New Alpine Digital Media Head Unit - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Thats against the law Man
 
Rreemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,482
New Alpine Digital Media Head Unit

Just giving props for anyone thinking about going with one of these style head-units. I installed the new Alpine iDA-X100 in my daily about a week ago, and this thing is just flat out awesome. I've been through my fair share of head units over the years, both high-end and low end, and this thing blows away most all of the stuff I've had in the past. Highend features and performance for a low end price.

There are some great reviews on the web about it, just Google it. Although trivial, I really like the ability to change the face blue/red, as well as the background image on the TFT-LCD, which BTW the screen is a very nice feature in itself, really sharp quality. Switched over to red it looks great at night with the rest of the dash in my BMW....not an exact match on shade of color, but close enough and doesn't look out of place at all.

The controls are very easy to navigate, the large scroll wheel makes for some real ease of use while driving. I've had some units in the past (especially Kenwood) that damned near needed an orientation class just to figure out the menu's and how to navigate through everything....not so with this one, everything is very intuitive and easy to find. The bluetooth and HD options are great, but still like most others out there, they require add-on modules to make them work, which ends up getting the price on up there a bit more. Additionally, there are 2-USB cables for it...it comes with the standard style that you can connect any USB device into (I'm actually using a 2gb thumb-drive with it right now), but there is also a full-speed iPOD cable available for it, which makes it full control over the iPOD....those are $10-$20 on Ebay.

Anyways, great receiver if you are looking for one....so far I'd recommend it.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=iDA-X100

69/70ish Mustang
Dedicated To The Hater Purists


70' Chevelle RagTop


"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison
Rreemo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Thats against the law Man
 
Rreemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,482
Forgot to mention...the bluetooth feature is really cool on this one, caller ID, missed calls displayed, etc. If you have an iPhone or later Windows Mobile device, you can also stream music directly to the unit via bluetooth....and it works great! I don't have the HD module yet, but planning to pick one up for it.

69/70ish Mustang
Dedicated To The Hater Purists


70' Chevelle RagTop


"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison
Rreemo is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 01:40 AM
DFWS
 
scootro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: none of your fuckin business
Posts: 6,990
I know what you mean! that Kenwood in my 94 lightning is a pain in ass to work and I still have to get the manual out to use it even after 3 years of owning it. Now I do have a old school motorized faced alpine deck in the cobra that I absolutely love!! so far its been in four cars that I’ve owned and sold but have always removed the alpine for future use.

there's nothing like a old school alpine with the green square buttons or even those old Eclipse head units were the shit back in the day

Keepin' The Old School Alive
scootro is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 01:59 AM
DFWS
 
scootro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: none of your fuckin business
Posts: 6,990
deleted.......

Last edited by scootro; 01-13-2009 at 12:33 AM.
scootro is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 05:44 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootro View Post
I also bought a Alpine 7909 Limited Edition only 300 were made for the 30th anniversary in 1997! Ford used them in some mustangs back in eighties. This is gotta be the best sounding ultra high-end CD player ever made! I’ve been saving it all these years until I decide to put it to good use again. Haha


Here are some pics I found of it on the net



I dont think that third pic is a 7909....I'm thinkin 7903 or 7904. I don't see what the big deal is nowadays about the 7909. Granted it was a badass back in 92 and 93 (I had one) and it did everything it was supposed to do and did it well...but in retrospect unless you are listening to your stereo system on a 30 band oscilloscope and not actually using your ears..they don't sound any different than the MUCH cheaper 7903 or 7904. Only other thing it had which I honestly barely used was changer controls for a 6 disc changer. Its a nice stereo, but I wouldn't pay over 100 for one now considering I can get a Kenwood, Alpine, Clarion, Pioneer, etc now for about 100 that plays MP3/WMA, has wireless remote, HD tuner, XM or Sirius, built in 4 channel amp, ipod control, etc, etc, etc...for about 100.

FUCK Canada
ram57ta is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 06:32 AM
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
I've always been an Alpine fan.

It's true about the Kenwoods. I put one in the ol' lady's car, and it's almost as if they designed it to be as challenging as possible on purpose. The book is huge and nearly as difficult to navigate. I won't buy another.
jluv is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 06:50 AM
DFWS
 
scootro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: none of your fuckin business
Posts: 6,990
deleted.......

Keepin' The Old School Alive

Last edited by scootro; 01-13-2009 at 12:34 AM.
scootro is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 07:01 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootro View Post
only reason every one loves it is just because Alpine really did overly build the internals more than anything.

it really does have a unique sound difference between other competitors head units at that time. Nothing really compares to the 7909
Yeah yeah...I know...dual 18 bit d/a converters, dynamic range of 105db, s/n ratio of 105...sure it was technically the best ever made...but considering the environment it was being installed in...a CAR...made all that technical hype just that...hype. I HAD one...and it didn't sound any better to me than the 7903 it replaced....nor could I tell any difference between it and the even OLDER 7902 I had before. Biggest problem I had with the 7903,7904 and the 7909 was that the optical assembly would go out after about 2 years and the loading assembly would also not work in cold weather. I think they were a bit expensive at 1200 bucks. Its 2009...its time to let the 7909 go to the museum.

FUCK Canada
ram57ta is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 11:35 AM
is chilaxing
 
Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,760
That's the one I have in the Stang right now. Eric talked me into it. It's awesome. I have it set to red to go along with the "mycolor". You can hook everything and the kitchen sink to it.LOL
Rafa is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Rolling with the homies
 
evil jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Oak Cliff... that's my hood...
Posts: 43,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rreemo View Post
Just giving props for anyone thinking about going with one of these style head-units. I installed the new Alpine iDA-X100 in my daily about a week ago, and this thing is just flat out awesome. I've been through my fair share of head units over the years, both high-end and low end, and this thing blows away most all of the stuff I've had in the past. Highend features and performance for a low end price.

There are some great reviews on the web about it, just Google it. Although trivial, I really like the ability to change the face blue/red, as well as the background image on the TFT-LCD, which BTW the screen is a very nice feature in itself, really sharp quality. Switched over to red it looks great at night with the rest of the dash in my BMW....not an exact match on shade of color, but close enough and doesn't look out of place at all.

The controls are very easy to navigate, the large scroll wheel makes for some real ease of use while driving. I've had some units in the past (especially Kenwood) that damned near needed an orientation class just to figure out the menu's and how to navigate through everything....not so with this one, everything is very intuitive and easy to find. The bluetooth and HD options are great, but still like most others out there, they require add-on modules to make them work, which ends up getting the price on up there a bit more. Additionally, there are 2-USB cables for it...it comes with the standard style that you can connect any USB device into (I'm actually using a 2gb thumb-drive with it right now), but there is also a full-speed iPOD cable available for it, which makes it full control over the iPOD....those are $10-$20 on Ebay.

Anyways, great receiver if you are looking for one....so far I'd recommend it.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=iDA-X100
Awesome radio, it'll probably be the next one I buy. Since buying an iPod I find myself listening to music on CD's as it's more convenient to simply load it to my iPod. The one exception is my W505 where I'll watch concert videos on DVD in my SuperCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootro View Post
I also bought a Alpine 7909 Limited Edition only 300 were made for the 30th anniversary in 1997! Ford used them in some mustangs back in eighties. This is gotta be the best sounding ultra high-end CD player ever made! I’ve been saving it all these years until I decide to put it to good use again. Haha


Here are some pics I found of it on the net



If you guys continue on discussing older Alpine's please start a new thread. Thanks.




2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew


1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

evil jose is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:47 PM
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
I listen to the Ipod every now and then for a change of pace, but 90% of the music I listen to is on CDs because the sound quality is so much better.
jluv is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:35 AM
DFWS
 
scootro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: none of your fuckin business
Posts: 6,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose View Post
If you guys continue on discussing older Alpine's please start a new thread. Thanks.
agreed! i don't want to ruin Rreemo thread..

Keepin' The Old School Alive
scootro is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:56 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing
 
EW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 9,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rreemo View Post
Additionally, there are 2-USB cables for it...it comes with the standard style that you can connect any USB device into (I'm actually using a 2gb thumb-drive with it right now), but there is also a full-speed iPOD cable available for it, which makes it full control over the iPOD....those are $10-$20 on Ebay.
Radio includes a USB iPod cable (6")which shows album art and has full control over the iPod. Full Speed iPod cable would only be needed for older iPods or if you wanted to run two, or USB stick and iPod at the same time w/o album art. Plus, you could use the AUX+ input cable on the full speed input for 1/8" aux input.

When you install the HD Tuner, you will have to disconnect power COMPLETELY from the X100, then install the HD Tuner, then power up the X100 or it May not rcognize the tuner. AND, the iPod will act a little strange with the HD Tuner connected since it has the iTunes tagging feature. It makes the Ipod function a little slower whe you first plug it in as the deck syncs with the iPod.
EW is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Thats against the law Man
 
Rreemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by EW View Post
Radio includes a USB iPod cable (6")which shows album art and has full control over the iPod. Full Speed iPod cable would only be needed for older iPods or if you wanted to run two, or USB stick and iPod at the same time w/o album art. Plus, you could use the AUX+ input cable on the full speed input for 1/8" aux input.

When you install the HD Tuner, you will have to disconnect power COMPLETELY from the X100, then install the HD Tuner, then power up the X100 or it May not rcognize the tuner. AND, the iPod will act a little strange with the HD Tuner connected since it has the iTunes tagging feature. It makes the Ipod function a little slower whe you first plug it in as the deck syncs with the iPod.
Didn't realize that...thanks for the tips! I do have an older Nano...second gen, and honestly haven't even tried it with this thing b/c the thumb drive has been taking care of me so far.

69/70ish Mustang
Dedicated To The Hater Purists


70' Chevelle RagTop


"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison
Rreemo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome