does anyone actually use 6.1 or 7.1? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
you cant see me

does anyone actually use 6.1 or 7.1?

just got a new reciever and it has 7.1. is this a blue-ray only feature? because ive never seen better than 5.1 on any DVD, THX a couple of times but never 6.1 or 7.1 whats the deal? i dont want to get another couple of speakers and never use them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Lifer

I'm still getting caught up with technology, but from what I know. we are all still on 5.1. Disney is supposed to be the first ones to offer 7.1 on blue rays. Basically getting 7.1 is preparing for the future is the way I understand it.

-04 CTS-V
-10 Jeep Commander
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 08:25 PM
lol, this place sucks now

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
you cant see me

thanks man, i figured it would be a short list. the only ones on there worth a shit is rambo and dark city.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 12:26 PM
dead

Gladiator on regular ole DVD was dts es 6.1
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
you cant see me

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
Gladiator on regular ole DVD was dts es 6.1
hmm. i wonder what is the point? its not like one extra speaker is going to do anything.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Lifer

Have a 7.1 receiver, but I'm on a budget so I'm still only using stereo...sad
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 01:20 PM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurama
hmm. i wonder what is the point? its not like one extra speaker is going to do anything.
well it is a discrete rear channel in a pretty good position. i guess it matters more if your equipment is bad ass or you are an audio nut and you think it matters.

i just run 5.1 just b/c i cant logistically run 7.1 in my living room.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
you cant see me

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion
well it is a discrete rear channel in a pretty good position. i guess it matters more if your equipment is bad ass or you are an audio nut and you think it matters.

i just run 5.1 just b/c i cant logistically run 7.1 in my living room.
im the same way , ive worked in home audio for years and i dont think this new stuff would work in my big ass living room.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 06:48 AM
yes, jluv

There are several regular DVD titles with 6.1.

I haven't bought a DVD in over a year. Strictly Bluray movies, and a lot of them use 7.1. Games, too.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Lifer

I just recently rented a Blu-ray movie with a DTS Master Audio 7.1 soundtrack. I think it was Mr. Magoriums Wonder Emporium.

My Home Theater is 5.1 and that's how it's going to remain. I have logistical problems that would make it difficult to add the 2 extra surrounds in my arrangement. I see it as superfluous anyway. Most audiophiles will take those two extra channels on a 7.1 receiver and bi-amp them anyway to make it remain 5.1, but with additional power going to front left/right.

The majority of titles are 5.1. All of the Blu-ray "core" soundtracks are 5.1 standard bit rate to make them compatible with legacy 5.1 receivers unable to decode HD sound formats.

I've listened to a buddies 7.1 system and I had a hard time discerning that additional surround channel. I heard the surround backs, but not the surround sides. I'm not sold on the extra money for the receiver + two more speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 07:35 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
I just recently rented a Blu-ray movie with a DTS Master Audio 7.1 soundtrack. I think it was Mr. Magoriums Wonder Emporium.

My Home Theater is 5.1 and that's how it's going to remain. I have logistical problems that would make it difficult to add the 2 extra surrounds in my arrangement. I see it as superfluous anyway. Most audiophiles will take those two extra channels on a 7.1 receiver and bi-amp them anyway to make it remain 5.1, but with additional power going to front left/right.

The majority of titles are 5.1. All of the Blu-ray "core" soundtracks are 5.1 standard bit rate to make them compatible with legacy 5.1 receivers unable to decode HD sound formats.

I've listened to a buddies 7.1 system and I had a hard time discerning that additional surround channel. I heard the surround backs, but not the surround sides. I'm not sold on the extra money for the receiver + two more speakers.
With the right source material and the right receiver it's a very noticeable difference. During the heavy shootout scenes on either Resistance game for PS3 (for example), you can definitely hear all 7 discrete channels.

I even appreciate ProLogicIIx, which takes a 5.1 signal and spreads the rear sound to the extra two speakers. It's just more submersive, especially for watching sports and having the crowd going crazy all around you.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 05:16 PM
B-WIZ

Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
If I remember correctly, Weeds is 7.1 if I'm not mistaken.

DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement