Flat Panel TV guru's inside.... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Flat Panel TV guru's inside....

So Im getting a flat panel tv for my anniversary gift...right now we have a 36" RCA tube tv. I've narrowed it down to getting a 46" or 50" tv. Here's my dilema...I'm not a heavy tv/movie person so I don't need the extreme best. I just like to have my home theater loud and to play my x-box 360(other gift). Both Fry's and CC said that only blue ray will be in 1080p so I'm thinking of going with 720p to save money. I don't have blue ray...so I found this tv but I can't decide if this is a good unit.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsu...oductDetail.do

Can someone checkout the specs and tell me what you think? I'm clueless when it comes to contrast ratio, refresh rate, etc.

It has 3 hdmi ports so that'll take care of the xbox, home theater unit and cable box.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Lifer

Looks decent to me if the price is right go for it. I spent an hour looking at 20 tvs when i bought mine. They all have a pretty good picture but usually the one with the biggest price tag is the best....

98 Brokra
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Lifer

Wait for black friday, you'll get much more for your money. That TV for that price isn't anything special.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Gunga galunga

seems like decent deal, but you can find plasmas for pretty good deals these day... Something to keep in mind is that plasma's screens will glare, where LCD's won't. I had to go with LCD because I have a window right next to the tv

Also do not waste your money on the cables they will try to sell you, buy them online for a fraction of the cost.

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 09:38 AM
dead

i found you a WAY better deal if it does work...

i got you a better samsung (the a550 vs the a450 giving you 1080p) PLUS an xbox 360 for $999. since you want both, i doubt you will find a better deal on black friday.

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/...537f0fp0c0s520

EDIT: the stupid xbox holiday bundle is showing up out of stock everywhere which is keeping you from buying the package...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 09:57 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion

i got you a better samsung (the a550 vs the a450 giving you 1080p) PLUS an xbox 360 for $999. since you want both, i doubt you will find a better deal on black friday.

EDIT: the stupid xbox holiday bundle is showing up out of stock everywhere which is keeping you from buying the package...
Also no interest for 36 months with a CC card.

The a650 and up don't glare nearly as badly as most other brands of plasma. Most LCDs have a glossy coating now anyways so glare is always an issue now regardless of technology. Plasmas inherently are worse though since the outer screen is actually glass.

<--- just bought an LN52A750 yesterday

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:

Damn!! I'm on it!!

edit: awe crap.....the site's currently down for maintenance. I'll be making a visit to the store...by the way, thanks for the heads up!

George
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 10:57 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

sounds like you need a decent LCD if gaming is your element.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 01:04 PM
2-7 and still a fan!

I just recently bought a Panasonic 37in LCD, I went ahead and spent a little more on the 1080p since we have a blu-ray player. I really wanted a plasma since I watch a lot of sports but I was space limited. All of the cable, satellite companys are sending out 720p so unless you have a blu-ray player it's not worth the extra money.
Also I'd like to add that before LCD and plasma TV's all regular TV's had glass screens, we've been living like this since the invention of televisions, plasma screens are also alot brighter than regular tv's so I don't see where the plasma glass is going to be an issue. Plasma is the way to go for anything over 40inches, they have 450hz over the LCD's 60hz & 120hz. Although there is a chance of burn in on the plasmas, all the new ones have screen savers so theat really shouldn't be an issue anymore.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Boss

You can get a Panasonic plasma right now from Best Buy and get a free Blu-ray Player. So that could be a route to go if you are wanting to get into Blu-ray. Last I checked the 50'' Panasonic was 1499.99, so if that's in your price range, that's an easy yes.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Lifer

Quote:

Damn its no longer $999...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
Don't Fuck with DFWStangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 04:01 AM
In the Batter's Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ
sounds like you need a decent LCD if gaming is your element.
x2......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement