Is there much diff. between 720p/1080i and 1080p - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Custom Title

Is there much diff. between 720p/1080i and 1080p

My TV goes up to 1080i resolution, and I do have a Blu Ray player that I think looks pretty darn good (do not see any diff. betwen 720p and 1080i really), but will I see a really big difference going to a 1080p TV? Right now I don't want to just buy a new TV, but maybe next year as prices keep dropping and technology gets even better I might bite the bullet and upgrade.

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 02:56 PM
yes, jluv

Yes.

The difference between 720p and 1080i is hard to distinguish.

1080 is better than 720, but progressive is better than interlaced. So in a way, it's almost a wash.

1080p is the best of both worlds. I notice quite a big difference. Go for it dude!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Custom Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
Yes.

The difference between 720p and 1080i is hard to distinguish.

1080 is better than 720, but progressive is better than interlaced. So in a way, it's almost a wash.

1080p is the best of both worlds. I notice quite a big difference. Go for it dude!

Damnit, I didn't want to hear that! It's liek half of me wants to go buy one, well, maybe 60%, but then the sanity kicks in and says it is a waste of money right now, wait till the current TV dies or they are really, really cheap. I want a minimum of 61 inches, no sense in going smaller than the current set.

Now if regular TV was broadcast in 1080p, I would make the plunge, but since it is just movies, I guess I can wait. maybe...

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 03:24 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstang
Damnit, I didn't want to hear that! It's liek half of me wants to go buy one, well, maybe 60%, but then the sanity kicks in and says it is a waste of money right now, wait till the current TV dies or they are really, really cheap. I want a minimum of 61 inches, no sense in going smaller than the current set.

Now if regular TV was broadcast in 1080p, I would make the plunge, but since it is just movies, I guess I can wait. maybe...
I haven't bought a DVD in over a year. I also avoid going to the theaters because I prefer to watch new movies on Bluray at home. It's that much better.

They are already a lot cheaper than they were a year, or even a few months ago. For something that big, I'd go DLP. Shouldn't break the bank at all. You can always sell the other set or put it in another room.

I am siding with the devil on your shoulder this time around.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 03:29 PM
not exclude

I'd wait until TV is broadcast in 1080p.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm on a boat.

I saw a regular DVD playing in my dad's new Blu-Ray player and I thought it looked great. His TV is 720p/1080i HD. I can't imagine how much better Blu-Ray looks.

<------------ Not progressing with technology well.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Custom Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
I haven't bought a DVD in over a year. I also avoid going to the theaters because I prefer to watch new movies on Bluray at home. It's that much better.

They are already a lot cheaper than they were a year, or even a few months ago. For something that big, I'd go DLP. Shouldn't break the bank at all. You can always sell the other set or put it in another room.

I am siding with the devil on your shoulder this time around.
I have a Samsung DLP right now, it is just a tad over 3 years old, and has broke twice recently, but we have the 4 year extended warranty (Conn's sucks on the repair time). The current one is too big to put anywhere else, I have 2 other HD TV's, one in the bedroom and one in Lyn's reading room.

Next TV will probably be another DLP with the LED engine, or maybe LCD if I feel like spending big bucks.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Yes.....its a V6.

i cant ever tell the difference. but what you can tell is refresh rate, i was watching a couple different 52 inchers at fry's playing the same movie. One with 120hz and one without and my god! the refresh rate is where its at!

These are the demands and sayings of Duncan.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Time Served

FYI, saw a reminder that after the Super Bowl, prices on new TVs historically drop like rocks. So, if you can hang on that long, you might pay a lot less than current prices for the latest/greatest technology.

I'm hoping for a Samsung 46 or 50 plasma 1080p for $999. Or less.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Custom Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pencil
FYI, saw a reminder that after the Super Bowl, prices on new TVs historically drop like rocks. So, if you can hang on that long, you might pay a lot less than current prices for the latest/greatest technology.

I'm hoping for a Samsung 46 or 50 plasma 1080p for $999. Or less.
yeah, 1998 Sears had a 56 inch Mitubishi HD ready TV for $9999.99 at the top of the escalator. I was like who the fuck would pay that much for a stupid TV. Right after Xmas it was on sale for $2999.99 with delivery before the SB, so I bought it! waiting 3 weeks would have saved a few people 7 grand!

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 04:40 PM
2-7 and still a fan!

There is a big difference between regular dvds and blu-ray's, I can't seem to come out of my room since I bought that Panasonic 37 lcd and a sony blu-ray player, I just got done watching 'Wanted' and the picture is amazing, like Jared stated, I don't even want to go to the movies any more. You haven't seen a naked ass like Angelina's until you see it on blu-ray
<---Zoom mode FTW

My Mitsu in the family room is pretty damn good but it's only in 720p, when I go to my room it's a very big difference, I'm like you Rob, I spent 4k on that Mitsu in '99 and it still pretty good but when I come out of my room, it's hard to go back

I'm looking at the Panasonic 58 plasma 1080p (850u), I really want the 65 but it's double the price, same features as the 58, I just can't justify paying the difference ($5999.) for seven inches, (3-1/2 measured diagonaly)
If you watch a lot of sports (like me) Plasma is the way to go or over LCD.*

On Amazon it's $2800.00, which is pretty good, since Best Buy still has that 58 for $3999.00, I'm going to wait til after the SB and see if can get it for around $2500. or even 2K

*I only bought the lcd since thats the biggest I could put in my bedroom armoire, no plasma's are available that small.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Mexican Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED32V
There is a big difference between regular dvds and blu-ray's, I can't seem to come out of my room since I bought that Panasonic 37 lcd and a sony blu-ray player, I just got done watching 'Wanted' and the picture is amazing, like Jared stated, I don't even want to go to the movies any more. You haven't seen a naked ass like Angelina's until you see it on blu-ray
<---Zoom mode FTW

My Mitsu in the family room is pretty damn good but it's only in 720p, when I go to my room it's a very big difference, I'm like you Rob, I spent 4k on that Mitsu in '99 and it still pretty good but when I come out of my room, it's hard to go back

I'm looking at the Panasonic 58 plasma 1080p (850u), I really want the 65 but it's double the price, same features as the 58, I just can't justify paying the difference ($5999.) for seven inches, (3-1/2 measured diagonaly)
If you watch a lot of sports (like me) Plasma is the way to go or over LCD.*

On Amazon it's $2800.00, which is pretty good, since Best Buy still has that 58 for $3999.00, I'm going to wait til after the SB and see if can get it for around $2500. or even 2K

*I only bought the lcd since thats the biggest I could put in my bedroom armoire, no plasma's are available that small.

I am looking to buy the same TV you are....
It was on sale at COnns a couple weeks ago for $2950
I am waiting till its closer to $2k
post up if u see the price go down

Quote:
Check your self bro , you're not that cool.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 02:38 PM

I'm an media idiot.

I have an HD TV....guessing its 720. Can I play the blu rays on it?

Murph

1992 Taurus Half-Breed
whining alternator pulley

Domestic with an Import heart.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 03:28 PM
2-7 and still a fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph Tang
I'm an media idiot.

No you cannot, you have to have a 1080p tv, but once you get a 1080p tv, you can get a blu-ray player and it up-converts regular dvd's to a 1080p, so you have a better picture, still not as good as blu-ray movies but pretty damn good. 780p tv's are pretty good, most all of the providers only send this signal out, only blue-ray (and HD format) are 1080p. I was just upgrading since I had a tv go out so I went ahead and splurged on a lcd 1080p since we have a blu-ray player on the PS3, but if didn't have a blu-ray player I would have only bought a 780p, since they are very inexpensive now.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Custom Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED32V

That's easy to fix, buy a larger armoire!

Murph Tang, you should be able to still watch it and with a better quality than a regualr DVD, just not as good as 1080p. My Blu Ray player has settings to set it to 720p, 1080i, 1080p, just my TV will only go up to 1080i

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 04:45 PM
2-7 and still a fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstang
That's easy to fix, buy a larger armoire!

Murph Tang, you should be able to still watch it and with a better quality than a regualr DVD, just not as good as 1080p. My Blu Ray player has settings to set it to 720p, 1080i, 1080p, just my TV will only go up to 1080i
HAHA, I was thinkin about that, but buying a larger amoire in my house would mean buying a whole new bedroom set
Besides any bigger of a tv would be overkill in my bedrooom, I originaly bought a 32, but it was too small, the 37lcd is just right.

I forgot to mention that the newer blu-rays have a multi-settings for most all tv's
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 04:47 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
I'm an media idiot.

Yes, you can. You just won't get the benefit of having a 1080p picture. It will still look as good or better than anything else you watch on said TV.

You could watch Blurays on an old cabinet black and white TV. But to get the best picture possible, you need a 1080p television and an HDMI connection.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the help. I was a wiz back in the day with S-VHS....old fart now knows nothing.

Blu Rays are so cheap now its tempting to not ask Santa for one.

My HD TV is about 2 years old and still looks good but not a plasma or LCD.

Thanks again.

Murph

1992 Taurus Half-Breed
whining alternator pulley

Domestic with an Import heart.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Custom Title

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I was a wiz back in the day with S-VHS....old fart now knows nothing.

Blu Rays are so cheap now its tempting to not ask Santa for one.

My HD TV is about 2 years old and still looks good but not a plasma or LCD.

Thanks again.
Shit, 2 years old is nothing, mine is like 3 1/2 years old and still looks good on HD channels. I have a DLP, no LCD or Plasma here either.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement