Surge protector talk - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Surge protector talk

First of all, I really don't have a lot of extra room by the TV on the ground. I need something that can protect a 46" LCD.

Would something this small protect is fine? I know nothing about these.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10248165

Am I looking at max currents or joules?

Hmm they have this little guy, like I said I only need 1 outlet.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8223043
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Lifer

Do you really want to trust a $6 surge protector to protect a $1200+ Tv?

LPC: 56152
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWeeC5
Do you really want to trust a $6 surge protector to protect a $1200+ Tv?
Is there really that much of a difference between a 6 dollar one and a 200 dollar one?

I just need something that is small, preferably that can plug directly into the wall.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Lifer

http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/325

What To Look For:

When you buy a surge protector, try to find something better than the $5 or $10 power strip things. Although they are slightly better than nothing, they are notoriously unreliable and most won't tell you when they are no longer protecting your equipment. One good surge and your protection is gone—but they continue to function as a power strip. Very tricky...

Also, when looking for a surge protector, look for one that features a phone line "pass through". Telephone wires can deliver a potent surge into your computer. I've repaired (and seen) more than a few computers that were damaged due to telephone line power surges.

In fact, phone line surges are more likely to cause damage than power line surges. Why? Your computer's power supply acts as a built in surge protector (not a great one, mind you). Even if a surge sneaks through your regular surge protector, the power supply may prevent it from doing any damage.

That said, just because your power supply does some remedial surge protection, it's no substitute for the real thing. Computers get damaged on a daily basis due to lack of surge protection. But I digress...

Back to surge protectors.

A good quality surge suppressor will cost anywhere from $20.00 to $100.00 and be "UL" listed. It should also feature an indicator light that tells you when the surge protection circuit is no longer functioning.

Now, when you start talking surge protection, you sometimes run across folks babbling about clamping voltages, response nanoseconds, and joule levels. Although that is a valid way to compare various surge protectors (and make the speaker look knowledgeable), not every protector gives you that info—and who's to say it's even accurate? Let's look at the "down and dirty" method of finding a good surge protector.

The easiest way to tell if you're getting a quality surge protector is to look at the "connected equipment" warranty. I like the ones that cover connected equipment for up to $15,000 or more. I figure it they are willing to risk 15K +, they're probably selling a good piece of equipment. If it doesn't have a connected equipment warranty, set it back on the shelf and keep a-walkin'

Sure, it's not as geeky as going into a computer store reciting clamping voltage figures, but for most people it will be every bit as effective.

LPC: 56152
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Lifer

http://www.amazon.com/BELKIN-AP20800...143386&sr=1-24

Something like that should be more than enough. You shouldn't need to spend more than about $75 for what you're wanting.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Founding Member

People actually buy these things?

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
http://www.amazon.com/BELKIN-AP20800...143386&sr=1-24

Something like that should be more than enough. You shouldn't need to spend more than about $75 for what you're wanting.
Can you recommend a decent single outlet surge that plugs directly into the wall? Like I said I really don't have much room for something to be on the ground.

I suppose I could run the surge under my bed, but i'm kinda scared to have it there lol I don't wanna wake up to a bed on fire.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Lifer

www.panamax.com

this is what i use

real cobras don't have fog lights
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 11:07 PM
Mexican Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark
Can you recommend a decent single outlet surge that plugs directly into the wall? Like I said I really don't have much room for something to be on the ground.

I suppose I could run the surge under my bed, but i'm kinda scared to have it there lol I don't wanna wake up to a bed on fire.

Quote:
Check your self bro , you're not that cool.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 07:28 AM
Custom Title

In my 25 years of living out of my parents house, I have never had anything damaged by an electrical surge.

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 07:30 AM
Custom Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by grape
www.panamax.com

this is what i use
Almost 700 bucks, fuck that!

M5400-PM Price: $699.95

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 09:03 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstang
Almost 700 bucks, fuck that!

M5400-PM Price: $699.95
all cable lines, phone lines, along with 110 power comes through the unit and gets filtered, and they guarantee $5 million worth of electronics.

real cobras don't have fog lights
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Time Served

I picked up the APC H10 for under $160 on Amazon:

http://apc.com/resource/include/tech...ase_sku=H10BLK

I figured it was cheap insurance when I have $1500 worth of electronics plugged into it.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Time Served

I don't have any really high end A/V equipment. But I have a an Samsung LCD TV and DLP TV and a onkyo reciever with some decent speakers. I also have several pretty decent computers at my house. I like to upgrade my TVs and computers every couple of years.

I've never spent more than like $40 on a surge protector and I've never had anything break. Just don't buy the $5 no-name brand at walmart and you should be fine. Stick to something name brand (belkin, tripp-lite, etc) that has a protection warranty (like up to $20,000 or something like that) and spend like $20 - $40.

I'm sure lots of people here well tell you to spend like $100 - $1000 because omg electricity will destroy your electronics. it might happen but i'm willing to take that risk for a several hundred dollars.

just my 2 cents.

'01 Bullitt #0054
Sponsored Links
Advertisement