" paper "mid-high" speakers. Each rear amp runs 2 5x7" speakers. If all of your amps were good, you could replace the deck and the whole system would play. However, if you just replace the 5x7" speakers and leave the rest factory, they will only play bass since the amps driving them only put out bass signal. If you remove the factory 2" speakers and replace them with a real tweeter, you will lose lots of midrange signal since the factory 2" speaker plays much lower than a tweeter can.

So...You can replace the bad amp and be done. Or, you can at the very least buy a deck and 2 pair of speakers and bypass ALL the Mach stuff.
Alpine deck $100+
pocket $19
Harness $12
Alpine 5x7 components front $99
Alpine 5x7 coax rear $79 (or you could run components in the rear since you already have the Mach pod which is set up for components).
installation

An amp will make the system sound much better but it is not essential.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks EW

I wouldn't mind just replacing the rear amps. Any chance that there could be short in one of the wires going to one of the amps too?

With that said should I replace both amps (since I dont know which amps is pulling the electricity) and the wires?

Thanks!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 11:04 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

If ANY of the 5x7 speakers are playing, you do not have both amps disconnected. I would try to figure out which one was drawing current. It is doubtful that the wiring is the issue but it could be.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

ok sounds good. I just have to make sure when looking for new amps to get the serials or model number that correspond with ones I have right now? There are 5-7 different ones correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement