What is the difference between these TV's, both DLP - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Custom Title

What is the difference between these TV's, both DLP

Looking to get a new HDTV and want to stick with a 61 inch Samsung so I can re-use the existing stand I have. What is the difference between these two (as far is the LED Engine really better?) Only thing I can really tell is the contrast ratio, would it make that noticeable of a difference?

I did the side by side comparison and the only difference I saw was the contrast ratio.

Best Buy link

Samsung - 61" 1080p Slim-Depth LED Engine DLP HDTV - Sale:$1,699.99
Sharp 10,000:1 contrast ratio

Samsung - 61" 1080p Slim-Depth DLP HDTV - Sale:$1,399.99
2500:1 contrast ratio

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Time Served

The LED really is that much better. You will get a brighter picture and better contrast ratio. Also, you wouldn't get any rainbow artifacts (some people can't see these at all). It also will use less power and it doesn't have a color wheel like the bulb tv does which can hum sometimes and make a little noise. Honestly the biggest difference is that the LED won't need to be replaced for the life of the tv. It's rated at something like 60,000 hours. The bulb in the non-LED tv will need to be replaced eventually and they run like $200 - $300. I think they last like 6,000 hours.

I have an older 720p 50" Samsung DLP bulb televsion. I love it, but if my next tv is a DLP it will most likely be the 61A750 you are looking at. The best bang for your buck television hands-down is probably the 61" LED DLP Samsung as long as you don't need to mount the tv on your wall (ie: Plasma, LCD)

also, you might want to check around, i think that tv can be found for like $1,599 some places online with free delivery.

I think I saw it on slickdeals.net (site is down at the momement) and it was $1599 at either amazon or crutchfield.

'01 Bullitt #0054

Last edited by bullitt54; 11-19-2008 at 01:18 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Custom Title

Thanks bullitt54. bad thing is, I need this ASAP! My current 61 DLP died last night, so I need a replacement before company comes in next week, and Football Sunday!

The current one is under warranty, but it only 1080i, as we bought it in 2005, so I can upgrade to 1080p and watch Blu Ray movies with better quality. Teh fucken Tech can not get out until Nov. 28th, and I don;t want to wait that long!

I bet the colorwheel is what went out. They just replaced the bulb in it and the bulb light is flashing, and no picture and a sound like a fan is rubbing against something. When I took the back panel off, it was really hot in that area, not sure if it normally is or not tho.

Damn Best Buy has none in stock, but Arlington has the 67 inch LED/DLP one in stock (according to the wensite), so I am meeting the wife up there in a bit and will most likely buy it, then rent a Uhaul to get it home.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Time Served

You could check Circuit City and see if they have them in stock. they should price match Best Buy. I don't think Fry's price matches but I could be wrong.

'01 Bullitt #0054
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Custom Title

I hate Fry's, I don't care if it was $500 cheaper, I would not shop there. May go hit up Circuit City tonight, they do need money!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Oooooooh-whee

Did you end up getting the Samsung 61" LED?

The convergence board on the living room tv crapped out last night and that's the very tv I'm looking at. Circuit City has it for $1599 right now.

8/16/05
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Custom Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums
Did you end up getting the Samsung 61" LED?

The convergence board on the living room tv crapped out last night and that's the very tv I'm looking at. Circuit City has it for $1599 right now.

Nah, just got ours fixed instead. Hmm $1599 sounds tempting!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement