Hiding the equipment stack - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Hiding the equipment stack

My new place has a designated closet for voice, data, and media. I would like to stash all my stereo equipment there but have several obstacles. First, how best to control all of it from the living room?

Second, if I put my amp and vid sources in there how can I get video to my projector and plasmas? House has CAT5E and coax run thru out with some rooms having two CAT5E and CAT5 runs for voice and data.

Is there an HD video encoder that will run HDMI feed over CAT5E? Am about to convert over to UVERSE and the STB will plug in via the CAT5E but that still doesn't get my BluRay or DVD vid and audio source out to the other rooms.

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre
1996 Sea-doo Challenger jet boat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyler
My new place has a designated closet for voice, data, and media. I would like to stash all my stereo equipment there but have several obstacles. First, how best to control all of it from the living room?

Second, if I put my amp and vid sources in there how can I get video to my projector and plasmas? House has CAT5E and coax run thru out with some rooms having two CAT5E and CAT5 runs for voice and data.

Is there an HD video encoder that will run HDMI feed over CAT5E? Am about to convert over to UVERSE and the STB will plug in via the CAT5E but that still doesn't get my BluRay or DVD vid and audio source out to the other rooms.

First, for a remote. I chose the Harmony 890. It's IR remote, so you don't need line of sight in order to control your devices. Plus you can program it to automatically turn on certian devices from just 1 touch(hit "DVD", and it turns on dvd player, tv, receiver, etc...). No problems so far. I love it!

As far as getting video to your devices, I would run HDMI. Thats just me though. It took me about half a day to run a 50' HDMI cable to my TV, and another 15' HDMI cable to my projector.

I know nothing about CAT5, so can't help you there.

Be sure to have some kind of vent or fan in your closet. Heat builds up fast, and will kill your electronics!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 10:31 AM
lol, this place sucks now

single story home or two story?

You really would be better off running new wire to where your displays would be, of course in a two story home this may be a huge obstacle. You can use the cat5 that is already there but the cost will be quite a bit more using HDMI-cat5 converters everywhere vs. new cable in most cases.

I am currently going through a similar situation in my home (single story). PM me if you'd like to chat over the phone, as typing it all out here and not knowing all of your plans is rather difficult. I'd be glad to help.

-Tim

DFW Mustangs dot net

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Assume you mean its RF so no line-of-sight needed? That sounds like what I am after. Thanks for the responses, yes, its a two story and most of my AV needs will be on the ground level. And yes, it will be a major PITA to run HDMI with everything being finished out. Would like to utilize the existing CAT5 runs but if I cant do that cheap enough I will consider running HDMI.

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre

Last edited by miketyler; 10-25-2008 at 10:45 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyler
Assume you mean its NOT IR and is RF so no line-of-sight needed? That sounds like what I am after. Thanks for the responses, yes, its a two story and most of my AV needs will be on the ground level. And yes, it will be a major PITA to run HDMI with everything being finished out. Would like to utilize the existing CAT5 runs but if I cant do that cheap enough I will consider running HDMI.

Sorry, yes
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Go to the AMX website look into the NI2000 controler and one of there Modero toutch screen remotes no line of site needed and the remotes have wireless internet capability
you can also get hd capabilities over cat5 with some of there other equipment as well
One other company to con sider would be Audio Design Associates this company specizes in custom av distribution there products make even the hardest situations possable and easier neither company is the chepest but thay have what you need
Also look in to Kramer for scalers switchers and converters and Middle Atlantic for there AXS equipment racks hope this helps
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGasMan
Go to the AMX website look into the NI2000 controler and one of there Modero toutch screen remotes no line of site needed and the remotes have wireless internet capability
you can also get hd capabilities over cat5 with some of there other equipment as well
One other company to con sider would be Audio Design Associates this company specizes in custom av distribution there products make even the hardest situations possable and easier neither company is the chepest but thay have what you need
Also look in to Kramer for scalers switchers and converters and Middle Atlantic for there AXS equipment racks hope this helps

Commercial sales or installation I assume? The NI2000/3000 has been discountined for a while btw. It would be a NI700/900/3100 now.

mike,

check out gefen.com for the good stuff, but there are several paces that offer converters like you are looking for. Here is an example:
http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdtocaad.html

I am a fledgling AMX programmer and their new stuff is pretty spendy, but cool as hell. You can find used AMX on fleabay for cheap, this is what I'm doing.

An idea of budget and what equipment you are controlling/hooking up would help. You can get an AMX processor (Axcent3) on Ebay for under $50 and it will control a ton of stuff. You'd also need other things like a touch panel, a way for the touch panel to communicate with the processor (RF or netwave server box), and programming(expensive for the most part). Of course all of this would require either IR or RS232-485 communication with each piece of gear that that you are controlling. OR you can get a Harmony 890 like suggested earlier and be done with it. There are tons of options to look at, it really all boils down to price and/or budget..
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

This is all good info, thanks. I have lots of research to do now.

Yet another element to this is my zoned audio controller. I recently purchased and installed a Niles ZR-4630 controller and have four of the six zones working. Love it. But it's not too late to turn around and upgrade if its not scaleable to all the sources I want to feed to it (it only supports four sources, one of which is a weak built-in AM/FM tuner that is fucked).

It was just last night we were watching the John Mayer BluRay DVD. It crossed my mind that it would be slick to get that audio source out into the rest of the house for parties and even pipe that video signal to the plasma in the upstairs gameroom using the ceiling speakers for audio.

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre

Last edited by miketyler; 10-25-2008 at 12:37 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Time Served

I'm sure there's a fault in my plan, but if you want to replace the current cable with an HDMI, couldn't you just secure the HDMI to one end and pull it through from the opposite end of the existing cable? Seems like it might work, or at least be worth a shot.

Good luck.

- Jason
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonRR
I'm sure there's a fault in my plan, but if you want to replace the current cable with an HDMI, couldn't you just secure the HDMI to one end and pull it through from the opposite end of the existing cable? Seems like it might work, or at least be worth a shot.

Good luck.

- Jason
That would be sweet, but would never work.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

yes, that main run alone is over 100 ft or so of cable. I am sure the CAT5 is secured in places.

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and run HDMI. Still, isnt going to be easy since there is no access. So then the design has all sources in one central location but then tie into a video switching unit and the feeds run from the switching unit to each TV. Sounds like it could get expensive.

What are the video switching options? What $ could I do this for on the cheap? I want to be able to connect my HD STB, DVD player, and PS3/BluRay. Two of them are HDMI sources. Also need to get my 5.1 audio from the closet to the living room.

1972 Cuda
2003 Infinity G35
2001 1100 Shadow Sabre

Last edited by miketyler; 10-26-2008 at 06:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement