HD Radio or Sirius/XM? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

HD Radio or Sirius/XM?

Got a nice Alpine deck now and was curious about upgrading it to use HD radio or Satellite. I know with HD you still listen to the same stations but better quality. Satellite would be a lot nicer cept for the monthly fee. Curious though about HD radio, is the quality that much better? Do you get ANY static at all?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Lsx>4.6

Sirius.....No question about it. The small monthly fee is worth it, make sure you spring for the howard stern channel's it makes the morning and afternoon drives alot easier....

No more hotrods.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Lifer

sirus no question as well its awesome!

1967 Camaro SS/RS

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Lifer

I just got an HD radio for my work truck and I have to say that other than the signal not being as consistent as FM and AM...the sound quality is considerably better than FM and there are a LOT more HD stations than you might think. Unfortunately most of them are just a digital version of whats already playing on FM so they sound better.

FUCK Canada
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 05:17 PM
How you doin'

i have had sirius for about 3-4 years now, and i never switch to fm anymore. i listen to stern for the most part, which has a few commercials but nothing like when he was on testicular radio...usually 2-3 minutes per hour or so, but the music stations don't have commercials at all. i'm definitely happy with it.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Shit the lack of commercials sell's me. Seems like these jerk ass stations now have a fucking commercial break every 10 minutes now. Is Sirius and XM the same company now?

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 05:32 PM
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzeran
Shit the lack of commercials sell's me. Seems like these jerk ass stations now have a fucking commercial break every 10 minutes now. Is Sirius and XM the same company now?
yes, but they have somewhat different programming. if you get sirius, you get stern (and others)...the music stations are the same on either xm or sirius, though they're different channel numbers for some of the music stations, but it's the same programming. on xm you get opie and anthony and a few other things... if you get xm, you can get the "best of sirius" with it and get stern and the rest of the sirus specific programming...if you get sirius, you can get "best of xm" which has opie and anthony and whatever else they have. the "best of sirius or best of xm" options cost a little more...you'll have to check their site for the exact amounts. i just have sirius because i mostly listen to the stern channels and the music channels...i don't really care to have whatever xm has.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Sirius.....No question about it. The small monthly fee is worth it, make sure you spring for the howard stern channel's it makes the morning and afternoon drives alot easier....

X2

havent' looked back at regular radio in 3 years

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Lsx>4.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANGGT40
yes, but they have somewhat different programming. if you get sirius, you get stern (and others)...the music stations are the same on either xm or sirius, though they're different channel numbers for some of the music stations, but it's the same programming. on xm you get opie and anthony and a few other things... if you get xm, you can get the "best of sirius" with it and get stern and the rest of the sirus specific programming...if you get sirius, you can get "best of xm" which has opie and anthony and whatever else they have. the "best of sirius or best of xm" options cost a little more...you'll have to check their site for the exact amounts. i just have sirius because i mostly listen to the stern channels and the music channels...i don't really care to have whatever xm has.
Now if they'd just re-sign Bubba I'd be all set for another year's subscription..

No more hotrods.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANGGT40
Thank you! I'll check into the Sirius costs and hardware needs.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Lifer

its well worth it trust me. I love it!

1967 Camaro SS/RS
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Custom Title

Sirius FTW! I'm not sure if my FM radio in the car even works, I've never used it.

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 05:59 PM
T-MINUS

Does HD radio have commercials? If so, why would you even consider it?

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 06:00 PM
How you doin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzeran
Thank you! I'll check into the Sirius costs and hardware needs.
there are several options...if you want to use it in your house too, you can get a sportster (or something like that) and move it from your car to wherever. they're just a little bigger than a cassette tape and some even have rewind and recording capabilities.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 06:18 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Now if they'd just re-sign Bubba I'd be all set for another year's subscription..

i like Bubba, but....................

Stern > Bubba

FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Thats against the law Man

I found out the hard way that XM sucks bad, and so does their customer service....would never ever recommend them.

I've got Sirius in one of the other cars, and I do like it.

69/70ish Mustang
Dedicated To The Hater Purists

70' Chevelle RagTop

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Lsx>4.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlyon

Stern > Bubba
Lol I'm the other way around I started listening to Bubba first then Caught onto Stern....Sig check. Maybe that'll explain why I like BTLS a little bit more....

No more hotrods.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Lifer

Here's the deal....

Anyone who listens to BTLS know what happened to Gene Lasiter? I missed out a few weeks of shows and now he's never on and the barely talk about him.

Sirius radio here. I'll never go back to FM and deal with all those commercials. You get to listen to like 2-3 gays ass shit songs and then 7-8 minutes of KIA dealership ads.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 09:24 PM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlyon

Stern > Bubba
Opie and Anthony > Stern > Bubba
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Sirius it is! I'll check into it more tommrorow. I'll get a portable one that way I can take it with me.

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 07:28 AM
yes, jluv

Sirius has plenty of commercials, especially Howard Stern. Not as much as radio, but still enough to be annoying.

Yes, HD Radio has commericals. There are extra channels (compared to regular FM), but otherwise it's the exact same programming.

The quality with HD radio is better (than regular FM), but not amazingly better. It's nowhere near the quality of CDs, which is kinda what I expected when I got it.

Between the two, I'd go Sirius. You already have FM, and the jump to HD radio isn't a significant one compared to getting a shit ton of new channels with Sirius.

Just don't expect it to be commerical free! I don't know why people think that.

Last edited by jluv; 12-18-2008 at 08:50 AM.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Custom Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
Sirius has plenty of commercials, especially Howard Stern. Not as much as radio, but still enough to be annoying.

Yes, HD Radio has commericals. There are extra channels (compared to regular FM), but otherwise it's the exact same programming.

The quality with HD radio is better (than regular FM), but not amazingly better. It's nowhere near the quality of CDs, which is kinda what I expected when I got it.

Between the two, I'd go Sirius. You already have FM, and the jump to HD radio isn't a significant one compared to getting a shit ton of new channels with Sirius.

Just don't expect it to be commerical free! I don't know why people think that.
Sirius has commercial free music, not all stations.

SO MUCH MUSIC, SO LITTLE TIME
From rock to reggae, classical to country, we offer 69 channels of music…all 100% commercial-free. SIRIUS brings you new and legendary DJs, live performances and artist interviews as well as exclusive channels featuring some of the biggest stars of the music scene.

post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 10:25 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstang
Sirius has commercial free music, not all stations.

SO MUCH MUSIC, SO LITTLE TIME
From rock to reggae, classical to country, we offer 69 channels of music…all 100% commercial-free. SIRIUS brings you new and legendary DJs, live performances and artist interviews as well as exclusive channels featuring some of the biggest stars of the music scene.
I wish they could do that with Howard and the comedy channels.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 11:54 AM
2-7 and still a fan!

Sirius, it's what I have, the Lincoln has it built in, I have a Sportser 5 in my Cobra and Sirius boom box with a Starmate 5 at home and of course you get to listen for free on the internet too

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexchick View Post
I fuck, have sex, make love. If I break out the heels and leather...then a fucking it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutherjuggz View Post
Cupping the bawls always helps with the sensation, Good rule of thumb is to tell the gal to rub the balls any chance/angle she gets.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 05:23 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

I thought Sirius ended the lifetime subscription plan but I got an email today saying it was offered at $100 off. I call them and the guy says "It is now $650 but we're doing a special at $499 for lifetime." I was expecting to hear $399 since it had been $499 for years. At least it is still available but who knows what the future holds for Sirius/XM.

FM is horrible. I tried 7-8 channels the other day just trying to get music, any music to play on the radio. Nothing but commercials on every channel. I do like what HD has to offer like The Ticket on 99.5HD2 but Sirius>iPod>CD>HD>AM/FM.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Custom Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
I thought Sirius ended the lifetime subscription plan but I got an email today saying it was offered at $100 off. I call them and the guy says "It is now $650 but we're doing a special at $499 for lifetime." I was expecting to hear $399 since it had been $499 for years. At least it is still available but who knows what the future holds for Sirius/XM.

FM is horrible. I tried 7-8 channels the other day just trying to get music, any music to play on the radio. Nothing but commercials on every channel. I do like what HD has to offer like The Ticket on 99.5HD2 but Sirius>iPod>CD>HD>AM/FM.
Glad I got the $399 lifetime membership all those years ago! I actually use the internet portion more than the radio itself, since it is now in the Torino, and doesn't get driven that much.

Also, if you have DirecTv, they have changed the music channels and some of the Sirius stations are now available. I am listening to Area on the TV rigth now. I think the channels start in the 800's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement