Lojack questions - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
!!!SLLAB YM KCUS

Lojack questions

does anybody know anything about this system?? As some of you may know i live in the hood and have a good alarm system but was concidering something a little extra. Ive also heard getting Lojack will reduce your insurance rate?? I dont know mutch about it and wanted to see if some of you may have it or have have it before. TIA

~MILK~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Say What?

Wish i knew. I'd like to know about it too. Got a cop living next to me but that little extra bit of security wouldn't hurt.

'89 LX Hatchback 5.0 - 306, GT40 intake, Trickflow Fast As Cast 190cc, stock cam, 1.6 RR's, UD pullies, 3.73's, BBK shorties, Mac off-road H pipe, Flowmaster 44 series, Stage 2 clutch, Hurst shifter, k-member, control arms, coil-overs, 5-lug'd.
**14.2 @ 96 before motor build**14.3 @ 103 after motor rebuild** leaving off idle, grinding into 2nd gear, missing 3rd gear, on street tires. Need a good T5. Or a decent price on a rebuild. PM me?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 06:11 PM
Genetically Blessed

Fuck Lojack, get a GPS. Pm EW for details.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Lifer

mobileguardian rocks. I have it on my F150 and I am able to login and see where it is and send a shutdown command. You can also have it send you messages to tell you if it exceeds a set speed.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 07:58 PM
In the Batter's Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
Fuck Lojack, get a GPS. Pm EW for details.
x2......

LoJack is kinda of a squirrely system. Basically they system does not get activated until the car has been entered onto the database as stolen. So that means once you realize it has been stolen, call the cops, they come out and make the report, then it has to be entered on the system. I have seen the whole process take anywhere from 20 minutes to several hours. Then once it does get entered on the system a cop car has to be equipped with the tracking device and NOT every car has that. Then if you are lucky enough that a car detects it they have to drive around in the area and wait for the signal to get stronger and basically keep a look out for your car. It never pin points the location on your veh to the officers. I have seen vehicles get recovered with LoJack in 25-30 minutes, and I have seen then take several months to a year before they get detected. Its basically just the luck of the draw with LoJack. I would go with GPS that way you can actualy track it and have a physical address of where your veh is at....
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Eatin that rainbow stew

My wife's old car had LoJack on it It was stolen in Houston (on Christmas Eve no less), cops found it within the hour.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 08:07 PM
2girls1cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrm10SPkZ28
x2......

LoJack is kinda of a squirrely system. Basically they system does not get activated until the car has been entered onto the database as stolen. So that means once you realize it has been stolen, call the cops, they come out and make the report, then it has to be entered on the system. I have seen the whole process take anywhere from 20 minutes to several hours. Then once it does get entered on the system a cop car has to be equipped with the tracking device and NOT every car has that. Then if you are lucky enough that a car detects it they have to drive around in the area and wait for the signal to get stronger and basically keep a look out for your car. It never pin points the location on your veh to the officers. I have seen vehicles get recovered with LoJack in 25-30 minutes, and I have seen then take several months to a year before they get detected. Its basically just the luck of the draw with LoJack. I would go with GPS that way you can actualy track it and have a physical address of where your veh is at....

x2 what he said. GPS FTW!!!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 08:51 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrm10SPkZ28
x2......

True.

We had an officer's wife's vehicle stolen, and it took Lojack about 90 minutes to get the report. They told us they knew where it was, but refused to tell until the stolen report showed in the system.

We waited over an hour after we entered it to get the location.

The bad thing with any live system is if the cops get it occupied, the perps usually run and wreck it.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Packin' up...

What is this GPS system called? I'd like to read up on it more...
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark

what he said.....
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
!!!SLLAB YM KCUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark

www.mymobileguardian.com

Im doing some research on it right now. They have a little demo set up and doesn seem to hard to use at all. Getting to the cost price now

~ MILK~
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Packin' up...

I checked around that site and also google, without finding an up front cost.

Kim, is this something that would definitely lower insurance?
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 01:46 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

GPS trackers are around $5-600 installed and include a backup battery and many optional features like starter kill, or lock/unlock from phone or internet. YOU can track/locate your car from your phone or internet. The tracking company will work with the popo to locate the car but YOU will already have the info. Approx $100/yr to monitor depending upon brand, how many locates/year you want, etc.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk
www.mymobileguardian.com

Im doing some research on it right now. They have a little demo set up and doesn seem to hard to use at all. Getting to the cost price now

~ MILK~

Mine was 299.00 installed by Texan Ford.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 04:43 PM
wassup gangstas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWtechie
Mine was 299.00 installed by Texan Ford.
does your's have all the same stuff EW is talking about? i have concidered putting this on a new car if i end up getting one.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 04:46 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT
True.

We had an officer's wife's vehicle stolen, and it took Lojack about 90 minutes to get the report. They told us they knew where it was, but refused to tell until the stolen report showed in the system.

We waited over an hour after we entered it to get the location.

The bad thing with any live system is if the cops get it occupied, the perps usually run and wreck it.
Something similar happened with Onstar. They knew where it was but refused to tell us until they confirmed it was stolen.

Be sure all these issues are addressed before buying a system.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewozzy
does your's have all the same stuff EW is talking about? i have concidered putting this on a new car if i end up getting one.

I pay nothing yearly on mine. I only have the basic options on mine, I can login to mymobileguardian.com and send a track it command, them I can send a shut down to it. You get look up free every month and I only use mine once in a blue moon.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 04:58 PM
wassup gangstas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWtechie
I pay nothing yearly on mine. I only have the basic options on mine, I can login to mymobileguardian.com and send a track it command, them I can send a shut down to it. You get look up free every month and I only use mine once in a blue moon.
the shutdown command would be the one i am interested in and being able to look it up without a fee.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
!!!SLLAB YM KCUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
GPS trackers are around $5-600 installed and include a backup battery and many optional features like starter kill, or lock/unlock from phone or internet. YOU can track/locate your car from your phone or internet. The tracking company will work with the popo to locate the car but YOU will already have the info. Approx $100/yr to monitor depending upon brand, how many locates/year you want, etc.

Im definitelt interested dude. Can you pm me to see if its compatable with my alarm and price . And are you talking about Guide Point?? If so we carry that at Hawk and its a piece. LMK very interested.

~MILK~
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 02:42 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk
Im definitelt interested dude. Can you pm me to see if its compatable with my alarm and price . And are you talking about Guide Point?? If so we carry that at Hawk and its a piece. LMK very interested.

~MILK~
We have the Directed models or Autopage model.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 03:08 PM

LowJack is awesome. My friend had her car stolen and they recovered it in like 2 hours or something.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 01:36 AM
Lifer

LowJack is cellular signals, so if they take it into the woods, goodbye.

GPS doesn't work if the vehicle is pulled into a garage, storage container, etc.

Just things to consider.

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 07:49 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
LowJack is cellular signals, so if they take it into the woods, goodbye.

GPS doesn't work if the vehicle is pulled into a garage, storage container, etc.

Just things to consider.
However, GPS units can tell you the last known location like the entrance to a garage.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
However, GPS units can tell you the last known location like the entrance to a garage.
and the lojack will continue to broadcast until it's found and ripped out, too.

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 01:36 PM
"Livin the good life"

Theives will always have a step on you. Fuck it sleep in the car, thats FREE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement