TV Question, and Mounting Question - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

TV Question, and Mounting Question

I had pretty much made up my mind, to go get the 73" Mitsu DLP that Jared and Al both have. I've finally watched enough crap at Jared's house, to decide that DLP isn't all that bad, and that was the route I wanted to go.

That said, my room layout is an issue. This is pretty much pushing me away from the big DLP, because there really isn't a good way to arrange the furniture with that TV.

Room is 21' x 16'. On one of the 21' walls, my fireplace is dead center. This is a big, brick fireplace with a gas line to get the fire started. Being that the fireplace is the focal point of the room, I think I'm going to have to settle with a 50ish" flat panel, and do a wall mount over the brick fireplace.

I've tried coming up with other things, like setting the DLP on the brick ledge (think TV stand), and building a swing out wall mount, should I want to use my fireplace. I just can't come up with anything feasible, or what I'd do with all the wires and such.

Anyone ever mounted a flat panel over their fireplace, and still used the fireplace? Surely the heat has got to cause issues with the TV. Especially considering this isn't one of those fake decorative fireplaces, with just an open flame and no real heating capacity.

I've been out of the TV loop for a while now, so I'm not sure what has changed since I stopped paying attention to that stuff. My current TV is a 32" Samsung LCD. I've been extremely happy with it, but I'm not sure I want to stay with LCD due to the negativity I've heard about the 120 hz sets.

Just to clarify. I watch a lot of football and basketball. This tv will also be used for gaming (PS3), and most of the games I play are in 1080p. That combined with the Blu Ray, makes 1080p a must.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 03:39 PM
2-7 and still a fan!

I have the same issue with my room, I want a DLP or LED rear projection but the angle is the problem, so it has to be LCD or Plasma for me. Actually I beleive that the rear projections give you a better picture but you have to be centered and so do all of the seating angles.
So with that being said, LCD's are great but the bigger they get the more $$$ they cost. Plasma's seem the logical solution for me, I also have a blu-ray player, PS3 and I watch a lot of sports, so 1080p is a more of what I need. I don't think that a fireplace is going to make that big of a difference as far as heat is concerned.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED32V
I don't think that a fireplace is going to make that big of a difference as far as heat is concerned.

I don't ever foresee a situation where I might have a fire going, and have the tv on at the same time, but if the situation should arise, that's about a 100-150 degree ambient temperature difference directly under the tv. That's GOT to have an impact on the performance/life of the tv.

Don't plasmas already run extremely hot as it is?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Lifer

Buy mine, you won't find it even close to being as cheap as I have it and it's basically brand new with a brand new warranty. Mine doesn't run extremely hot at all.

As far as on topic, I wouldn't go with the 73" due to your room dimensions.

Grant
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
Buy mine, you won't find it even close to being as cheap as I have it and it's basically brand new with a brand new warranty. Mine doesn't run extremely hot at all.

As far as on topic, I wouldn't go with the 73" due to your room dimensions.

Grant

I take it you've got it listed here? I'll go check the classifieds.

You know your shit about tvs. Do you foresee any problems with hanging a flat panel above a fireplace that will be used?

Yeah, the 73" is big, however, you have to see the way the room is layed out. The TV would have been at one end of the room, and my furniture would have been at the other end of the room. So basically, take the 18ish" depth of the tv, and say 36" for the couches, and I'm that puts my viewing distance at 16'6" roughly.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Worship me

It takes a big ass room to put the 73" in and have it look right, it only looks good at my place because the wall it is on is huge and the ceiling height is really high.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Lifer

Bcoop -

It's in the thread below, I just decided today to sell it, because it literally never gets used.

I don't see a problem with it being mounted above the fireplace if that's the optimal position. I've never done one there, but I've seen them there and never noticed any damage to them. I know of someone who's had a plasma above theirs for a good 2-3 years and hasn't had any issues. I'm sure it makes running the wiring behind it a PITA.

If anyone wants a cheap and very nice spec'd 50" 1080p Samsung Plasma; I've had this one for a month and I'm just not using it like I thought I would.

I got it from Circuit City and it's right at a month old.

I'd take $1050 and I'm absolutely firm. It's in perfect condition and still has a year of factory warranty and I believe you can still add the warranty from Circuit City. It's been used right at 2 hours or so in less than a month.

It's the Samsung PN50A550.

http://www.mpcoutlet.com/samsung-50...a-pr-18357.html

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsu...oductDetail.do

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN50A5...557294&sr=8-1#

Last edited by Grant; 12-17-2008 at 04:42 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 05:17 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
It takes a big ass room to put the 73" in and have it look right, it only looks good at my place because the wall it is on is huge and the ceiling height is really high.
The room I have mine in is pretty small, but it opens up to the rest of the house, so people in the kitchen or dining room can watch it too. It's really not bad at all from my recliner though, and that's only maybe 13 feet or so from the screen.

Brent, a TV over the fireplace is just a pita to run wires and kinda tacky looking, imo. Just my .02, of course.

I think you should find a way to make the 73" fit. I doubt you would ever regret it.

My plasmas put off some heat, fwiw. I think they do okay with a little breathing room, though.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Lifer

DLP are a great bang for the buck but the size (depth ) is the limiting factor for many. I also had an issue similar to yours. I ended up with a 60" Samsung Plasma mounted above my fireplace because of the lack of a place to put a large DLP or large screen TV. I had a 65" Samsung HDTV that I sold on here a couple of months before I moved in to my current house because of a lack of a good place to put it.

You'll notice that above 50" the price increases dramatically compared to 30-50".....from a 52" to a 60" is about $1500-2k, any bigger than that and it's even more expensive.

Here's the TV mounted above my fireplace:

--wes
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Packin' up...

Nice house bro ^

Brent, I have a 37-63" flat panel mount for 30 bucks, comes with hardware and all. New. Holla
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Custom Title

Does mounting the TV above a fireplace seem like it is too high off the ground? All the TV's I have ever watched are at a much lower level.

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstang
Does mounting the TV above a fireplace seem like it is too high off the ground? All the TV's I have ever watched are at a much lower level.
I had a 42" LCD above the fireplace and it didn't bother me at all. If youre sitting up close on the TV it may not be the best idea though...
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 06:54 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstang
That's how I feel, too. But I guess if you angle it down it won't be too bad.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark
Nice house bro ^

Brent, I have a 37-63" flat panel mount for 30 bucks, comes with hardware and all. New. Holla

Thanks man.

On the mount, I got a swivel mount that moves up and down and such. It can be angled up so it can be viewed pretty well from the angle the second pic is taken from. It's a catwalk to the upstairs game room.

It also swivels down, which is how we normally view it.

As far as the wiring, it's simple.....took me 20 minutes to run the HDMI cables.

--wes
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesman
Thanks man.

On the mount, I got a swivel mount that moves up and down and such. It can be angled up so it can be viewed pretty well from the angle the second pic is taken from. It's a catwalk to the upstairs game room.

It also swivels down, which is how we normally view it.

As far as the wiring, it's simple.....took me 20 minutes to run the HDMI cables.

--wes

Do you use your fireplace often?
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
Do you use your fireplace often?

Pretty much every night during the winter

--wes
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesman
Pretty much every night during the winter

--wes
How did you set up the electrical outlet?

Newbies, please watch THIS before posting.
www.Lewisvillefishing.net
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaithis
How did you set up the electrical outlet?

I tied into(slaved) an outlet in a built-in (original to the house, would house a 40" TV at best) that's next to the TV . There is an outlet behind the TV now that the TV plugs into. There are a # of ways to do it, I chose that one.

--wes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement