how do i get the BEST picture possible? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
phuk therd gier

how do i get the BEST picture possible?

does anyone on here "tune" tvs?? - or can tell me how to get the best picture possible? ive got it set up correct(i believe) with all the right cables and such, just dont know anything about setting up the tv as far as contrast, color, sharpness, etc...

i just got a 46 inch 1080p samsung lcd and wanna get the best picture possible

04 converted V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 08:38 AM
you cant see me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY04Mustang
does anyone on here "tune" tvs?? - or can tell me how to get the best picture possible? ive got it set up correct(i believe) with all the right cables and such, just dont know anything about setting up the tv as far as contrast, color, sharpness, etc...

i just got a 46 inch 1080p samsung lcd and wanna get the best picture possible
that is a relative question. on a nice tv like that the factory settings are fine. but you may want to adjust to YOUR tastes depending on your vision,your lighting, etc etc. if you really want to tune your tv. buy a THX dvd or blue ray like star wars and use the THX optimizer on the disc to help you get what THX says is the best picture. but honestly i dont think you will be able to even perceive a difference.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 08:43 AM
dead

buy (or download) AVIA home theater setup dvd.

it runs a series of screens to set your contrast, brightness and colors. there is a section for audio too.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
phuk therd gier

ok- will try both, thanks

04 converted V8
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Custom Title

What is your source, cable, antenna, satellite? Most are pretty much plug n play nopw, and you can adjust for personal preferences as mentioned. How is the signal connected, hdmi cable, composite vide cable (red, blue green cables).

Do you have a Blu ray player too, if not, get one, world of difference!

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
phuk therd gier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstang
What is your source, cable, antenna, satellite? Most are pretty much plug n play nopw, and you can adjust for personal preferences as mentioned. How is the signal connected, hdmi cable, composite vide cable (red, blue green cables).

Do you have a Bklu ray palyer too, if not, get one, world of difference!
sources are ps3(bluray), and verizon fios cable box(not HD yet but that will come soon)-

ps3 is hooked up via HDMI cable and fiber optic cable for audio(though it doesnt seem to work so the audio is through the HDMI as well)

cable box is just regular RCA cable i think they are called, the red, white, and yellow ones, but the HD box will be hooked up with composite cables because i dont think verizon fios boxes have HDMI

04 converted V8
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Time Served

DVE - Digital Video Essentials, it can be found at Fry's for about $20. I know they have the DVD NTSC component version, not sure about the Blu-Ray version. The disc has all the test patterns you need for a DIY'er and comes with a simple to use color filter. It has some grayscale patterns that you can do by eye but it not 100% accurate that way. To dial it in perfect you will need some relatively expensive test equipment.

I can tell you that we have "tuned" about 50 or so Samsung LCD's and Plasmas (5 series and above) and with all the picture enhancement BS turned off or set to normal they are generally less than 5% out of adjustment - One of the reason we sell so many Samsungs. We tune contrast/color/grayscale/sharpness.

Hope that helps.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
phuk therd gier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripes?
DVE - Digital Video Essentials, it can be found at Fry's for about $20. I know they have the DVD NTSC component version, not sure about the Blu-Ray version. The disc has all the test patterns you need for a DIY'er and comes with a simple to use color filter. It has some grayscale patterns that you can do by eye but it not 100% accurate that way. To dial it in perfect you will need some relatively expensive test equipment.

I can tell you that we have "tuned" about 50 or so Samsung LCD's and Plasmas (5 series and above) and with all the picture enhancement BS turned off or set to normal they are generally less than 5% out of adjustment - One of the reason we sell so many Samsungs. We tune contrast/color/grayscale/sharpness.

Hope that helps.
that definitely does help- so the higher series samsung tvs generally come pretty well tuned.... i guess its just about hooking it up right and everything then

04 converted V8
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Time Served

Quote:
that definitely does help- so the higher series samsung tvs generally come pretty well tuned.... i guess its just about hooking it up right and everything then
From what we have seen yes they are pretty close. Just make sure the color temp settings are normal and the picture enhancements i.e. Movie mode ect. are all turned off. You can fine tune to your liking form there or use the above mentioned reference DVD's.

Where are you in Plano? I can swing by with a DVD and run a few quick patterns for you to double check if you like.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
phuk therd gier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripes?
From what we have seen yes they are pretty close. Just make sure the color temp settings are normal and the picture enhancements i.e. Movie mode ect. are all turned off. You can fine tune to your liking form there or use the above mentioned reference DVD's.

Where are you in Plano? I can swing by with a DVD and run a few quick patterns for you to double check if you like.
that would be awesome- im near jupiter and 14th

04 converted V8
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Lifer

AVIA or THX Optimizer will help you calibrate your TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Time Served

Quote:
that would be awesome- im near jupiter and 14th
sent PM
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Time Served

calibration....
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Time Served

I got the Avia II dvd from netflix. It didnt come with any of the color filters though, so i havent done that part. I ended up ordering it on amazon for $20, so i'm waiting for it to come in.

But i did setup all the stuff up to color/tint. (sharpness,contrast,brightness,black level) and it looks like shit compared to the preset "normal" that LG has on the TV. The colors "pop" a lot more with their setting and is a lot brighter. I dont know if its because i didnt have to do the rest of the tuning, so i'll try again when my copy comes in. But it kinda confused me to why it looked even worse.

2002 4.6L 5 spd. S281

So fast, I make speedy gonzales look like regular gonzales
Sponsored Links
Advertisement