EW, JL audio question - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
get8ch

EW, JL audio question

A friend of mine is wanting to put 1 JL 13w7 sub in his Escalade EXT. I was just wondering what kind of amps you would recommend for this kind of set-up. Im mainly trying to figure out what lowest Ohms the speakers will run at and which amp will be best (I believe the w7 are rated 1.5 ohm??) We wanna run as much power as we can to the SUB, Will I be able to get a amp that will bridge down lower than 1 ohm and run the w7 off of it? I guess I need to know what specs the Amp needs to have to perform optimal with the 13w7...any suggestions welcome

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 08:08 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

The 13W7 is dual 1.5 ohm. I would run them in series to get a 3 ohm load. The new JL Audio 1000/1 would be a good choice to run that woofer. PPI has a 1600W amp that would work well too.
Since the JL amps have the RIPS system, running at a lower ohm will not help performance. In most cases, running at a super low ohm load leads to hot amps with a shorter life span, GIANT current drwas on the vehicle's electrical system, and poor sound quality.
Running the lowest ohm is not "all that".
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
get8ch

Quote:
Originally posted by EW
The 13W7 is dual 1.5 ohm. I would run them in series to get a 3 ohm load. The new JL Audio 1000/1 would be a good choice to run that woofer. PPI has a 1600W amp that would work well too.
Since the JL amps have the RIPS system, running at a lower ohm will not help performance. In most cases, running at a super low ohm load leads to hot amps with a shorter life span, GIANT current drwas on the vehicle's electrical system, and poor sound quality.
Running the lowest ohm is not "all that".
Ok, so they are dul voice coil...each voice coil is 1.5 ohms, so you get a total of 3 ohms for the whole speaker right? My friend only want to get one w7 at this time, so we wont have another one to run in series. Do you still recommend the 2 amps posted above(PPI 1600w or Jl 1000/1) with just 1 w7 or would you go with something else? Would a 1 channel amp be the best way to go for these? And is there a certain ohm rating I need to look for to work the best on the w7s.

Sorry for all the questions, just want to get it right....thanks for all your help

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 09:20 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Either amp above will be fine. The PPI is available but the JL has just been released and availability will be limited for a short period of time. I would choose the 1000/1. It will run cooler, draw less current, and has an excellent x-over/EQ.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 03:47 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by Xcessive

My friend only want to get one w7 at this time, so we wont have another one to run in series.
When EW says to "run THEM in series" he is talking about the voice coils of the one sub.

With either amp he listed the 3ohm load will be fine.

I agree with EW on super low ohm loads (losts of heat, lots of current draw and shorter life-span of the amp), you also lose some control of the sub(s), I prefer the tighter bass response of a little higher ohm load.

Yes, you will get more power when you lower impeadence, but remember you will only gain 3db (in theory) if you DOUBLE your power.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 09:12 AM
Lifer

The w7's were created to run at 3 ohms I don't really understand why you would want to run at 1.5 but hey it's your sub. My friend just got a 12w7 which is the single 3 ohm version and he's running 2 jl 500/1's (just couldn't wait for the 1000/1 to hit the market) and I swear the clarity is awesome and you can still hear the punch before you can even see the car coming down the street. I would just leave it 3 ohm because you are going to thump the city anyway. I plan on getting the 10w7 soon for my 92' hatch just have to find the money.

Jerred
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 09:10 PM
Out with your mom

I have JL Amps and they are bad to the bone. I have a 300/4 and the 500/1. I got them used but worth every penny! No distortion, built right, less amp draw, etc.!

Living, the only thing worth dying for.

"It is not what he has which directly expresses the worth of a man, but what he is."- Henri Frederic Amiel

'88 F150, '01 Z71, '85 BMW 745i Turbo,
'79 280S Benz, '85 300SD Benz, '86 420SEL Benz, '87 300SDL Benz
(severely in need of updating, around 14 vehicle current)

I have red hair
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2002, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
get8ch

Quote:
Originally posted by stangcrazy
The w7's were created to run at 3 ohms I don't really understand why you would want to run at 1.5 but hey it's your sub. My friend just got a 12w7 which is the single 3 ohm version and he's running 2 jl 500/1's (just couldn't wait for the 1000/1 to hit the market) and I swear the clarity is awesome and you can still hear the punch before you can even see the car coming down the street. I would just leave it 3 ohm because you are going to thump the city anyway. I plan on getting the 10w7 soon for my 92' hatch just have to find the money.

Jerred
How much did your friend pay for the 12w7? I called on the 10w7 and the 13w7, they wanted $500 for the 10w7 and $1000 for the 13w7 To expensive in my opinion so my friend decided not to go with the w7. Thinking about running some Diamond Audio 12" subs instead.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 08:49 PM
Extreme Clean!

Quote:
Originally posted by Xcessive

How much did your friend pay for the 12w7? I called on the 10w7 and the 13w7, they wanted $500 for the 10w7 and $1000 for the 13w7 To expensive in my opinion so my friend decided not to go with the w7. Thinking about running some Diamond Audio 12" subs instead.

Yes that indeed is some cash, but you REALLY get what you pay for.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 09:50 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by Rue

Yes that indeed is some cash, but you REALLY get what you pay for.

True dat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement